Help me pick apart these fx

shnaggs

Inspired
Just wondering if you guys could help me pick apart these fx in this part of the song. Its the right side guitar @ 1:36. It seems like it might just be a phaser and delay, but it sounds really wet, not wet in the sense of mix, but wet in the sense of sounding liquidy. I am not able to replicate it and hoping you guys might be able to school me!

Circa Survive ~ The Glorious Nosebleed - YouTube

Liquidy - I've gotten it w/ my Axe Fx Ultra, with a phaser or a flanger.

There could be factory presets on the Axe II - such as "No Quarter" (phaser I believe)...congrats to who ever developed that one!
As I do, begin with something close, then tweak/learn/listen. A touch of rotary can help add to a liquidy sound, IMHO. Good luck.

Sounds like a phaser and delay to me. The amount of gain makes it hard to tell 100%. The phaser is a bit like Johnny's part at 5.48 of Paranoid Android.

Sorry for taking a bit to get back with some feedback. Definitely phaser or flanger before distortion. I tried with fx after amp block and they were way too over powering. I used a script 90 flanger I believe and got kinda close, but I have issues with the delay. For some reason the delay in the axe is so hard for me to dial in to my liking. Its probably just my noobishness!
Tone Collector, what would you recommend with the rotary? Before, after amp block? settings?
I'm also wondering if he is using an expression pedal attached to the fx and oscillating ever so slightly to give it more of a wavery sound.
Andrew Male, very similar to what Johnny did in that part...so F'n cool! FX are not my strong suite, and I am finding it hard to get along with them. I must say that Line6 crap makes it so easy to dial in a delay, or flange, etc. thats close to your liking. I just have to look at the Axe's FX in a much more scientific way.

Tone Collector, what would you recommend with the rotary? Before, after amp block? settings?

Proly after amp & cab...next to the real liquidy fx = phaser or the flanger. Also, you wownt need much of the rotary, proly single digits of the mix knob. Settings - default, as is.
Lastly, with Axe Edit once you get the signal chain set up, then click & drag things around, and listen & learn to what sounds best.

Yeah, phasor+rotary came to mind, but with a decelerating rotary rate (or that deceleration artifact could be an illusion caused by everything else that is going on).

Back
Top Bottom