Help me decide...Mixer or Interface??? ...or none???

EVH~5150

Hello,

I have an AXE FX III running through powered monitors. My current monitors need to be upgraded so I'm looking at the Adams T7V as my top choice. My old monitors had a USB connection which allowed me to basically "mix" my PC audio (YouTube, Spotify, etc) through them at the same time as a direct connection to my AXE FX via the XLR cables. By switching to the Adams I will lose the USB connection that I currently enjoy having on the old monitors.

My Sweetwater rep suggested the Mackie ProFX6v3 mixer...but a friend of mine with an AXE FX has suggested an interface. I'm torn between either option. If I chose the mixer, will it's own preamp color any tone from the AXE FX? Is there a better solution for this? I've seen this great thread on recording options and feel that the mixer option is probably better suited for my needs. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

I don't record tracks that often, just jam and play around so I don't see the benefit in buying an expensive interface just to take advantage of plugins (my buddy is hinting at me buying an Apollo)....which seems very excessive given the high quality of the AXE FX on it's own.

Thanks for any help or advice!!!

Audio from your computer can come straight back thru the Axe Fx... As long as you're aware that you'll need the Axe Fx connected and powered on.

Audio from your computer can come straight back thru the Axe Fx... As long as you're aware that you'll need the Axe Fx connected and powered on.
Yes I should have specified that above. I want the pc audio to be fully independent of the AXE FX for the times whenever I'm not playing guitar.

I have the Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre USB which has a SPDIF input which I use to connect my AxeFx3. I also use a mic occasionally and midi from my digital piano into this interface.

Because I had this interface before getting the AxeFx3 I have never tried to do all this through the AxeFx3.

The advantage I see in having the interface is that it is much smaller than the AxeFx3 for sitting on my desk and I don't need the AxeFx3 when tracking from midi or mics or just mixing etc.

Yes I should have specified that above. I want the pc audio to be fully independent of the AXE FX for the times whenever I'm not playing guitar.

In that case, configuration #2 in the recording guide is for you. You'll find complete instructions there.

As for mixer vs. interface, it depends on two things:

1) Are you happy with the D/A converters on your computer? These days you can get pretty good audio output from the headphone jack on most computers, so you could just connect that to a mixer. See the mixer recommendations in the recording guide. If you need to step up to better converters, then use a good audio interface instead of a mixer.

2) Do you need to record additional inputs? If you have other things, like microphones, that you want to record in addition to your Axe-FX, then I'd suggest using an audio interface instead of a mixer.

In that case, configuration #2 in the recording guide is for you. You'll find complete instructions there.

As for mixer vs. interface, it depends on two things:

1) Are you happy with the D/A converters on your computer? These days you can get pretty good audio output from the headphone jack on most computers, so you could just connect that to a mixer. See the mixer recommendations in the recording guide. If you need to step up to better converters, then use a good audio interface instead of a mixer.

2) Do you need to record additional inputs? If you have other things, like microphones, that you want to record in addition to your Axe-FX, then I'd suggest using an audio interface instead of a mixer.
Thank you for responding. Your guide is very helpful.

I would say for the "level" I'm using this for (meaning, I'm just a hobbyist when recording) the D/A conversion is fine for what I need. I basically just record short guitar riffs for my YouTube channel...so it's just for my own benefit, that is all. Hence the reason I want to keep it all very simple and straightforward without nuking this whole setup.

Good question, I've had both setups.

I used to run the Yamaha AG03 which is a mixer that doubles as USB audio interface. I really liked that it had multiple mix knobs so I could independently adjust the volume of the computer audio vs modeler, as well as output to monitors and headphones.

Now I use the MOTU M4 because I wanted more inputs and it works really well. Better for recording, but for just using computer and modeler audio no real difference IMO. It's also more compact on my desk.

So far in any of these options, do they potentially alter the quality of sound coming from the AXE FX?

The monitor path through almost any audio interface will be analog and you'll only be applying small amounts of gain, if any. The same will be true for a mixer. So it won't add any coloration to the audio and won't be altering the quality of the sound.

So far in any of these options, do they potentially alter the quality of sound coming from the AXE FX?

Not unless you buy a really cheap product (like under $100). That's where maybe an interface can be a little better solution as there's less hardware and parts, and potentially a more pure signal path. But highly unlikely to be an issue.

In my case I am using a digital connection to the interface and therefore using the DAC inside the interface (instead of the AxeFx3) but I don't notice any difference in the sound when I listen using my headphones plugged into the interface or into the AxeFx3.

I have Presonus Studio 1810 audio interface and Axe FX 3 is connected Presonus Studio 1810 Mic/Inst/Line 1 and 2.
So I can play guitar and same time hear Youtube or what goes in DAWs etc.

My Adam A5X monitors are connected to Presonus Studio 1810 (not to Axe FX 3) and I have headphones also connected to Presonus.

Earlier I had Scarlett audio interface and that also is nice and there is a lot of other choices.
When using audio interface and Axe FX 3 together then also process load is less heavier for
Axe FX 3 because Axe don't need to take care of computers sound processes.

Last edited:
I have Presonus Studio 1810 audio interface and Axe FX 3 is connected Presonus Studio 1810 Mic/Inst/Line 1 and 2.
So I can play guitar and same time hear Youtube or what goes in DAWs etc.

My Adam A5X monitors are connected to Presonus Studio 1810 (not to Axe FX 3) and I have headphones also connected to Presonus.

Earlier I had Scarlett audio interface and that also is nice and there is a lot of other choices.
When using audio interface and Axe FX 3 together then also process load is less heavier for
Axe FX 3 because Axe don't need to take care of computers sound processes.
Thanks!!

I personally wouldn't use the AF3 as an always on USB interface for my computer. That's just me, thinking it would add un-needed wear and tear on that unit. I use an audio interface (Audient ID14) for the computer. I run the analog outs of the AF3 into that interface. If some reason I would want to use the AF3 as the interface I can still do that and I send OUTPUT 2 along with the Audient outs to a Mackie Big Knob which I can select which to use as the input to my monitors.

I personally wouldn't use the AF3 as an always on USB interface for my computer. That's just me, thinking it would add un-needed wear and tear on that unit. I use an audio interface (Audient ID14) for the computer. I run the analog outs of the AF3 into that interface. If some reason I would want to use the AF3 as the interface I can still do that and I send OUTPUT 2 along with the Audient outs to a Mackie Big Knob which I can select which to use as the input to my monitors.
Thank you! That Audient looks like an interesting device.

Back
Top Bottom