help me finish mixing that metal song...

vondano

Inspired
the song is kindov complicated so I'm not sure anymore where i'm heading...

anyway...

I think they may be too much high fizz in the main guitar sound (axe-fx, IIc+ model)...and I think it could use 2-3 db more of overall volume...

any critique/help would be appreciated,

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=441370

the song is the first one: May be the End

thanx!

p.s. you may skip to 1 min to skip the intro...

Definitely skip the intro to get the the good stuff. I loved it. The gritty distortion works for me. There are times I think the melodic lines deserve to be more up front in the mix like at 1:32.

Great stuff.

One thing: I think the snare couldd use some more body. Don't know how though.

Regards,
Marco

thanks for the tips guys,

I'll play with the e.q. a bit to help the snare, maybe add a bit of mids?

any more tips are welcomed,

I hope to finish this song by new year... it's suppose to be the finale of a futur concept album...

some transition toward the end are not super-fluid...I may rework that too...

nico

I really liked the intro and the tones there. It was all well done. Nice prog stuff. Keys fit well too.

Dream Theater fans?

hey thanx a lot,

I used to like dream Theater,

now i'm into Devin Townsend a lot (kindof funny cause he's on this board too now)

Ayreon is also one of my fav. Band/project, and lot's of other kind of music (from tango to Daft punk to Opeth, etc...)

I'm one guy in cold Québec trying to make cool music with my pc and my guitar...this song is quite the typical prog/metal stuff, but I usually try to go for something more new or less explored (or at least try to explore it in a new way...)

I now have a band with a violin, a girl singer, a keyboard, a drum and a bass, so we are working together on improving my songs and playing live.

I dream of one day make a living out of my music... I doubt i'll succeed (cause i'm realist, and living in Québec where this kind of music is not mainstream at all and where no big label would ever sing an artist of my kind) but I love music and guitar so much that I keep doing it for myself.

anyway, thanx for the nice comments,

any input on improving my tone/mix/musical ideas would be welcome.

Nico

Cool.... Good luck with it!

Never heard Devin's music. Any recommended links?

vondano said:
hey thanx a lot,

I used to like dream Theater,

now i'm into Devin Townsend a lot (kindof funny cause he's on this board too now)

Ayreon is also one of my fav. Band/project, and lot's of other kind of music (from tango to Daft punk to Opeth, etc...)

I'm one guy in cold Québec trying to make cool music with my pc and my guitar...this song is quite the typical prog/metal stuff, but I usually try to go for something more new or less explored (or at least try to explore it in a new way...)

I now have a band with a violin, a girl singer, a keyboard, a drum and a bass, so we are working together on improving my songs and playing live.

I dream of one day make a living out of my music... I doubt i'll succeed (cause i'm realist, and living in Québec where this kind of music is not mainstream at all and where no big label would ever sing an artist of my kind) but I love music and guitar so much that I keep doing it for myself.

anyway, thanx for the nice comments,

any input on improving my tone/mix/musical ideas would be welcome.

Nico

Devin's music is quite different from album to album,

you may hate one album and love another...

I like almost all of it from SYL to Addicted,

chek out is website at www.hevydevy.com

The YouTube clips are all over the map! Not that into the heavy cookie monster metal stuff..... The Budda test clips and Floydish ones were nice but never went anywhere for me. Any other clips or mp3s that showcase his guitar playing? I have heard about him for years but never checked anything out.

vondano said:
Devin's music is quite different from album to album,

you may hate one album and love another...

I like almost all of it from SYL to Addicted,

chek out is website at http://www.hevydevy.com

SML59 said:
I can't help you but I want you to tell me when you'll release your album ;) !

hey thanx a lot!

I have no idea when i'll release anything... I hope to release something one day... I have material composed for 2 albums right now...

thanx anyway!

i'll be sure to let u know ;)

Back
Top Bottom