HELP ME! I'm having Line6 thoughts

Reminds me of the time I sold my LF Jr because the MFC's were coming "very soon". I think it was another 8 months before I got one. And that was after being on the waiting list for a few years. I wasn't too happy about hearing they were sometimes being sold on the website while I continued to wait.

I don't agree with the policy, but at least I am going into the Axe-FX II queue with my eyes wide open.

It's a great peice of gear(POD HD500) I have it multi-task for me. I have it plugged into a mixer so I can play it straight. at the same time it's plugged into a Peave 3120 via the 4 cable method, also at the same time it's plugged into a EVH 5150III(FX Loop) just for effects. And to finish off, I have the midi plugged into my Axe FX Ultra as a foot controller :) And it also controls my software plugs: Amplitube, Guitar Rig etc

Last edited:
I almost pulled the trigger on an HD500....but I found an Ultra instead! That should keep me more than busy until my number, current in the 100's, is called.

By all accounts the HD stuff sounds pretty damn good. Ola on YouTube (feardedse) did a vid where he compared a HD300 recto to an Ultra on new recto. I actually liked the HD clip better. That this isn't to say an Ultra can't be dialed in way better and you know how YT messes with the audio quality.

At any rate, good luck with whatever you choose to hold you off and here's to the list moving fast!

Logical reaction. If you can not get the product you want, you first will think again if you really really need that product. Secondly it is likely you will go to the competition which is also fueled by the dissapointment of the first product. Third and last stage is that you buy the competition's product based on other specification and custumor orientation of that product and manufacturer.

This is happening everyware. So go for it. Buy that HD500 or 11R. It are just tools, nothing more nothing less.

playing both, I really think the HD500 is great for everything in the higher gain realm.. If I only played metal, I probably would of stuck with my HD500, but since cleans are #1 priority for me, I sold my HD500 and trying to sell some other things to pick up a Standard, hoping the cleans are abit better than the HD500, but honestly I still have some doubts it will be, the HD500 was really good.

I originally was going to buy a real tube amp again, a top of the line one.. but I went to the store to try all the best amps they had around here (Fenders, Mesa Lonestar / recto/etc, H&Ks, many more) and honestly the HD500 came out on top of everything except the Mesa Mark V for higain, and the Lonestar for cleans. Unfortunately, neither of those amps could do both cleans and distortions good enough for me, so I am sticking with the modeller game, and going to try the Standard.

My point being; While the HD500 may not be the axe-fx, its pretty damn close, to the point where Im very hesitant to spend 5 times the price on one.. If I wasnt able to sell the HD500 and my Randall RM4 to cover the costs of a Standard without adding money, I would of stuck with the HD500. Its just that little extra clean tone I needed.. and the fact I want a rack unit, not a floorboard.

By the way, if you do get the HD500 for now until your II comes, you can always use the HD500 as a MIDI controller once the II gets here. Its a very solid MIDI controller, easy to program and a great backup incase the II malfunctioned on stage; you would have another amp/effects unit thats 95% as good.

I've got an interim 11r and it's a very nice piece of gear. It's no AxeFX (IMO), but still very good.

Oh, and I tried the HD500. I forced myself to keep it the entire 30 days and tried very hard to like it, but I think it pales in comparison to even the 11r.

but the x3 is older technology, whereas the HD is their newer technology and new algorithems, etc, so it would be a more expensive step backward in technology?

I'm using an HD 500 right now. I sold off most of my analog pedal board to fund my Axe purchase....then they announced the AF2. So I found myself with a big bank account; a hobbled rig; and a long wait. I play in a working cover band so I needed something...so I bought the Line 6.

It took about 4 shows worth of tweaking, but now I am pretty happy with the sounds I'm getting. The quality of some of the effects and DSP limits are a little annoying, so I solved that by getting a TC nova system to run in the loop of the HD ...so much for a single grab and go setup!

I use an HD 500 live too. Just used one this past weekend at a party. One side atomic one side board....sounded great. Now at home I use my Standard which to me is still head and shoulders above the HD. But for live playing and convenience of the all-in-one floorboard it's a great piece of gear. I'm glad I stayed out of the fiasco of selling my Standard to fund a II though........I will wait wait wait for a while...........

I just bought a hd500 last night from musicians friend they have a 45 day return policy return it for any reason you want. Idk how long the wait for the 2 will be so I'm going to try his for a month if i like ith I will keep it if not return and keep waiting.

I once had a Pod XT Pro - absolute garbage in my humble opinion. Bey hey, we've all got different ears and Pod might be your sound.

I once had a Pod XT Pro - absolute garbage in my humble opinion. Bey hey, we've all got different ears and Pod might be your sound.

the XT pro is like.. 2003 sounds.. totally different. The HD500 is just about on par with the Axe-FX, to anyone who does a legitimate unbiased A/B, you can get very similar tones with the same dynamic feel. The obvious issue; the HD500 has so very few amp models so far, but the ones they do have is very good.

But judging the HD500 on your prior experience with the company is not a valid judgement IMO, I mean, from all the threads i've read on how many malfunctions and reliability concerns the Fractal Atomic wedge has, it wouldnt be right to label the Axe-FX as garbage too, would it?

If you can't get a good sound from an HD500, its a user error.

Obviously, the Axe-FX is going to be better, solely due to how much more is included in the box (amp sims, effects, routing options, controls, etc etc) but tonally, theres little difference. Only reason im now eventually going with the Axe is because I want a rackmount unit, theres no Pod HD rack yet, and the Digitech GSP1101 just doesnt cut it.

Last edited:
The Hd 500 is ok to use live but it can't touch the Axe in a recording situation. and even though its a big step above previous line6 processors its not in the same league as the Axe. You are wrong about there being very little difference in the Axe and Hd500. sorry

Does anyone have any opinion on how the HD series compares to the Software modellers out there?

Back
Top Bottom