Help me dissect this tone (Ty Tabor, King's X, Not Lab Series!)

The Whale

Inspired
Hey Gang...

I'm on a little bit of a quest... to create a tone similar to Ty Tabor's on the Ear Candy record

The Train: King's X - The Train - YouTube

And live: KING'S X Live at The Back Room Austin Tx 8/1/97 - YouTube

My plan is to not mimic the tone, but to learn about the tone by recreating it. By doing so, I will be able to tweak my own tones which definitely are influenced by Ty Tabor. From what I know, this record was recorded using a 30th Anniversary Marshall head with a Mesa dual rectifier cabinet. The guitar is a Fender Strat Elite or a Zion with Barden singles. Currently I'm playing around with the Shiver OD with the Redwires Uberkab30 (57 and 121 at cap edge). There's something missing in the mids, though. Plenty of sizzle, not as much woody grunt.

What thoughts do you have? Would you lean more towards the Brit 800 or 900?

i'm working on the Gretchen tone now, and i'm using the Plexi. i should have the preset finished this week.

using a plain Jane strat with emg's, this is the process so far:

find an amp that gives a very clean bright sound when guitar volume is rolled back; plexi with bright switch on was my choice.

next, tune the bright cap to get more into the right tone with the highs.

then i played with the master volume vs preamp volume to find the right mids when cranked.

next up was adding a PEQ before the amp block to be used for the lead parts. added about 10db boost at around 800hz. still working on the correct frequency and boost amount.

added quad chorus and turned it up a bit in the mix. starting to get the sound now.

that was all i could manage last night. i just got a new pair of Audio Technica ath-m50 headphones in today, so i will try to finish the preset tonight.

will need some beta testers that own a strat to try it out. anyone?

Hey guys! Thanks for pick up this thread. I'm sorry I've been away from it...honestly didnt seem to spark much interest. I a huge Tabor fan, but mostly of his playing. His tone is so so to me. BUT, Ear Candy and the Dogman Demos are unreal. So, I thought I would start a chat about the Ear Candy tones.

Singtall - are you using plexi 1 or 2? What cabinet are you using? I've been using plexi 2 a lot with either a redwirez basket weave/ sm57 or a redwirez bogner. I'm also using a low output PaF in my start, so it's not authentic Tabor tone, but don't tend to need a mid boost. I may try that though. Mids are good!

Hey guys! Thanks for pick up this thread. I'm sorry I've been away from it...honestly didnt seem to spark much interest. I a huge Tabor fan, but mostly of his playing. His tone is so so to me. BUT, Ear Candy and the Dogman Demos are unreal. So, I thought I would start a chat about the Ear Candy tones.

Singtall - are you using plexi 1 or 2? What cabinet are you using? I've been using plexi 2 a lot with either a redwirez basket weave/ sm57 or a redwirez bogner. I'm also using a low output PaF in my start, so it's not authentic Tabor tone, but don't tend to need a mid boost. I may try that though. Mids are good!

I'm also a huge fan of Ty Tabor. I love the sound he used to get with his Lab series amp, but I also love the sound he got on the Dog Man album using Rectos. I even bought the Joe Barden pickups he uses on that album
I check out your clip and it's quite close. Maybe you should cut down on the brightness by using a PEQ and using a low pass filter at around 9 to 10 kHz. Part of his sound was using the Fender Elite preamp which he used on dog man but he made a box to house the preamp. His sound was bright but from what I can hear nothing above 9 to 10 kHz

using plexi 2 with changes to the bright cap, two cabinets: 4x12 v30, 4x12 25 watt.

will try the high cut because i do find it a bit bright sounding.

i'm more after the Gretchen era tone, not a fan of much after that. ear candy was good, but the tone a little thicker sounding to me.

"...but the tone is a little thicker sounding to me." - yeah, that's why I love it :) It retains a bit of a vintage feel and isn't as saturated as Dogman. And definitely thicker than the Lab Era. I will try the v30 cab. Not played much with it.

He was using a Marshall 30th anniversary on that cd i believe.

No, he used the lab series on the first 4 albums the. He changed to to Rectos for Dogman

.http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Tabor

But I do remember reading it in many of his interviews, he used to hide the fact that he was using Gibson Lab Series L 5. I used to have one and it had that same compressed sound.
I don't think Cliff will be modeling that one! Lol! But it had a nice sound when using a boost or Od pedal in front of it. It had a cool parametric EQ and a built in compressor It also had and Fx Loop and a line out so you could use a power amp with it.

i'm waiting for everyone to approve of the preset before uploading it. i want to get it as close as possible to the cd. i really don't want to post like 15 versions before i get it right.

Back
Top Bottom