Help me make my Neural Parallax copy better :)

MackieFX

Experienced
I got a trial of Parallax so I could try replicate it within the axe.

Im using 3 filters for low/mid/high splitting, with lows hitting a compressor and mid/high going to drive pedal(B7K) and 5153 Blue amps. I have a GEQ at the end to mimic the parallax also.

There is a LOT of EQ in the Drive pedal - not sure if this is a good thing to do
Parallax.png

Right now the top end is far too present and the mid band seems a lot wider than in the parallax even though the filter is cutting the same frequencies.

Figured there are some Axe Wizards here who could help me with this :)

Attachments

• Parallax.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 33
If you're running out of filtering options, I'd suggest splitting first with a crossover block and then filtering those two signals down further with filter blocks.

Also, you're recombining the mid and high signals at the drive block -- was that what you meant to do? You'd be doubling some frequency content doing that by summing the two signals at the input to the drive block. Might account for your "mid band seems a lot wider" problem? Try using two drive blocks and not combining the lines after you split them until you're post-AMP blocks?

If you're running out of filtering options, I'd suggest splitting first with a crossover block and then filtering those two signals down further with filter blocks.

Also, you're recombining the mid and high signals at the drive block -- was that what you meant to do? You'd be doubling some frequency content doing that by summing the two signals at the input to the drive block. Might account for your "mid band seems a lot wider" problem? Try using two drive blocks and not combining the lines after you split them until you're post-AMP blocks?

+1

Check the factory presets BI-AMP PLEXIS (III) and POLYFUZZ CROSSOVER (FM3).

Another consideration regarding "cutting the same frequencies" is that the plug-in isn't showing the Q and you'd want to make sure your Filter blocks use the same Q.

I'd also consider combining the three signals using a Mixer block. It gives you a single place to balance each line's level and pan them if you want. And then put your gate block after the Mixer block.

You've got plenty of CPU so go wild with more blocks! :D

Didn't realize I was mixing them! thanks for that :D - Ive updated the patch
I'd also consider combining the three signals using a Mixer block. It gives you a single place to balance each line's level and pan them if you want. And then put your gate block after the Mixer block.

You've got plenty of CPU so go wild with more blocks! :D
Another great tip thanks!

Another consideration regarding "cutting the same frequencies" is that the plug-in isn't showing the Q and you'd want to make sure your Filter blocks use the same Q.

Thats a good point, I will mess around with the Q!

Ive given up on the parallax emulation for now - but I did create a nice preset in the mean time, please take a look and tell me what you think :)

Attachments

• MackieBass.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 32
You can also use the Multiband Compressor, just turn the bands you don't want from "Off" to "Mute." If you don't want any compression on the remaining band just set the ratio to 1.

So in your preset, for instance, you could replace the low end path with a MultiComp. (provided you are not married to the particular compressor you've used).
You could try the other MultiComp for either the mid range path or the high end, maybe with some gentle compression depending on your needs.

Sticking with what you've got, you could try replacing the mid range filter with a bandpass instead of using the low/high cuts, for a little more control.

I will admit I love Parallax on bass!!!!
It takes like seconds to get a great sound.

I would love to be able recreate something similar with the Axe 3! I’ll give these presets a go to start with!

I will admit I love Parallax on bass!!!!
It takes like seconds to get a great sound.

I would love to be able recreate something similar with the Axe 3! I’ll give these presets a go to start with!
Ive found it REALLY difficult to get the mid range like in the parallax, the low end is actually really close - I think what people are saying about the mid freq range is probably pretty important - right now im in the process of trying to find a guitar amp with that sort of tonal profile.

Please let me know what you find!

Im not sure how I'd go about doing that - should I just use 1 amp or have the signal split and do one tone match per frequency?
I'd start by matching the end of your signal chain with the output from the parallax plugin that you like.

Or you could do it band-by-band if the parallax lets you solo a band.

I'd start by matching the end of your signal chain with the output from the parallax plugin that you like.

Or you could do it band-by-band if the parallax lets you solo a band.
Yeah it lets you solo a band - I've never tried tone matching, is there a great tutorial out there?

Im sure Leon or Cooper has one ....

Sounds great to me! I just added more of that really low end to the signal by bumping that filter up a bit.
Agreed - I had to dial back the guitar amps a smidge and boost the bass, but the approach is rock solid. I love my Parallax plugin. It's how I found the thread!

Back
Top Bottom