Help me understand using OWNHAMMER impulses

rifflord22

Inspired
I'm confused about these. They are recorded with certain mics, so shoudl i be turning off (leaving null) the mics in axe edit when i use these? or do i import them and experiment with mics as usual

i know they are rated 1 through 10 depending on how close the mic is to the center of the cone...what is the difference betweeen mics and mixes? you can import either as a cab right?

ahh im so confused...im just kind of loading things up randomly and getting a lot of different good sounds but i have no fucking clue what i'm actually doing!

Really simple ... 1 is brighter and 10 is darker and everything in between

Every ir is "cooked" and mic'ed ... The mix is an ir resulting of various mics already mixed for you .

Nobody can tell you what is good or not ... Use your ears ...

Sure is better to start using NONE in the mic of the CAB BLOCK ... NOT NULL !!
NULL is for simulating PROXIMITY EFFECTS

You can mix every ir as you want with CabLab if you want and if you feel it necessary ( maybe not !! )

Bigger suggestion and most useful tool in this forum ... DOWNLOAD AXEFXSEND ... A little tool created by our french friend in this forum Al Grenadine

This tool helps you in auditioning , picking and "fine choosing" wich ir is good FOR YOU .

I repeat , WITHOUT this tool is normal to feel yourself overwhelmed by soo many possibilities ( thousands of ir [emoji33] )

YOU'll be no disappointed ... For sure , and is free ( contribution is always well accepted for a great help )

Actually the newest Axe edit makes it very easy to audition cabs.
Use the "browser" in Axe Manage Cabs.
Not sure if they used Al's app for inspiration but its great to do this all within AE.

AxeFXSend still being better ... IMO ... You can pick ... A Folder run every cab in the folder / change cab manually or with timing intervals / pick what you like hitting the space bar / reloop automatically the cabs just picked ( the bertter ) and take another or few others loop fine tuning your decisions over so manty ir's .. Then finishing you can save those 4/5 ir in another folder . Now yoou have 4 ir and not 200...

AE can't do that ... Almost for now

I'm confused about these. They are recorded with certain mics, so shoudl i be turning off (leaving null) the mics in axe edit when i use these? or do i import them and experiment with mics as usual

.......I turn off the mics in the Axe cab block as the mic is already 'baked in' in the IR's. But you can experiment and see what sounds right to you
-------

i know they are rated 1 through 10 depending on how close the mic is to the center of the cone...what is the difference betweeen mics and mixes? you can import either as a cab right?

.........With mics the IR is made using only the recording using the specified mic, with mixes the IR is made using a mix of several recordings using several different mics, just like you're normally do in a studio setting - no approach is is better than the other let your ears decide which type of IR (mic vs mix, and position) you prefere

---------

ahh im so confused...im just kind of loading things up randomly and getting a lot of different good sounds but i have no fucking clue what i'm actually doing!

........ Go easy on yourself, find a speaker that you like, choose either a mic or mix you like and try each position of that IR.
Then experiment with other IR's when you have the time. Many have found a certain range of positions in ex. 5-7 that they like on almost all IR, or a favorite mic or combination of mics that always works for them. With a little experimentation you'll probably find some preferences of your own that'll make it a lot easier and faster for you to narrow in your search on the IR's that be best for you

Hope this helps
RB

Thanks for the replys guys i'm about to download axefxsend and give that a shot.

so with the 'mixes', do you typically use one for each cab (like you would with the mics) or do you turn off the second cab and only use one mix?

Trust your ears ... You can do what you want!! It's the digital domain ... Close your eyes and listen... There's no mix and no mics... Only "sounding cabs " !!

If you want to put a mic on a Mix ... Do it !! And listen to the results !
If you want to put a stereo cab with a Mix and a Mic ir ... Do it !!
If you want to do that , then add a mic on the cab block and even touch the cab drive or the delay to change the phase ... Do it !! There is no wrong !! Only good results against bad .... FOR YOU !

IMHO it's better to start letting the things simple ... First find few ir that you really like with al ast 70% of your guitars/pickups/ amp choice ... THEN ( and a while sure has passed by ) start experimenting hard if you feel the need

Music is the Target ... So many ways to step this road to achieve the sound that's looping in your head !

Thanks man i was just wondering what the 'intended' use for the mixes were or the starting point

mother of god im getting some monster tones out of this already

Back
Top Bottom