Help me chose my PRS

@Diego wonderful looking guitar! Whale blue is such an iconic PRS color too. Enjoy it in good health!
Thanks Ian, really appreciate your help and the help of all the friends on this fantastic community.
Silver Sky is the next on the list ;) (with the Axe-Fx and all FAS units, GAS is limited to guitars....oh well also cars :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:)

Looks great, so much better than a new lower model . With musical instruments there is no issues buying used and mint used is better than new .
Thanks also to you Andy! Yes you were and are right: mint instruments are something to look for ;). I had no experience on this since I always bought new guitars, unit, cars and so on.

I actually have a McCarty s2 for sale. Nice guitar. Got it in for a project, but project is over and this one is almost perfect...lmk

Looks like you made a really good choice! I would pretty much always go used. Now that I think of it, I have re-sold every guitar I bought new. Just a few keepers that were bought used. My favorite is my 1996 CE24 though!

Hi @ruso , well compared to a couple of my signature/custom made for me guitars (24 frets) the PRS is way more balanced and the neck PU has a smooth and full sound. I have to get used to the PU selector and to the "loosen" volume and tone knob (but maybe there's a way to tight them. For now the overall verdict is positive, then when I look at it... gets better and better. can wait to have the String Swing rail to hang all the guitars to the wall.
"... the "loosen" volume and tone knob (but maybe there's a way to tight them ..."

I use the Stop-It Friction Disc Washers. $10 for a pack of four. They work well for me, but probably not better than some of the other ideas posted that cost less.

Attachments

• EP-4972-000-w_900x600.jpg
    EP-4972-000-w_900x600.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 0
Absolutely!!!!! Discovered a new world (and I'm already looking for a.... mint PRS Silver Sky Blue!) :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Thanks for the tip man
Hi Diego.. my compliments, great guitar!

Sorry if this has been already discussed... but... what are your reference guitars?
I'm starting to have a strong curiosity on PRS guitars and I'm looking for a 40s present :tearsofjoy:

My doubts comes from:
  • scale length.. I'm used to the 25.5 (26.5 on 7 strings) and when I tried a Les Paul I was not comfortable (maybe 25 makes not a big difference..?)
  • frets material.. I'm used to stainless steel frets and I like them A LOT
  • 6 points tremolo.. I'm used to floyds and gotoh 510

Of course, fast thought is "just go in a store and try one.." but the feeling is something that grows while using for a 'long' time and by comparing using your reference..
Any suggestion / experience on that?

Riccardo

Hi Riccardo (@Ninheresy ), well, I usually work in recording studio so I started to use what I find there; this took me to be used to almost any guitar (shape, strings, neck, and so on). About the new one: this time I was searching for a guitar with a great sound but also a wonderful look (and PRS is, IMHO, the best guitar in this league). I think I spent a couple of hour at every NAMM show at the PRS boot just to look at this pieces of art. I had the possibility to use it in the last day since I'm doing a lot of preproduction and I can experiment: well, it's not only looking great, but it sound better than the other guitars I have and I normally use (Ibanez RG770DX, Ibanez 7VWH, Ibanez UV777, Fender YJM, James Tyler V and my own Rash signature). The neck is a beauty, fast, comfortable and the radius is fine for me - but as I wrote I'm used to different necks shape). I was afraid from the 22 frets since many of the guitars I use have 24 but at the end the sound given from the different position of the bridge PU is way more important to my ears then the two additional frets.
About the tremolo: I was a Floyd lover but then came hipshot and locking tuning machine and I found out that I prefer to have an easier system to change strings vs the "opportunity" to do dive bomb (but I still have all the Ibanez for this ;) ). PRS tremolo is perfect; the tuning system (a little different from the others) is great and I can use it without any tuning problem.
Take everything I wrote remembering that I'm still in my honeymoon period with this guitar :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

The tip to go out and try one is mandatory for this kind of "40th birthday gift" for the price of the instrument but mainly for the "spark" that happens when player and guitar get in touch for the first time.
I don't know where you live but if you are in the north of Italy we can organize a trip to the wonderful store I found (open only by reservation) thanks to my PRS and there you will find a lot of nice jewels.

Hi Riccardo (@Ninheresy ), well, I usually work in recording studio so I started to use what I find there; this took me to be used to almost any guitar (shape, strings, neck, and so on). About the new one: this time I was searching for a guitar with a great sound but also a wonderful look (and PRS is, IMHO, the best guitar in this league). I think I spent a couple of hour at every NAMM show at the PRS boot just to look at this pieces of art. I had the possibility to use it in the last day since I'm doing a lot of preproduction and I can experiment: well, it's not only looking great, but it sound better than the other guitars I have and I normally use (Ibanez RG770DX, Ibanez 7VWH, Ibanez UV777, Fender YJM, James Tyler V and my own Rash signature). The neck is a beauty, fast, comfortable and the radius is fine for me - but as I wrote I'm used to different necks shape). I was afraid from the 22 frets since many of the guitars I use have 24 but at the end the sound given from the different position of the bridge PU is way more important to my ears then the two additional frets.
About the tremolo: I was a Floyd lover but then came hipshot and locking tuning machine and I found out that I prefer to have an easier system to change strings vs the "opportunity" to do dive bomb (but I still have all the Ibanez for this ;) ). PRS tremolo is perfect; the tuning system (a little different from the others) is great and I can use it without any tuning problem.
Take everything I wrote remembering that I'm still in my honeymoon period with this guitar :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

The tip to go out and try one is mandatory for this kind of "40th birthday gift" for the price of the instrument but mainly for the "spark" that happens when player and guitar get in touch for the first time.
I don't know where you live but if you are in the north of Italy we can organize a trip to the wonderful store I found (open only by reservation) thanks to my PRS and there you will find a lot of nice jewels.
Holy crap! I'm dressing right now, ready to go :tearsofjoy:

Thanks a lot for the detailed information, now the interest is reaching a higher level!
I'm also an Ibanez lover, (RG and AZ) so I can 'trust and share' your point of view.

Thanks for the invitation! For sure I'd like to visit this wonderful store, as soon as this crazy limitations will stop in Italy (I'm located in north-east)
I'll PM you, thanks again

There is something about the playability of a PRS guitar that makes it worth the price of admission. My number one is an HB2 with Piezo. I have a Semi-Hollow Special on order (maybe I will get it this summer - if not the fall).
Congrats and enjoy in good health!

Attachments

• PRSHB2.jpg
    PRSHB2.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 20
There is something about the playability of a PRS guitar that makes it worth the price of admission. My number one is an HB2 with Piezo. I have a Semi-Hollow Special on order (maybe I will get it this summer - if not the fall).
Congrats and enjoy in good health!

Is that a scalloped neck on your T-style Tyler? I think that is the first time I've seen anyone put a scalloped neck on a Tele.

Back
Top Bottom