Help ID this vintage guitar?

mwd

Power User
Was watching Buddy Miller play with Robert Plant and Patty Griffin and saw this guitar. Patty Griffin has one too. Can anyone help me ID this. Head stock is unique as are many elements.

Attachments

• buddy miller 001.png
    buddy miller 001.png
    857.1 KB · Views: 67
  • patty_guitar.jpeg
    patty_guitar.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 68
It's a Silvertone. The logo is distinctive. And with tuners in-line on a headstock like that, it's probably a PITA to keep it in tune.

https://reverb.com/p/silvertone-145...MIzovsrMvW-QIVgwnnCh2g1Qm4EAQYBSABEgIjIvD_BwE

https://www.google.com/search?q=1964+Silvertone+1457+Amp+In+Case+Vintage+Original+Amp’N’Case+Red+Sparkle+Burst+by+Danelectro+Tube+Amplifier+w/+Tremolo+Effect+image+1+1964+Silvertone&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi7qeDYy9b5AhVZDkQIHW3ICT8Q_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1698&bih=1143&dpr=2

How did I find it? I searched for the image of Patty Griffin, took the one that had the highest resolution, zoomed in on the headstock, then searched for "Silvertone electric guitars", and found the match in Google's "Images" tab.

Last edited:
Reactions: mwd
Thank you so much. Had a friend that had one with the guitar case amp when I was a kid.

I have had a few of these in my hands in the last decade. They are terrible guitars. The tuners are junk. They feel like a cigar box in your hands. They are hollow and weigh nothing. They were a guitar made for beginners years ago. One of the ones I have played came with the case with the amp in it. Man, that thing hummed something terrible. They are a cool idea but not executed well.

Off the line I'm sure you are spot on. In the hands of Buddy Miller playing with Robert Plant it was divine. No telling what mods were made. I could see the tuners were replaced.

I am sure that people have liked the look of them so they put the money and effort into making them play better and stay in tune. It would take a good bit of work from the ones I have had in my hands but it can be done if you don't care about putting way more money into something than it will ever be worth.

Naw I have a ton of guitars and definitely don't need another money pit. Just wondered what it was. Took me back 50 years to when I started playing.

I have had a few of these in my hands in the last decade. They are terrible guitars. The tuners are junk. They feel like a cigar box in your hands. They are hollow and weigh nothing. They were a guitar made for beginners years ago. One of the ones I have played came with the case with the amp in it. Man, that thing hummed something terrible. They are a cool idea but not executed well.
They're not exactly top end but it's worth bearing in mind that a Silvertone is basically a rebadged Danelectro, and Jimmy Page used a Danelectro tuned in DADGAD throughout the entire history of Led Zeppelin! Check out the live version of Kashmir where he plays it (I think it's at Earls Court) - if that's how a cheap guitar can sound I'm totally for cheap'n'cheerful :D

They're not exactly top end but it's worth bearing in mind that a Silvertone is basically a rebadged Danelectro, and Jimmy Page used a Danelectro tuned in DADGAD throughout the entire history of Led Zeppelin! Check out the live version of Kashmir where he plays it (I think it's at Earls Court) - if that's how a cheap guitar can sound I'm totally for cheap'n'cheerful :D
I am sure the one he used had a ton of work done to it to make it stay in tune and play like he wanted it to. It isn't like he didn't have the money to have those improvements made to it.

I am sure the one he used had a ton of work done to it to make it stay in tune and play like he wanted it to. It isn't like he didn't have the money to have those improvements made to it.

Maybe, but as far as I can see from looking at pics of Page playing the actual guitar it looks pretty stock - right down to the plastic button tuners and stacked vol/tone knobs - of course who knows what’s going on under the hood….

Attachments

• 9AB65FE8-09BD-4E1F-A5B1-A83F72E9CFFD.jpeg
    9AB65FE8-09BD-4E1F-A5B1-A83F72E9CFFD.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom