Help me chose my PRS

That's pretty unique and cool. Am I correct in thinking that it was a custom order?
Yes ... the guitar was custom ordered.
1. Hazmat Shmear finish
2. Nashville setup (3 pickups, 5-way blade)

the neck is not custom.
It is the standard 59 neck that JT is known for. You will find it on their BW2k etc. Really nice neck -- really easy to play.

Diego, I know you said you are in your Honeymoon phase, but believe me after twenty years of playing my Custom 24 in my avatar. I love it more and more every time I pick it up. I love that guitar so much it took me 20 years to buy my other PRS in my avatar. 2021 7-string Mark Holcomb SE. I love that guitar too, but it's not a Custom 24 or 22. Enjoy brother!

Hi Diego, congrats also from my side to your new beauty, i baught myself my custom mint and had some things to adjust as the former owner turned the action of the stings far too low so the strings where sitting on the pickups and so one ;). So i completely understand that you are so happy with the prs. yours looks realy nice and beside of maybe cleaning have you been ready to play right ? Enjoy your PRS, best michael

Very nice Guitar! Congrats.

I have never played or owned a PRS guitar but I am in the market for a high-ish end guitar as well. I find PRS naming is a bit confusing (admittingly, I haven't done my due diligence yet).
Is the CE24 the same as CU24? I also see SE CE24 on some sites. Then there's the SE Custom 24-08 which some here have stated are great guitars too but at a much lower price point. I am going to try a CE 24-08 (1200 CAD) today but now I want to try these.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/161664...in-Neck--Case-Included---Faded-Whale-Blue.htm
https://www.long-mcquade.com/220786...ic-Guitar-with-Gig-Bag---Faded-Gray-Black.htm

Is the CE24 the same as CU24? I also see SE CE24 on some sites. Then there's the SE Custom 24-08 which some here have stated are great guitars too but at a much lower price point. I am going to try a CE 24-08 (1200 CAD) today but now I want to try these.
The CE24 through 2008 would be essentially the same as the Custom 24 with the exception being the bolt on neck. Some cosmetic options were limited with the CE series as well. PRS stopped making them in part due to them not being as cost effective as they were intended to be. The CE series was reintroduced in 2016 but they do not share the same quality of components as the Custom series, they are more in line with the S2 series.

The SE series is their import line and are really good guitars for the money. The only thing you can do is play a few and see what speaks to you. If it were me though, I would be looking for a used CE24 made prior to 2008.

The CE24 through 2008 would be essentially the same as the Custom 24 with the exception being the bolt on neck. Some cosmetic options were limited with the CE series as well. PRS stopped making them in part due to them not being as cost effective as they were intended to be. The CE series was reintroduced in 2016 but they do not share the same quality of components as the Custom series, they are more in line with the S2 series.

The SE series is their import line and are really good guitars for the money. The only thing you can do is play a few and see what speaks to you. If it were me though, I would be looking for a used CE24 made prior to 2008.
Thank you for the breakdown. I picked up a new SE Custom 24-08 to try out for a week or so before making the huge plunge towards a CE24 (pre 2008) or modern Custom 24.

FWIW, $0000000.00 I know, I shopped for a PRS for a while, a couple of times.
Played a number of them, but didn't fall in love with any.
Thought maybe I'd like good Les Paul, tried some of those too, same.

Ended up with this, pretty pleased :)
5 minutes from my house, so I got to play it multiple times before pulling the trigger.
It was a lot of money for me, so I hemmed and hawed more than a little, but finally did it.
If you have the opportunity to play a Collings, especially if there are any used somewhere near you, I suggest you do that.

I couldn't tell you exactly what about mine got to me, but it did.
The PRSs I tried were good guitars, very well built, but I eventually decided that PRS just wasn't for me, and looked elsewhere.
Not that they don't catch my eye from time to time, like Cliff's two for sure, but something about the ones I tried just didn't connect.

Anyway, I hope you find something that speaks to you.

If you have the opportunity to play a Collings, especially if there are any used somewhere near you, I suggest you do that.

I second the advice to look at Collings; I played one and it felt unbelievable. I also played a Huber at that store, which felt great; PRS was a mentor to Nik Huber. But I was really looking at an S2 that really spoke to me, and I almost pulled the trigger on it. Just a couple of weeks ago I picked up a used McInturff for the first time, one that was very much like a PRS, and it was easily the most responsive guitar I've ever played. It just had this quality to it where the nuance of attack caused a more drastic change in timbre than an ordinary guitar, in a good way. It was really electrifying to play. It felt to me like it made me more expressive as a player. Now I'm going to pine after that kind of response for forever.

There are always mint condition used example of high end guitars. This is always the way to go.
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Back
Top Bottom