Help me with remorse. MacBook Pro Content

electronpirate

Axe-Master
I just bought a new MacBook Pro. Picking it up tomorrow. I've been living with my old '17 inch which I love...but it just doesn't get it done anymore on certain things like Logic and CPU intensive tasks on the newer OS.

I've had the damn'd thing for 7 years. But they sure do get you on price. Help me feel better about this rather than the 335 I wanted to buy.

R

I’m all Mac, but the MacBook Pro line has been plagued with issues over the last years. USB, keyboard and now the cooling issues with the latest ones. I hold off for a while.

Ha! I'm still on my last generation 17" MacBook Pro for audio work. It has almost all of the I/O that I need and performs perfectly as a 'frozen-in-time' platform.

Sure, new things like plug-ins and other updates keep in lock-step with computer advancements. Fuck it. I just like to have things work and have grown fatigued with constantly setting up new devices. Plus, most of my gear is Firewire and I don't wish to fart around with adapting to Thunderbolt.

Something to help you feel better: current macbook pro is better than the last version where micro-dirt could lock up the keys. And they just pushed out an update to fix the thermal throttling.

That said, I played with last year's touch bar macbook pro, and not having an escape key is idiotic omission. I think the 2013 macbook pro 13" was probably the most user-serviceable and upgradeable "modern" laptop.

Not to open a can of worms, but if Steve Jobs was still alive, heads would be rolling and products and software would be better.

FYI, I'm still rocking my 2009 tower thanks to 2013 macbook pro SSDs on PCI cards.

i think we are gonna love our new MacBooks...I got the15” base I7 CPU with 32GB memory (finally) and splurged on the new eGPUby Blackmagic...a few software enhancements such as the Better touch tool https://folivora.ai/. Will make it much more fun and functional..the speed increases are very obvious to me..just wish the fans wouldn’t need to kick in every time I use Logic, AxeEdit, and other taxing apps.....

Last edited:
There will be no remorse once you fire it up and hit record for the first time! I have been holding out to see if the iMacs get updated soon. All my Macs are from 2012. Last year I upgraded my 21inch iMac with an SSD following the iFixit instructions. It flies now but I really want a 27...if those get upgraded with 8th gen CPU’s then I will be buying.

I’m in line to pick one up soon. Would love to hear some more reviews. Anyone loading up massive Native Instrument samples? What external drives are you using?

It's the best laptop in the world.

This is why I buy them. It seems that most of the issues over the last few years have been resolved. I love my 17' Macbook, but it does have some age issues (hell, don't we all.)

Agreed that Jobs would have heads rolling down the streets. I think Apple has spread themselves too thin. Do a few things really well please.

Outside of the pricetag, I'm good with it. Just got the Text that sais it's ready to pick up.

This is why I buy them. It seems that most of the issues over the last few years have been resolved. I love my 17' Macbook, but it does have some age issues (hell, don't we all.)

Agreed that Jobs would have heads rolling down the streets. I think Apple has spread themselves too thin. Do a few things really well please.

Outside of the pricetag, I'm good with it. Just got the Text that sais it's ready to pick up.
.....if your last Mac is the 17”.......don’t forget the dongles and/or a thunderbolt 3 hub......

Yeah, I remembered to get a dongle so my USB can go to my Axe III.

It's also in my mind to get a larger SSD. Factory they charge too much, but an authorized dealer here can install a larger one for less than half that price. Still want to start it out pretty lean.

hoping for mac VR in near future... was also hoping yhat it would mitigate the macbooks fans , but so far doesnt seem much help there..i am finding that the included Usb hub in the eGPU is speedier and perhaps more stable than some other thunderbolt solutions

... was also hoping yhat it would mitigate the macbooks fans , but so far doesnt seem much help there..

I tried all the tricks to stop the fans from kicking in on my late 2013 15" MBP, unfortunately the fix in the end was the fact that the battery was swelling up so Apple replaced my whole motherboard. That solved the fan issue nicely but cost me £199!

Also, I used to leave my MBP running the whole time (let it go into sleep mode). In the morning it would still be warm even though it wasn't working - I think that contributed to the swollen battery. Now I turn it off when I don't use it.

None of this info may be useful to you if you have a brand new MBP, but its good to get the habit right from the start.

Outside of normal wear and tear (replaced hard drive, took it in once since it wouldn't boot and it was a simple 'Hard Reset' that fixed it, and a problem with the video card that they fixed for free. My old '17 has been a monster workhorse. But it's doing some odd things now, freezing occasionally, and when it comes back up, it goes completely through an OS installation.

The writing was on the wall, so I bit. It's waiting for me in the car to get out of work. I'm not worried about keeping it on. I think I've turned it off completely maybe once for a few days while on vacation. Otherwise, always on.

It's amazing that a computer that supposedly always works, spawns so many threads regarding how it does not work. :D:p

Back
Top Bottom