Help me quit the band

At this point it sounds pretty fragmentated anyway.
Would it really surprise anyone ?

I bet others have the same thing on there mind as you. Just need someone to take that step.

Some Bands are like ex-wives...you need to leave them as soon as possible and move on! Trust me, you won't regret it...

signed
"Experienced"

Start bringing your wife/girlfriend to practice and ask her opinion on songs and image while practicing. It will end soon enough.
Now that is a suggestion that would work!!

My 2 cents would be - take it slow (which is what you seem to be doing by taking a break).
See if some of the other guys now step up and try to find new players.
Don't quit, just let it rest a bit. It really may make your other members realize they miss/need that part of their life. Or it will make them say - I like not gigging, so the time is right to pack it up. Either way, it's either a slow ramp back in, or a slow ramp down. No drama.

You need one last gig. Do it with as little preparation as possible. This way you have the catalyst for the big blow up. Hopefully folks get drunk. The big blow up is always better if alcohol is involved. No smoking weed, we wouldn't want reason to win the day. When the gig starts going south, everyone needs to start drinking more. Don't hold back. Let tempers flare. Quietly cover up your Fractal gear and get your guitars in a defensible position. Then, start yelling into the mic how none of the other losers were stepping up to the plate and how you're tired of carrying their sorry asses. Knock something over that's not yours but doesn't cost too much either. You want to get things rolling as cheaply as possible.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

This reminded me of my last gig with a band in 1984. Before the last set I put my main guitar safely in it's case and in the car. The set ended when the bass player (on uppers+downers+whisky) took his bass off and started heading in my direction. So I flipped my cheap-o backup guitar into Louisville Slugger position and got ready to swing. Fortunately his girlfriend and a few others intervened and nobody had to go to jail. There's nothing like playing your last gig in an old house trailer that's 5 miles out in the middle of nowhere.

A few years back some local band here was experiencing drama. Fortunately for the rest of us, there was alcohol and a few band member girlfriends involved. So it was not just a band fight. Not just a drunk band fight. But a full on drunk band fight with cat fights thrown in. In the end the bass player lost his shit completely and packed up to leave. He was screaming outside the venue how he'd "show them". Then he pushed his bass amp stack down a flight of concrete stairs. Yeah, he really showed them. The look on his face was priceless just as the rig went airborne.

The situation you're in is very similar to what I'm going through right now. Sounds to me like your role is to be the "driving force" of the group right? Bands are like relationships but instead of dating one person you're dating a bunch of people who are all dating each other and everyone has their own "baggage".

Whoever is the "driving force" has a lot on his plate and being the "boss" is rarely fun. Honesty works like a charm though, it may or may not end the band. I'm not even sure where it left me in my situation but I got rid of being "the boss" and now nothing's happening... so I guess I'm doing what everyone else was doing for all these years. :D Okay that's a little bit mean but not too far from the truth.

Ian just try and remember why you wanted to be in a band in the first place. Was it for fun or was it for trying to be successful? If you're not having fun nor getting anywhere with the band, what's the point? It's a waste of time and life is short. There's nothing wrong with having a jam group and hang out and have a few beers. Don't burn bridges.

What if they're not lovers?
Then it's all good. There is no harm in rehearsing but there needs to be an objective, a collective vision and a plan. Maybe the band objective and how to get there needs to be discussed. Every situation is unique so who can give advice - but the stories and ideas here make for an interesting thread that might help someone.

Was it for fun or was it for trying to be successful?

Seriously though, if anyone on this forum thinks at their age (we all know or need to have it broken to them easy or hard that 99% of us here do not have the talent, looks and youth to "make it" in the music biz) they're going to be successful beyond having fun they need a slap upside the face with a broken E string to calibrate their life expectations to reality.

Sorry I'll rip the tape off quick. If you're here, you didn't make it. @Admin M@ is not flying out to set up your rig. Just enjoy yourself.

Define "make it". That it really is up to each one of us to define for ourselves. In my case, I'm in a band with 2 other guys that I've know for 25 years. We play very regularly, enough that it actually turns out to be a really good paying part time job. It more than covers my hobby expenses, and I have lot's of fun doing what I like, playing music. That was my goal. Yes, be realistic with your goals, but still set them and achieve them.

But about bands, and quitting them, and moving on...

I was in a 4 piece original band where the singer quit after we released 3 albums. The drummer was/is actually a very capable sing. So we did the Genesis move and carried on as a three piece and released 3 more albums. The moral of that story is sometimes members don't need to be replaced.

The drummer of the 3 piece original band decided he wanted to change musical directions and play rockabilly, something I enjoy, but wasn't wanting to commit to as a project. So I just took a break for a while and spent more time with the family. The moral of that story is that it's ok to take a break.

I was also in a cover band that went through 14 member changes over 3 years. We just never could get solid footing, and the constant tryouts and rehearsals to get new members up to speed just made it not fun anymore. The band finally folded and I moved on to the next project. The moral of that story is sometimes it's ok to end a project and start something new.

Like I said, I'm in a 3 piece cover band now that's been together for 4 years, and I've known the guys for 25 years. The drummer has actually been the drummer in every band I've been in. And when I haven't been in a band with him, we've still remained close friends. Aside from the cover gigs, we still write and record together, strictly for fun and to keep our writing chops up. In fact, while we had time to kill before a wedding gig, we recorded a music video for one of our original songs. It was fun and a great way to kill time. Anyway, as stated before, don't burn bridges. But more importantly, don't focus so much on the importance of the band, but focus on the people. If you've met someone who you've made a personal and musical connection with, keep them in your life. If there is at least one person you've enjoyed working with over the years, chances are you will probably get something going again with that person sooner than you think. It usually just happens that way. It's ok to end a band. The people will still be there, if you choose to keep in touch, etc.

Define "make it".

Making and playing music is your career. It pays for your life and the lives of your dependents. It doesn't have to be any more convoluted than that.

Edit: read a little further and what you described is a hobby or side thing at best, as most of us here are hobbyists as well. Everything you wrote kinda proves my entire point, which is nothing more than idle thoughts. Don't take it too seriously. I'm not trying to accomplish anything except work out some thoughts on the subject.

Edit - read a little further more, and here's just an oh-by-the-way from my observation of what folks on forums like this one write:

If you include the word "original' in your description of yourself and your band, good money says it never gets out of your home town possibly even out of the garage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fro
Back
Top Bottom