Help Needed with Eliminating Buzz/Hum in New Apartment

KaLam1ty

Hey Guys,

I recently settled in a new place, which seems to be giving me issues with my sound!
I don't have a lot of smarts in the the field of routing, but was wondering if you guys could help me eliminate the hum issue I'm having.

I'm using the same exact routing that I've used previously in two locations -- both of which I did not experience a hum/buzz/electric shaver/etc. effect, so I believe it's either bad earth or some nasty interference.
Can anyone help me confirm the problem? ( I believe it's an interference issues, but could it also be bad earth, ground-loop, or combination pizza hut of all?)

Here are my symptoms:
  • NO Guitar and NO TS Input 1 Cable Plugged in = NO BUZZ
  • NO Guitar WITH TS Input 1 Cable Plugged in = BUZZ (This Buzzing stops if I touch any grounded part of the TS Cable, including a cable from inserted into a headphone jack. Wierd.)
  • Guitar with TS Input 1 Cable Plugged in = LESS BUZZ (But doesn't go away if I touch any grounded part of TS Cable).
  • With Guitar plugged in, I get more or less buzzing when tilting/moving the guitar around. Sounds like interference?

I've tried different TS Input cables, but get the same results. They're cheap Monoprice cables though.
How much will the following solutions help me?
  • Purchasing better cables
  • Faraday Sheilding guitar electronics
  • Ebtech Hum X Hum Filter
  • Ebtech 2-Channel Hum Eliminator

My gut tells me interference, but since it's also a new location I'm moving into, I want to know if this could be an electrical issue as well.

My routing is super simple. It goes... [SUP]Behold my MS Paint Skillz[/SUP]

attachment.php

So basically...
  • Everything powered off Furman "Power Conditioner",
  • AXE-FX Output 1 BALANCED XLR -> TRS into Speakers*,
  • Guitar Input 1 TS -> TS into AXE FX (nothing in-between),
  • Computer USB -> USB into AXE FX

Attachments

• Routing.jpg
    Routing.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 248
Since you mention the severity of the buzz depends on which way your guitar is pointing then this would lead me to suggest it is a RFI issue, although this could be worsened by the quality (or otherwise) of your earthing.

Possibly a ground loop of some sort caused by one of your pieces of equipment introducing a potential on an earth? (I used to be plagued by this years ago when running 4CM on an old Boss GT-8.... different scenario, but same issue.)

There are if it's 'not' interference issues (lights, dimmers, monitors).

1. Check plug for grounding and polarity with electric checker.
2. Make sure your guitar is shielded well. Most aren't. Even pricey ones.
3. Single path to ground. All things plugged into same outlet source.
4. Good guitar cables defintely help.
5. If you have rack mount gear place a plastic washer on front and back of rack ear.

If you're still stuck you may have to sport for a beefy UPS system. Whereas you use bad electricity to charge the batteries but the batteries supply constant, quality, voltage. Or call electrician.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Definitely going to pick up some higher quality cables to see if that reduces some of the issues. (Need new ones anyway)
If they do help, it definitely is some kind of EMI, in which case, I'll have to see what I can do about more shielding :S.

Oh, I should note I'm using Humbuckers -- so even with those, I'm getting the ol' electric shaver.

Quick question though -- will a Ground tester, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RUL2UU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00 , help in ruling out Ground Looping issues?

Quick update..

So its definitely interference from an electrical outlet -- not from radio, WiFi, cellphone, etc... At least not directly I don't think.

One possibility is that power wiring could be acting like an antenna, catching anything in the air.
The other possibility, is just bad grounding.

My question is, would something like a Ebtech Hum X (the outlet thing), help for either or both of these issues?

Just a note, my testing method for my conclusion was as follows:
1. Only have AC > Furman > Axe FX > Headphone chained. Nothing else plugged into outlet.
2. Only input 1 TS cable inserted, not connected to Guitar.
3. Wave TS Cable around, until hum go louder, and follow to source. It seems the him got louder as I went to an outlet. Makes sense. So interference is coming through outlet and into the Furman power line (something a conditioner doesn't fix).

But will an Ebtech fix it though?

On second note, is there anything I'm doing which is potentially dangerous, in such case there isn't a proper ground? Lol.

I agree with the above ....RFI and a bad outlet grounding etc.

One other thing you could try....run a heavy duty extension cord to another out let in the house and see if the hum goes away? The ebtech outlet plu may or may not help but at least narrow down the cause of the issue by trying other outlets?

The apartment is fairly small, so I have a feeling all the wiring will interlinked. In any case, good idea!

i will try testing with the extension cord. I'll need to purchase one that's long enough, this weekend.

Hm I know these are only for ground loop, which im not sure is my problem. But i suppose I should just bite the bullet and try it then, huh? Worst comes to worst, I can just return it back to amazon I guess lol.

I suppose these are handy to keep around for live too. I'll let y'all know the results when they get here Sunday.

Does it do it when the Axe isn't plugged into the USB on the PC? Mine buzzes like crazy when it is plugged into my PC on another outlet but is quiet when it's not. It's also fine with headphones when plugged in but when I kick on my power amp it has the buzz when plugged into the PC. It also buzzes with a different power amp. I suspect it's a ground loop but haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it yet.

Based on research for my own problem, your problem retnuH, does sound like a Ground Loop.

Mine, however, still has a hum with or without the USB connected; which is why I'm a bit unsure of the issue. I may just have a Ground Loop right at the source, whihc is why I'm gonna give the Hum X a try. If it doesn't fix it..well.. :fatigue:

The Ebtech Hum X is absolutely awesome. Solved my problem with the same set up a few years back. I keep a couple of them handy.

I have the same issue, always have with both the axefx2 and ultra. Funny thing is I didn't have the problem with real amps in the same setting.

Dimmer switches can cause mayhem. I too have an Ebtech Hum X. These really help. It can also be the grounding in your guitar.

"NO Guitar and NO TS Input 1 Cable Plugged in = NO BUZZ"
This indicates the guitar is the source of the buzz, rather than a ground loop. right?
Have you tried another guitar?

Indeed, I have tried with 2 other guitars and get the same noise - so I don't think it's a grounding issue within the guitar. But it could be maybe electrical fields though.

None of my guitars have any ”proper" shielding though - just the usual aluminum taped backplates that most guitars come stock with.

If the Hum X doesn't solve my issue on Sunday, I'll buy some copper tape to see if that helps.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys. Y'all have been very helpful.

Indeed, I have tried with 2 other guitars and get the same noise - so I don't think it's a grounding issue within the guitar. But it could be maybe if fields though.

I none of my guitars have any ”proper" shielding though - just the usual aluminum taped backplates that most guitars come stock with.

If the Hum X doesn't solve my issue on Sunday, I'll buy some copper tape to see if that helps.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys. Y'all have been very helpful.
Same here, all high end guitars too.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

So if it IS just a noisy environment, and the guitars are wired OK, then you should be able to rotate the guitar until the noise becomes almost gone. There should be an orientation that does this...

So if it IS just a noisy environment, and the guitars are wired OK, then you should be able to rotate the guitar until the noise becomes almost gone. There should be an orientation that does this...
For me yes almost, but not quite, and with single coils Its worse.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom