Help please: changing song now changes immediately to first preset in next song.

Androo

Inspired
Hi. Did this behavior change with FW6 or is it just my unit? I could have sworn that paging through my song menus did NOT change my preset until I picked one. Now it does and I don't like it. If I'm in song x, preset y and I change to the next song, it automatically switches the first preset of the next song on. It's really frustrating. Can I get the old behavior back?

Adding some detail on the layout: the offending buttons are the song increment / decrement in the default sets-song layout. Both show as such with no hold function.
1707671819175.png
Thanks!
A

Last edited:
You might be confusing this with 'Banks' and 'Presets'? Or 'Sets' and 'Songs'

Your Layout is named 'Sets-Songs', but your switches are showing 'Songs' and 'Song Sections' in your screenshot. With that arrangement, Even if you could scroll through the 'Songs' without one being selected, how would you select the one that you want when you got to it?

Thanks guys,
Good to know I'm not the only one @wnlively.
@Moke - I could be confusing a lot here, at least that's how I feel. For clarity, this is to navigate within one setlist, not to change between setlists.

Before updating to FW6 from FW5 (no 6-betas) using that same layout, which I think was factory default, I would scroll up and down with the green Song-Increment buttons shown. The red "song section" buttons would display the names of the presets in the "song". I would then select the preset by selecting with the button. Now it automatically and immediately activates the first preset in the song when I page through. This changed with the firmware update so I suppose there was a deliberate change that I hope can be reverted.

The only other thing I can think of that could have an effect was saving all the presets to get gaplessness working. I followed LT's method of changing the input 1 level, shift-RMB and apply to multiple presets. Selected all and saved that change. Seems weird that would have an effect on the layout but...computers.

Much appreciated,
A

Songs -- unlike Banks -- do not have an option to preview or to set what happens when you Inc/Dec. It it the intended behavior that selecting a song loads its first section. They way you want it to work would be a feature request for a "Section Load" parameter in the Song Inc/Dec function: (None/Current/First).

Thank you for answering @Admin M@ . This is confusing because it was working differently before the update. I have a setlist of "songs" that are more presets with a similar characteristic. This is for jamming & improvising. Some are clean, some dirty, some spacey, some weird...whatever. Before updating I could wander through them and pick the one I wanted from whichever category felt right. Now it hard-switches me as I increment up or down and it's very disruptive. Can I revert to FW5 from my backup and get this back?

Rolled back, restored everything and it's doing the same thing. I'm feeling like there's a glitch in my Matrix.

I’m pretty sure Song Increment has always loaded the first preset instantly upon selection.

it needs to show l options like “None, First, Current” like we have for Bank selection in order to do what you want.

Rolled back, restored everything and it's doing the same thing. I'm feeling like there's a glitch in my Matrix.

I will have to agree with Androo. I believe that before the 6.0 firmware update that you could assign to the song which scene open when you switch to the song. Now everything defaults to the number #1 foot when you change songs . I say this because song/set list is the only way that I have ever used FM9 . But hey, if it’s just my silly way of thinking that’s OK . But it would be nice if it could be added as a feature.

I will have to agree with Androo. I believe that before the 6.0 firmware update that you could assign to the song which scene open when you switch to the song. Now everything defaults to the number #1 foot when you change songs . I say this because song/set list is the only way that I have ever used FM9 . But hey, if it’s just my silly way of thinking that’s OK . But it would be nice if it could be added as a feature.

Is it possible that you are remembering the behavior when you set the scene for the first section in a song in the 'Manage Setlists & Songs' menu to "Default"? This will bring up whichever scene was selected when the preset was last saved.

I do see the value of being able to select a song and then have switches for selecting the song section pop up, rather than having it go automatically to the song's first section's selection. I can also see why they didn't bother offering that option if the whole intent of a song is to be able to walk through the sections in the arrangement from start to finish, e.g. Intro, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Verse, Chorus, Outro.

Last edited:
I have to say I'm questioning my mental health over this:alien:

After reverting to FW5.01 and restoring my backup and NOT getting back the behavior I thought I had --plus Admin M@ telling me it wasn't possible in the first place makes me feel like I was hallucinating. On the other hand, this was first thing that really jumped-out at me with FW6. I was doing my thing and it really startled me that my sound was chaning as I was browsing through the songs. It wasn't even so much that it was defaulting to the first preset in the song just that it was loading a new preset at all. I was sure (now I doubt my sanity) that I could walk through the songs in the setlist and not have the active preset change until I chose another one, using the default Layout 8.

The correct I scene in the preset was never my issue. The automatic activiation of another preset when moving through the songs in a setlist is. I guess I'm using it in a way that wasn't foreseen or at least not important enough to program it in. Even so, in my opinion, this current behaviour (activating the first preset in a song immediately on change) is a bit limiting in some other ways: it is less desirable if you make a setlist change during the performance, or if you wanted to do a medley or segue from one song to another; and not neccessarily into the first section. In either of these cases you must silence your instrument in order to change so you don't pass through and activate one or more inappropriate sounds on your way to your next choice. Seems a bit rigid and linear really.

Back
Top Bottom