Help me find some progressive bands

Hey guys,

I'm very tired of writing songs in 3/4 and 4/4 with my band, and I figure the best way to get out of this is to start listening to music in odd meters that changes time frequently. What are some prog bands you can recommend to me that can help give me an ear for odd meters? Thanks!

Planet X, porcupine tree, dream theater, meshuggah (advanced metric modulation stuff) are constantly in my playlist. Transatlantic is a great band too, neal morse and mike portnoy = Beatles meets genesis stuff.

some not yet mentioned...

on the more modern side we can add to those mentioned already:
Tool
Opeth

personally I like the more classic stuff

Yes - early / mid 70's
Genesis - early / mid 70's
Rush - late 70's
PFM - Chocolate Kings album
and of course.. the god fathers of getting 'out there'.. King Crimson [early / mid 70's]

Looks like I got some CD's to buy, thanks for the recommendations guys. Just saying, still open to more input from everyone!

of the classic prog, my faves are:
Yes: Yessongs [live album], Going For The One
Genesis: Foxtrot, Wind and the Wuthering
Rush: Permanent Waves

more modern
Tool: 10,000 Days
Mastadon: Crack the Skye
Dream Theatre: Train of Thought, Awake

Meshuggah, opeth, animals as leaders, mastodon, porcupine, tree cynic, textures, gojira, between the buried and me, Dillinger escape plan, converge, shaihulud,.

Hi, New here.

I suggest you check out The Gagliarchives (The Gagliarchives - The Finest in Progressive Rock), a weekly Prog Rock radio show (Every Sat night @ 10p Eastern) streamed over the Internet. THere also a nice stream on Aural Moon Radio - Home

Some current groups...
The Flower Kings
District 97 (Singer was an American Idol finalist. H3ll just froze over)
Riverside
Discipline (The band on Strung Out Records or you may find syourself with some Ska/Punk)
Astra
In addition to PT mentioned above, Steven Wilson's solo albums are terrific
Karmakanic
Agents of Mercy

To add to the 70's 'classics':
Gentle Giant
Magma
Van der Graf Generator

+1's to most of the ones mentioned in previous posts.

Bob

old school prog rock:

Jethro Tull (some albums and songs more than others, but Thick as A Brick and Passion Play have their moments)

Kansas (Magnum Opus - has one of my favorite bass solo tones at the 1 minute mark)

Some faves:

Porcupine Tree: "Sound of Muzak" from In Absentia
Porcupine Tree: "The Start of Something Beautiful" from Deadwing
Porcupine Tree: "Nil Recurring" from Nil Recurring, a sort of ep companion to the Fear of a Blank Planet cd
Porcupine Tree: "Even Less" from Recordings (the extended cut from the Recordings rarity/b-side collection, not the studio cut from the Stupid Dream CD)
Porcupine Tree" "Mother and Child Divided" bonus track on some Deadwing releases (DVD audio, I believe)

Steven Wilson's (from PT) Grace for Drowning CD is near brilliant.

Gavin Harrison from PT is a monstrously talented but incredibly tasteful drummer; his odd-meter work is outstanding. Check out his lesson DVD for some heavy theory on the rhythmic displacement, polyrhythms, etc (I'm not a drummer but love it)

King Crimson: "Eyes Wide Open" from The Power to Believe
King Crimson: "Frame by Frame" from Discipline

If you want some pop with just barely a hint of prog, check out Toy Matinee, or Kevin Gilbert's (R.I.P) solo album Thud. Brilliant thinking man's pop minus the pretension.

Trey Gunn (bassists/stick player/Warr guitarist for King Crimson) solo work:

Trey Gunn: "Sozzle" from The Joy of Molybdenum
Trey Gunn: "The Fifth Spin of the Sun" from Music for Pictures

PSP (Phillips, Saisse, Palladino): Bela Boogie... free tune I downloaded, I think from their site. Very kickass, non-boring fusion :)

Honestly, I've been listening to less prog over the years (a lot of 'genre' styles tend to repeat and get stale)... it's amazing how many cool meter things are out there in the mainstream, or at least *were* out there, i.e., something like Sting's "I Hung My Head" from Mercury Falling.

Hi,

SOT is a progrock/heavyjazz band with odd meters and strangeness!
Trio with guitar, tuba and drums.

All the guitars on the debut album was tracked with the AxeFx Ultra.

Here is a video fram youtube:
Schlatan - YouTube

The whole album on bandcamp:
SOT

Enjoy! :)

old school prog rock:

Jethro Tull (some albums and songs more than others, but Thick as A Brick and Passion Play have their moments)

Kansas (Magnum Opus - has one of my favorite bass solo tones at the 1 minute mark)

that bass tone is soooo Chris Squire

Back
Top Bottom