Help me decide what Axe fx rig/config to use

Hey guys,

Been looking to upgrade my metal band rig for awhile now, but am unsure whether to go the 2(or xl+) or AX8 route.

Ideally I want to send a signal through FOH and play through a power amp for stage volume, which is making me lean towards a full axe fx rig (axe fx in 2u case - so I can take it to fly gigs and just go through FOH, MFC and then a power conditioner, power amp and maybe wireless in a 2 or 3u case for other gigs).

But I can't escape the thought that the AX8 is better value for money as an all in one solution (especially in the UK). I do play in other bands which I currently have tube amp rigs of various sizes, and the ax8 would be a great portable solution for when I need to gig in the city after work, where there is 0 backline.

I know this loaded question has probably been asked numerous times before but what are your thoughts?

Also recomendations for power conditioners/power amps/rack wireless would be welcome as well as I don't have much experience in this area.

Appreciate any comments!
Cheers,
Ben

Dual amp models are a +, and is easier to split the signal chain to a power amp and FOH to my knowledge at least anyway. Thats what I'm thinking at the moment anyway

IMO, the deciding factor for you, should be consideration of how you use the unit in your gigs as far as complexity of presets goes..If your signal chain is relatively simple, the AX8 is a pretty easy choice...but if you tend toward very complex presets with multiple delays and deep verbs , this is where some folks run into a wall of CPU overload, which is much rarer on the XL+ and virtually nonexistent on the III...but thousands of pros gig on AX8 happily with little setup stress.

IMO, the deciding factor for you, should be consideration of how you use the unit in your gigs as far as complexity of presets goes..If your signal chain is relatively simple, the AX8 is a pretty easy choice...but if you tend toward very complex presets with multiple delays and deep verbs , this is where some folks run into a wall of CPU overload, which is much rarer on the XL+ and virtually nonexistent on the III...but thousands of pros gig on AX8 happily with little setup stress.

Thats a very good point - from my current set up I have these 4 core sounds:

Ambient Clean for Chords (2 verbs, delay, 2 modulation)
Rhythm (comps, EQ, noise gate, OD in front)
Ambient Lead (double octave, verb, delay etc)
Lead (delay, comp, eq, noise gate, verb)

But I additionaly want to add some 'pushed clean' type sounds which my current modeller can't do well.

So I'm not sure how these 8 sounds would transitioning into scenes/presets on the fractal units.

Dual amp models are a +, and is easier to split the signal chain to a power amp and FOH to my knowledge at least anyway. Thats what I'm thinking at the moment anyway
If you are not using the FX Loop, that routing is pretty easy on the AX8, but far easier on a II or III

But I additionaly want to add some 'pushed clean' type sounds which my current modeller can't do well.

So I'm not sure how these 8 sounds would transitioning into scenes/presets on the fractal units.
What are you currently using as your modeler.?(its OK...you’re amongst friends here....)..my initial impression from this post is you may be happier with the rack unit (the two verbs is sorta red-flaggy already) ..if you are not in a rush..the III will give you inarguably the finest guitar processor now in existence...but the the IIxl+ is damn awesome and can be had at a great price now.

If you are not using the FX Loop, that routing is pretty easy on the AX8, but far easier on a II or III

What are you currently using as your modeler.?(its OK...you’re amongst friends here....)..my initial impression from this post is you may be happier with the rack unit (the two verbs is sorta red-flaggy already) ..if you are not in a rush..the III will give you inarguably the finest guitar processor now in existence...but the the IIxl+ is damn awesome and can be had at a great price now.

I probably would be using the loop to be fair

...Currently using a Pod HD500 (don't kill me), but I've had it for donkeys years so have crafted some pretty decent tones through a power amp into a good cab (to the extent after gigs/practices sometimes I think I don't NEED to upgrade).

Yeah, I'm still waiting for the Xl prices to go down in the UK, waiting for the III could be an option too but we'll see.
I agree whilst I'm used to a floorboard like the AX8, and that has benefits with portability, I think going rack is the option I'm leaning towards.

Since you mentioned the HD500, I thought I'd chime in. I'm relatively new to Fractal...Bought the XL+ in October. I'm actually just taking it on the first gigs this weekend, as my gig schedule (along with my full time job....) has been extremely heavy and I simply didn't have the time to dial the Fractal in and get it incorporated into my rig and the show (I run sound from stage, so I need to make sure all my volume changes are incorporated into my patches, otherwise I'm chasing faders all night....).

