Help on the Mick Mars tone

Chiguete

Experienced
I'm trying to get the Dr. Feelgood and Girl's Girl's Girls album tones and I've tried several aproches on how to do this but haven't found a good way to get that tone. One of the things that I can't quite replicate is that raw tone that he has that is not the normal Marshall sizzle. Watching the Pete Thorn video that he goes in depht of the mods that where done to this amp it's clear that it's not your normal Jose Mod that the Saturation switch provides. Also he has a very bright tones with a sharp low end and I can't get close to that tunning the guitar 1 step down like he does for the songs. Lastly it's been documented that he uses multiple amps to get his tone but I'm still not an expert on one amp at a time let alone two amps in order to combine them and get the right tone.

If anyone been down this rabit hol and has gotten good results please let me know.

You can try using the Brit #34 Amp, that's the moded version. Also, don't use V30's in the cab block. There RW IR in the legacy bank with T75s, those were the speakers used in the era along with Greenbacks.

There was a video on youtube recently where the audio is Mick's in-ears feed. That was pretty illuminating. Might even be a useful basis for a tone match.

I also read that he used more than one amp at a time.
There was a video on youtube recently where the audio is Mick's in-ears feed. That was pretty illuminating. Might even be a useful basis for a tone match.
This would drive me bonkers.

I also read that he used more than one amp at a time.

This would drive me bonkers.

This is only a recording of his monitor channel. No way to tell how much he's actually hearing and feeling from the stage/PA volume and drum kit, but it wouldn't be a stretch to say he hears a lot more than the what the video demonstrates. We use in-ears with click track and guide, I'm 10 feet from the drummer and don't need any of his kit in the monitor mix.

Man, a lot of his sound is his approach. I’m definitely NOT in the “tone is in the hands” camp, but it’s the way he plays that is instantly identifiable. I don’t even think he’s particularly very good, but there’s no doubt he has his sound and can be picked out of a lineup quite easy.

Honestly he can play thru a Marshall, Mesa or a Twin with a few pedals and I truly believe the end result wouldn’t be all that different. If I were copying Mick (again, I was in a Motley tribute for a minute and used a 2555 in that band), I’d definitely focus more on the articulations and phrasings.

This is only a recording of his monitor channel. No way to tell how much he's actually hearing and feeling from the stage/PA volume and drum kit, but it wouldn't be a stretch to say he hears a lot more than the what the video demonstrates. We use in-ears with click track and guide, I'm 10 feet from the drummer and don't need any of his kit in the monitor mix.
Same. I play to the click. I don’t even listen to the drummer anymore.

I'm trying to get the Dr. Feelgood and Girl's Girl's Girls album tones and I've tried several aproches on how to do this but haven't found a good way to get that tone. One of the things that I can't quite replicate is that raw tone that he has that is not the normal Marshall sizzle. Watching the Pete Thorn video that he goes in depht of the mods that where done to this amp it's clear that it's not your normal Jose Mod that the Saturation switch provides. Also he has a very bright tones with a sharp low end and I can't get close to that tunning the guitar 1 step down like he does for the songs. Lastly it's been documented that he uses multiple amps to get his tone but I'm still not an expert on one amp at a time let alone two amps in order to combine them and get the right tone.

If anyone been down this rabit hol and has gotten good results please let me know.
Get a Brit model. Set the input trim to about 1.5. Boost 1KHz in front of your amp (in the Amp block that is) and 4kHz after the Cab. Trust your ears on how many db you should boost. Low cut in the Cab block around 100 Hz and set a TS in front of your Amp block with the gain at 0, just to “sharpen” the lows.
After that set the Amp EQ as desired/needed.

Come on @Admin M@ , would it have really mattered what amp he used on SATD? Whatever he uses he’s just going to pepper the EQ to what he wants to hear and get approximately in the ballpark with gain. Lord only knows what it sounded like in the room by the time they moved a few mics around then the mix engineer got a hold of it all. End result? Same legendary album and same conversations on forums about how to get “that sound”. He’s that sound. The way EVH was that sound, RR was that sound and on and on and on. Those players ears and what they wanted to hear out of whatever gear they preferred to get their best performance.

Any 600 dollar DSL and humbucking guitar will get you ballpark Motley Crue sound (or the GnR sound or a million other marshally band sounds). I’m all for some good tone talk and all, but a fair amount of this is splitting hairs and missing the bigger picture.

Just my honest, humble opinion on the matter.

Girls Girls Girls is a JCM800. Not sure of the speaker but I’d try Leon Todd’s LT mix 7 IR.
The Dr Feelgood amp is well documented as a kitchen sink Jose. I’d try a Friedman HBE model with the same IR.

Yeha I can't imagine also not hearing the band and just hearing my guitar and a click basicly.... it would make me sad to have to do that.
I didn’t say I don’t hear the band. In fact, due to a less than good mix most of the time I play with only one ear in. I only LISTEN to the click because that is what assures I’m locked in and dead on.

yeah my mix is way more balanced than that, lol. was just saying the click isn't that noticeable after getting used to it.

Back
Top Bottom