Help Me Match This Dream Metal Tone (clips)

hp/mp

Inspired
One of if not the most important tones for me to try to capture is by guitarist Deron Miller's (from the band CKY) metal tone in his mid 90's band Foreign Objects.

Here's some clips mashed into one that you can stream or download:

http://www.4shared.com/file/134297525/2 ... Short.html

What I know is that he was probably using a Ibanez RG570 guitar and in the first clip and quite possibly the rest, he was using a Peavey Ultra 120 amp. He was probably using wound G strings too.

It seems like it might be a pretty easy/basic metal tone to get from the Axe, but I've never gotten real close and am not terribly familiar with metal tones in general, so I'm hoping some of the metal guys around here will be able to point me in a good direction regarding the Axe ;) . I have a Schecter C-1 diamond series, LP, and strat, and I'm thinking the Schecter is my best bet.

I've tried the Marshall and Peavey amp sims, and basically all the other ones, but especially regarding the first clip I'm suspecting there's some kind key unique thing going on (in addition to EQ) because I've never heard a tone just like it - the subtleties in the palm muting for example. I think there's some high-mids and highs boosted in addition to delay/lil verb, but there's definitely something else that I believe is outside the "tone is in the fingers" realm - although that definitely is a contributing factor here. I've tried the Peavey 5150 sim with 4x12 cali/german cab + EQing, but admittedly I just haven't tried that hard because I'm not too sure what to look to adjust. Tips?

Back
Top Bottom