Help me before I do a stupid thing like selling my Axe...

Re: Help me before I do a stupid thing like selling my Axe..

I am a newbie (just got the ultra) but I think I know what the op means. There is a point where I am playing and this thing makes me sound better than I am, and then if I stop a note short or try to sustain a note, There is this quietness, where tube amps would still be reverberating. I am thinking that the noise gate, which makes me sound better than I am, as it cleans up behind me, may also be closing off the sustain. This is just an idea on the digital feel concept.

What I got out of the way the AXE was marketed is very similar to how BOSE is marketing their stuff, in that what we are after is a consistent sound everywhere, and that the “old model” of us hearing one thing standing in front of our amps, while the audience hears something, else is a flawed and obsolete thing. The audience hears drums/bass mushing together and the guitar and keyboard mushing together and this AXE + full range thing, lets you hear what everyone else is hearing,

It all seems to sound good isolated in the bedroom. I got a $200 line6 a couple of years ago and was ready to sell all my gear. Then I played it with drums and it was so thin. Nothing like in my room. Then I got the POD HD500 and played thru studio monitors and it sounded great. Then I played a big club with a band, and had to play everything on the rhythm pickup and we pegged the mixers bass to full blast, and only then would 1 or 2 patches cut thru, as long as I articulated every note perfectly.

I hope this will not be the case with the AXE + ATOMICS, but we will see. I played thru direct rigs in the 80’s and 90’s, mostly motivated by laziness and at that time I was making a tradeoff (ADA-MP1 + quadraverb + H&K emulators) I got this thing because it has the potential of being the direct into the PA rig that I fantasized about years ago when I got tired of lugging my 3 channel Marshall around and futzing with all of its knobs with my back to the audience. If you are in your room, or recording or even playing a specific style of music live , you can have almost any amp, because you do not need to quickly switch sounds. It seems like the AXE has the most potential for the cover band guys.

Marshall30thAnn said:
There is a point where I am playing and this thing makes me sound better than I am, and then if I stop a note short or try to sustain a note, There is this quietness, where tube amps would still be reverberating. I am thinking that the noise gate, which makes me sound better than I am, as it cleans up behind me, may also be closing off the sustain.
Turn it off then. I never use the noise gate.

Jay Mitchell said:
Marshall30thAnn said:
There is a point where I am playing and this thing makes me sound better than I am, and then if I stop a note short or try to sustain a note, There is this quietness, where tube amps would still be reverberating. I am thinking that the noise gate, which makes me sound better than I am, as it cleans up behind me, may also be closing off the sustain.
Turn it off then. I never use the noise gate.

+1.. I don't care for the gate feature on any of the amp sims.

Back
Top Bottom