Help me understand the grid

Joero6

Inspired
Since I bought my Axe fx 2 I have always used it in a traditional manner. One line of the grid from input to output with 1 amp block and effects blocks. I was recently trying something new and split the signal so i had a "Y" from the input to 2 outputs. Not only was it louder, it felt a little more articulate? Not sure, but what did I actually do to the signal? I want to start doing more complex routings now but have no idea where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Would like to try using 2 different amps at once, as well as maybe sending a wet signal and a dry signal to 2 separate outputs. Do i need to do something special to make the signal go to the different cabs?
My Axe is set up as follows at the moment. Guitar> whammy> wah> patchmate pedal switcher> Front input of axe> Output1L> tuner> Patchmate again> single cable with Y splitter to both inputs of Matrix Power Amp> channel a into 4x12 cab and channel b into 4x12 cab. Thanks Joe

It was more articulate simply because it was louder. You just perceived it as “more.” Splitting to a second row that returns to the first row increases the level because the 2nd row is just as loud as the first and rejoins to add that “just as loud” volume. I believe it’s 3dB.

I think about it like a breadboard

Or you can think about it as ins and outs with each block as a splitter, or can be bypassed

Essentially a breadboard LOLL

Thanks for the replies so far, but I really need somebody to take a sec and explain this a little. I want to start complex signals but do not even know where to start or how that works. I see these signal paths with shunts sticking out that go no where and items coming in and out of the path and I really want to understand the logic behind it. I also would like to see a few examples of how people are running 2 heads at once for a blended sound. I want to know how to split my signal to 2 separate cabs. Best ways to run dry and wet paths individual, or dry with separate blended signal. I have had my axe for about 5 years and the more I mess with it, the more I find out I don't know jack squat about what it can do. I just know I want to be able to move past the simple chains I have been using. Thanks Joe

It was more articulate simply because it was louder. You just perceived it as “more.” Splitting to a second row that returns to the first row increases the level because the 2nd row is just as loud as the first and rejoins to add that “just as loud” volume. I believe it’s 3dB.
6dB, actually. Double power is 3dB, but double voltage is quadruple power because P = V²/R....

Thanks for the replies so far, but I really need somebody to take a sec and explain this a little. I want to start complex signals but do not even know where to start or how that works. I see these signal paths with shunts sticking out that go no where and items coming in and out of the path and I really want to understand the logic behind it. I also would like to see a few examples of how people are running 2 heads at once for a blended sound. I want to know how to split my signal to 2 separate cabs. Best ways to run dry and wet paths individual, or dry with separate blended signal. I have had my axe for about 5 years and the more I mess with it, the more I find out I don't know jack squat about what it can do. I just know I want to be able to move past the simple chains I have been using. Thanks Joe
Have you read the manual? There is a section all about The Grid starting on page 28.

It explains a lot and shows example of 2 Amps and Cabs among others.

Aside from the gain increase of 6dB for parallel rows, just think of a shunt as a virtual cable.

How would you connect something in the real world? A cable from one device to the next, etc.

Splitting to a parallel row is like a Y-cable.

Having shunts that go nowhere makes no sense, as that's like a disconnected cable.

Also, read about the Send/Return blocks.

Some things are much easier to do in the Axe Fx than the real world. For example, you can run 2 Amps into a single Cab.

But rather than just saying "I want to make more complex presets" it would be better to have specific goals.

As you learn how to do one thing, the next thing will build on that knowledge.

If you give a specific example of what you want to do you will find folks the help you understand how to do it.

I think of the grid like a mixing console and patch bay rolled into one, with many routing options. My favorite chorus sound takes 5 blocks to put together, side-chained with the dry signal, to get a total of 12 'voices' going. It's very lush without being washed out in mush....

I think of the grid like a mixing console and patch bay rolled into one, with many routing options. My favorite chorus sound takes 5 blocks to put together, side-chained with the dry signal, to get a total of 12 'voices' going. It's very lush without being washed out in mush....
Can you show me an example of this, it sounds like the stuff I am wanting to try.

Have you read the manual? There is a section all about The Grid starting on page 28.

It explains a lot and shows example of 2 Amps and Cabs among others.

Aside from the gain increase of 6dB for parallel rows, just think of a shunt as a virtual cable.

How would you connect something in the real world? A cable from one device to the next, etc.

Splitting to a parallel row is like a Y-cable.

Having shunts that go nowhere makes no sense, as that's like a disconnected cable.

Also, read about the Send/Return blocks.

Some things are much easier to do in the Axe Fx than the real world. For example, you can run 2 Amps into a single Cab.

But rather than just saying "I want to make more complex presets" it would be better to have specific goals.

As you learn how to do one thing, the next thing will build on that knowledge.

If you give a specific example of what you want to do you will find folks the help you understand how to do it.
Yes, I have read the manual several times, but some things still do not make sense or are not explained in a way that I understood. For example, while the manual does show an example of 2 amps running together, it also states to use the cab blocks balance to pan signals hard left and right. I never use cab blocks in my presets because I am using real cabs and not IR's. So do i pan the signal a different way? Joe

Can you show me an example of this, it sounds like the stuff I am wanting to try.
I have the 3, but the concept is more or less the same.

I set up a multi-voice chorus, a multi-voice pitch detune, and a multi-voice delay, all 100% wet, and feed them all from a Y'ed cable after my cab. I use a mixer block to mix this back in with the dry signal on the other branch of the Y.
Screen%20Shot%202019-10-19%20at%201.41.27%20AM%20%281%29%20a.png

This preset also has a Filter block set to let mostly the mids through to the chorus, pitch, and mult dly, which is switchable, to give a different timbre to the chorused sound.

Last edited:
Yes, I have read the manual several times, but some things still do not make sense or are not explained in a way that I understood. For example, while the manual does show an example of 2 amps running together, it also states to use the cab blocks balance to pan signals hard left and right. I never use cab blocks in my presets because I am using real cabs and not IR's. So do i pan the signal a different way? Joe
I've never had a need to do that, but I think one way would be to use a Vol/Pan block in place of the Cab block.

However, if you post a new thread called "How do I use 2 Amp blocks with real cabs" you'll get help on that specific topic.

I set up a multi-voice chorus, a multi-voice pitch detune, and a multi-voice delay, all 100% wet, and feed them all from a Y'ed cable after my cab. I use a mixer block to mix this back in with the dry signal on the other branch of the Y.

This preset also has a Filter block set to let mostly the mids through to the chorus, pitch, and mult dly, which is switchable, to give a different timbre to the chorused sound.
Th

That is cool, that is like the stuff I have been wanting to try. Thanks Joe

Back
Top Bottom