Help me make a purchase decision

I need help on if I should buy an Axe Fx 3, fm8 or fm 3.

Off rip money is not the issue

My work flow is I don’t plan on re amping

I make mostly hard rock but I love using fx as well

I’ll never use 4 cabs in a row

I’m 50/50 on using 2 amps at a time

I also use bass

I like using a lot of sounds

I think the FM3 would be a decent choice, but then I don’t get as many presets that I can utilize and if I use the FM9, I figure well might as well use the axe fx 3 but…..

I really wanna use the Austin buddy packs and he has a lot of flor switching so idk man…

Input of any kind will be great. Sorry for the crap post. Also I hope it’s in the right section.

If money and portability aren't concerns, you can't go wrong with an Axe III and FC-12. Top of the heap for sure. If I were gigging and traveling a lot, I would personally go with the FM9. To me it's the best all around compromise between power, control, portability, and price.

FM3 vs FM9 is all about portability vs power and control. Which is more important to you? Both can store the same number of presets and user cabs. Both can use the same FC switch functions, but the FM9 has more of them. FM9 also has twice the DSP power and support dual amps.

Axe-Fx III is a flagship masterpiece, and has an edge in features and many other ways... EXCEPT portability and integrated footswitches.
FM9 provides plenty of resources, and also has the benefit of being an "all in one". Some call it the "Goldilocks" product (Juuust right).
FM3 is perfect for those who want Fractal Audio quality but are most concerned about portability or price.

Axe-Fx III is a flagship masterpiece, and has an edge in features and many other ways... EXCEPT portability and integrated footswitches.
FM9 provides plenty of resources, and also has the benefit of being an "all in one". Some call it the "Goldilocks" product (Juuust right).
FM3 is perfect for those who want Fractal Audio quality but are most concerned about portability or price.
What he said. I've owned all three, kept my Axe-fx III for studio and FM9 for stage. Sold my FM3 and FC-6, but used them a LOT and was quite happy with the configuration.

Thanks for the reply’s. Yeah one thing I didn’t think of his portability won’t be an issue because it’s all studio use. I don’t know if I’d really use for controllers other than to tap the things that Austin buddy has programmed.( if that makes any sense. I know you can manually set things in and off from what he programmed.

Power is a thing cos I do love using fx and I want crazy sounds to use.

I also plan on buying another audio interface and using spidf to connect to the interface and usb to edit.

I would go with the Axe III and FC-6, it provides more than enough switches for basic live or studio use. I play live 1-2X every week and bought the FC-6 because the FC-12 wasn't available at the time and I wanted to use the Axe III live right away. Had every intention of getting the FC-12 when it became available, that was 3 years ago. Don't ever feel the need for more switches, the FC-6 is more than capable.

Bought the FM3 thinking it would be great to use live but it just sits on my desk. I use a lot of time based effects and while the FM3 could do a lot of what I want/need, the Axe III just makes things so much easier.

I was in the same position three weeks ago. Have had the fx3 two weeks about a week in I ordered the fc12 and some dynamic cabs. This is an incredible beast. I didn’t need the fc12 but after finding things I like and things I want to do it made more sense to add it for more immediate control. Ev are next. So my advice is this if you like sounds mixing things up and shaping tone they will all work but the fx3 has so much more room to play. As to two amps and cabs at a time. Several years ago I discovered mixed cabs and amps and have never looked back.

Last edited:
You really can't go wrong with any of the choices - each has its own selling point. I've got an AxeFX-III and an FM-3. I love both - just for different reasons.

The question you really need to answer is, "how much do you want the latest and greatest firmware?" Don't answer that just based on today. What will your answer be in a week? a month? a year?.

Search the forum to find the dates of the last 3 or so releases for each platform. That (among other reasons) is why my AxeFX-III is my workhorse unit and my FM3 is a (VERY capable) backup.

To be clear....I'm not saying anything bad about firmware release dates. I'm just saying that, if I'm being honest with myself, frequent updates are important enough that I'll pay for the flagship product.

Based on what you have posted I would pop for the Axe FX III and an FC6!. If you had said that you were going out and gigging hands down FM9 all day long!

I started with the Axe FX3 MkII Turbo and an FC12. Had that setup for a couple of years. I sold the Axe FX3 and the FC12 and now have the FM3 MkII Turbo.

The Axe FX3 was great, but I didn’t like the form factor and didn’t need the extra horse power. Couldn’t be happier with FM3. Love it!

Back
Top Bottom