Help identifying the "best" FRFR solution for me

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
So, Im going to take the plunge into FRFR after using an ART SLA-1 and my old VHT 2x12 cab for 8 months. However I need some help selecting the best method.

My Useage.

I do a lot of recording, and practice to backing tracks in a music room using my Wharfedale EXP PA System. Its a cheap but half decent system with 15" tops and a 15" sub. The axe doesnt sound great through it though. The FRFR solution will sit in the middle of the PA where my guitar cab does now and act as a normal backling amp when Im practicing. This is probably 70% of my playing - with 30% playing out. The playing out is split as follows.

50% using my P.A. putting just vocals and maybe kick drum through the PA, in a small Pub type environment. In this case the FRFR solution will need to act as my backline. Im sure it will be fine once my patches are tweeked, and the better dispersion of PA sysytems should help. It should also (ideally) handle backling for my Keyboard I play in a few songs. i COULD put the axe through the PA here and just use a pure monitor (which would favour one of the options) BUT given the quality of the Wharfedale PA, i think using the FRFR monitor as backline would actually give better sound quality.

20% of my playing out is at jam nights, so again my FRFR will be my backline - but needs to be as small as possible really as its all about prtability in this senario..

The other 30% is playing in a band in a bigger venue. in this case the band is fully mic'd and ideally the FRFR solution will be my monitor. Prefereably with a full band mix - with my guitar raised slightly.

In this case, how would the FRFR handle controlled feedback? (given theres other things in the mix). I could at a push use 2 monitors - using on of my Wharfedale topns to handle band mix and the FRFR handling the Axe only.

The Options

As I see it, i need a smallish soltution that can be used as a stage monitor, but one thats capable of giving a guitar cab like experience (when used as backling) thump and all.

The two options Im looking at - though Im also open to further suggestions - are the following:

1. FBT Verve 12MA.

This one is small, has 123db (400W) output. Its a propper wedge monitor. Its a bi-amp solution and is high quality. This I feel would be best if I just wanted a stage monitor option. It only has a single Input though, so it may not handle both guitar and keys backline - or let me get a band mix and the axe seperately in a monitor. Freq Range is 60hz to 20Khz. Weight is 42 lb

2. QSC K12.

This is a little larger though not much. Its the same weight bar 1 lb. Its a propper PA cab and is 1000W giving 131db. It has 2 inputs as well. It is probably the best solution for the backline senario. It is however only a single amp with X-Over and protection handled by DSP processing. Freq range is 50hz to 20Khz, weoght is 41lb.

There is a 3rd option is in the mix, but Id need convincing. its a HK D.A.R.T. Again its 400W, Bi-amped, and a propper wedge. Its the smallest and lightest option which is good, and Ive used HK PA Rigs in the past. However Its never been mentioned on this board and the Freq range is smaller - 80hz to 18Khz. It also only has a single i/p. I dont feel it has anything over the 12ma and has a less impressive freq range. As its the same price its just the size/weight difference which TBH isnt that great.

As I have back and knee problems the traditional QSC is out - 60lb is just too heavy.

Summary

So - given my mix of aplications, what do people feel is the best option - or is there something else?

I really like the idea of the 12ma and think its probably the best quality (because of the true bi-amping) and feel the K12 is probably over powered/too loud for me really (though is there ever too loud?). However given that only 10% or so of my total playing would use my FRFR solution as a pure monitor (with the other 90% using it like a traditional amp/cab backline) maybe the K12 is actualy a better option? Or are they all (or at least 12ma and K12) on par sonically so either is as good as the other?

You could get the FBT and couple it with one of those highly portable, but feature rich, mini mixers. Lots of companies make them, and you would be covering the keyboard and band monitor situation as well as getting all the quality and reasonable weight advantages of the FBT. The tiny mixer would only add a slight additional level of complexity to your rig, but the compromise might be worth it for your application.

As far as I can tell, there are relatively few options on the market that generally meet the needs of guitar players, are high quality (incl. enclosure construction & materials, decent internal amps, crossovers, etc.), and accurate enough to do justice to the Axe.

I'm in the camp that believes that if you want to get great and also consistent results with FRFR, you HAVE to step up and get something that ticks all the boxes. You want something that can also work as backline, so you don't have the option to consider some of the smaller solutions, e.g. the stuff based on 8" woofers. (I assume this wouldn't have the ooomph you'd need in some situations.)

The market needs more options. Would be good if Fractal / Atomic would get their box out, although I'm wondering whether they can get the frequency response accuracy into the ballpark of the Verve's, QSC 122i, etc.

If you can find them, you might also look at this:

http://www.tannoy.com/ProfessionalDetai ... id=7&sid=3

Haven't heard it, but from past experience with Tannoy, it might have a lot going for it.

If the Verve 12ma lets you place it on end for backline-style use, it might be one of the best options.

Back
Top Bottom