help on getting rid of string mute echo - too much gain?

Definitely an AC power, 60 cycle hum. With any gain, it is sometimes unavoidable. But if not excessive, should manageable with proper Gate settings.

I get it pretty bad in my bedroom, but not my office?
  • Did you try anything from my last troubleshooting list to eliminate or minimize the hum?
  • Try turning the Input Gate off. ('Ratio' to '0') to reveal the Hum.
  • Try moving your guitar around at different angles to see if it gets quieter at different spots.
  • Turn your guitar volume knob all of the way down, does the noise stop?
  • Unplug your guitar from the cable, does the noise stop?
  • Unplug the cable from the Axe-Fx II input, does the noise stop?

Definitely an AC power, 60 cycle hum. With any gain, it is sometimes unavoidable. But if not excessive, should manageable with proper Gate settings.

• Did you try anything from my last troubleshooting list to eliminate or minimize the hum?
  • Try moving your guitar around at different angles to see if it gets quieter at different spots.
Had a painful stomachache and got side track. First thing tomorrow - I'll let you know. Anyway to fix it?

To answer your last questions - unplugging the guitar from the cable yes it'll stop, but if I put the cable on my speakers it'll hum.
Unplugging the cable from the Axe FX II input will stop it.

I haven't tried the other four. I'll let you know.

Also to answer your other questions yes, my mac is sitting on top of the axe fx and there's a bunch of other cabling around it. Did try other cables etc, but it doesn't matter. Too many cables everywhere.

1. Is everything plugged into the same outlet? Yes.
  2. Have you tried different cables? (even any XLR output cables) Yes.
  3. Have you tried different guitars? Yes.
  4. Are you standing close to your computer and/or monitor? Sitting - yes.
  5. Have you tried a different room? No...
  6. Are there any appliances close by? Tons.
  7. Any fluorescent lighting close by? No.
  • Did you try anything from my last troubleshooting list to eliminate or minimize the hum? Whatever I could.
  • Unplug your guitar from the cable, does the noise stop? No.
  • Turn your guitar volume knob all of the way down, does the noise stop? Yes. But the noise gate will have this gain bar that goes down eventually.

I also had a question about EQ if you can dumb it down for me?
What's the difference? My objective is to boost mids.
1635978659645.png

This is the answer I got on sevenstring.
i´m not familiar with the axe-fx eq´s and i´m no expert on different types of eq´s, so take this with a grain of salt. i think "5 band const Q" means the Q factor or width of the eq bands stay the same whether you boost or cut.
"5 band var Q" means the Q factor or width gets smaller the more you cut.
and i think "5 band passive" is an eq that only cuts and doesn´t boost. but i think in this context the bands just behave a little different.

messing around with the noise gate it seems like shortening the release is the one that solves it the best? but it messes with the rest of my playing... argh

Back
Top Bottom