I had been a long time Line6 guy. All the way back to the original POD, but over the last 12 years or so, I went from the XT-Live to a HD500, to a HD500x, to a Helix. Let me first say that the Line6 stuff is good stuff, and it's treated me very well over the years. That being said, in my humble opinion, the XL+ is simply better. If you're comparing the Helix to the XL+, there are some valid comparisons. The Helix is a great unit. The XL+ is just more. More amp/cab/fx/etc choices, more tone dialing capability, basically more of just about everything (including cost...You get what you pay for....). Additionally, if you're going to use a MFC (I am), the foot control ability is FAR superior. As far as tone...That's going to be subjective, but for me, the XL+ is definitely superior. Regardless, the XL+ has far more tone sculpting capability, so you can get the tone you want...Period. Now...That's comparing to the Helix. Comparing the XL+ to the HD500? Absolutely no comparison...But the two really aren't in the same league, so it's not a fair and valid comparison.

As long as your budget allows, I would suggest the XL+ over the AX8. It sounds to me like the extra DSP horsepower will definitely come in handy for you. Having used a HD500 / HD500X for 5 years, I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt, the XL+ will BLOW. YOUR. MIND!

^ Yeah I know its a massive step up, and not a valid comparison really. But its the classic I know my tone atm and am happy with it, and its hard to compare 'the unknown' to what I've used at gigs for the past 7 years!

Helpful comments thanks - as I'm not in a desperate rush, I think saving for the rack setup is the way to go:

Any recomendations on:
rack cases (portable 2U for the Axe fx, and a seperate for power amp/conditioner for reasons stated in OG message),
Power amps, conditioners, and rack wireless

...Any recomendations on:
rack cases (portable 2U for the Axe fx, and a seperate for power amp/conditioner for reasons stated in OG message),
Power amps, conditioners, and rack wireless

I have both Gator and SKB racks (both are 4u). They are both older models with the aluminum trim around the openings and the lid rims. The Gator is the model with wheels and an extendable handle. Although it's easy to roll around, I like the build quality of the SKB better. The latches on the Gator are prone to coming loose. I have no experience with the blow-molded models, but a lot of folks here use them, both Gator and SKB.

I don't use a power amp (I run straight to FOH and hear myself via a QSC K10 wedge in front of me) and don't have a power conditioner, but I've been very happy with my Line 6 G90 wireless unit.

Oh, and I went from a POD XT Live to a AFX2 a few years ago. I was happy with my sound from the POD, but it was a world of difference moving up to the Fractal rig. Make sure your socks are on tightly, because they will most likely be blown off when you try the Fractal gear. :D

If you need 2 reverbs, plus delay, 2 modulation effects plus Amp and Cab, that is probably a stretch for AX-8... Reverb is a bit of a CPU hog.

I have both Gator and SKB racks (both are 4u). They are both older models with the aluminum trim around the openings and the lid rims. The Gator is the model with wheels and an extendable handle. Although it's easy to roll around, I like the build quality of the SKB better. The latches on the Gator are prone to coming loose. I have no experience with the blow-molded models, but a lot of folks here use them, both Gator and SKB.

I don't use a power amp (I run straight to FOH and hear myself via a QSC K10 wedge in front of me) and don't have a power conditioner, but I've been very happy with my Line 6 G90 wireless unit.

Oh, and I went from a POD XT Live to a AFX2 a few years ago. I was happy with my sound from the POD, but it was a world of difference moving up to the Fractal rig. Make sure your socks are on tightly, because they will most likely be blown off when you try the Fractal gear. :D

- Yeah I've been looking at those, thanks for the info.
- I currently have a g50, which is good just eats batteries, so I'd be happy with selling that and getting a g90.

and thanks unix guy, that sort of confirms my need for the AX2 then!

Ok small bump. My band will be touring back end of this year, so my need for getting my sh*t together and sorting this rig out has increased (despite me really wanting an Aristides and a new strat...)

In my head this is now what I'd ideally like:
Gator 2U:
Axe Fx 2xl+

Gator 3U:
Matrix 1U power amp
Furman Conditioner
Line 6 Relay G55

Conrolled by a MFC101 - what sort of bags/cases people using for these?

My reasoning for this split is I may use the Axe direct for some gigs/other bands so doesn't make sense to lug 5U's around all the time.

Does anyone else do this? and if so whats the best way to connect everything up?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom