Help. Happy AX8 User. Now GAS-ing for an AxeFx III

Matt007

Inspired
So I’ve been very happy using my AX8 at home, at rehearsals and for gigging. The portability and all-in-one solution are my top priorities. Given these priorities I’ve been patiently awaiting the FM3 and will definitely buy when available.

Now based on a couple things, I’m really considering the AF3 and FC6. First, I think the FC6 will be a great addition to the FM3 so I can rationalize that purchase regardless.

Related to the AF3 I just keep hearing such great things about it and the ability to convert presets to the FM3 could make it a killer home unit and then to transfer presets to the FM3 for playing out. Maintaining totally separate presets between the AX8 and the AF3 was a non-starter for me, so this is somewhat of a game changer. I do get that the FM3 presets will have limitations.

I also feel like the FM3 wait could continue to be a while. Which now has me thinking about the 3.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Using the AF3 at home is perfect but for practice it just isn’t portable enough for me. I could use when gigging occasionally for sure.

Would it be necessary? Definitely not. Would it make some sense? Maybe.

Help please! Hahaha.

I use my Fractal gear (AX8 and AXE-FX III w/FC-12) for praise and worship. Remember that AF3 has a ton more processing power therefore you need to be mindful of how you construct your presets. The AX8 may be staying home from now on. There is just so many nice things about the AF3 with the FC-6/12 that I'd find it hard to go back. The AX8 fits in a backpack, where the FM3 +FC6 would require two carrying case. So if I'm going to carry 2, I might as well get/use the AF3 + a FC.

FYI I was a happy AX8 user too, now I'm not so high on the AX8. I do wish it would get one last update where the amp modeling and the new code for the drives (plus the new drive models). Then I'd take my AX8 to band practice during the week and AF3 on Saturday and Sunday. But if not, I'll just stick with the AF3 because I am super happy with how it sounds and works!
Maintaining totally separate presets between the AX8 and the AF3 was a non-starter for me, so this is somewhat of a game changer. I do get that the FM3 presets will have limitations.
Totally agree with this.

Honestly? My AX8 has been gathering dust since the Axe 3. I may sell it, I dunno yet...

I'm embarrassed to say that, but it's a true testament of how vastly advanced the axe 3 is in comparison to the AX8, which in itself still a top tier unit!

Go for it!!

Last edited:
There are things that can help in the portability department for the III. Check out the "Show me your Rig" thread for the III. My AX8 has also been gathering dust since the III. I pretty much re-thought my preset layouts since the III and now do the kitchen-sink approach with plenty of CPU to spare. I'm all wireless in a beautifully small 4RU space (IEMs, & guitar) with the III. No way I would go back to anything that has less power. The III spoiled me.

So I’ve been very happy using my AX8 at home, at rehearsals and for gigging. The portability and all-in-one solution are my top priorities. Given these priorities I’ve been patiently awaiting the FM3 and will definitely buy when available.

Now based on a couple things, I’m really considering the AF3 and FC6. First, I think the FC6 will be a great addition to the FM3 so I can rationalize that purchase regardless.

Related to the AF3 I just keep hearing such great things about it and the ability to convert presets to the FM3 could make it a killer home unit and then to transfer presets to the FM3 for playing out. Maintaining totally separate presets between the AX8 and the AF3 was a non-starter for me, so this is somewhat of a game changer. I do get that the FM3 presets will have limitations.

I also feel like the FM3 wait could continue to be a while. Which now has me thinking about the 3.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Using the AF3 at home is perfect but for practice it just isn’t portable enough for me. I could use when gigging occasionally for sure.

Would it be necessary? Definitely not. Would it make some sense? Maybe.

Help please! Hahaha.

I was in your shoes maybe 10 months ago. The AX8 was great, but I had to tweak a bunch of amp parameters to get it the way I liked.... even after that, I couldn’t bond with a lot of the amps.
The AXE-III just slays. No deep diving into parameters, amp + cab = instant tone and I’ve discovered so many amps that were difficult earlier.

I think everyone here would say if you have the available funds, go for it. I went through the same thought process, and concluded it would be smart to board the FX-III train on the way to replacing my Ax8 with the FM3. Even if I don't use the III for every gig or just keep it in my studio to have fun with. So I splurged in the Black November bundle sale and haven't regretted it. Now I take the III to local shows and still have the Ax8 for fly dates.

Also being able to wrap my brain around how the FCs work really helps to plan for how I want to use the FM3, plus I have the FC6 handy should I want to combine with the FM3.

I'm gonna agree with everyone - the Axe III is really a monster of a machine that offers a lot more options than the AX8. I would never diss my AX8 (that I sold) because every time I plugged into and played, I loved it. The Axe III, for me anyway, goes beyond that even. It is insanely good. I did take advantage of the package deal that @bradlake mentioned with the FC12 and the flexibility is astounding.

With regards to portability, because of the rack I got I'm still taking the same exact amount of gear to a show. I could still technically walk in and out in 1 trip. Axe Rack, Headrush cab, guitar on my back. :)

There's more to the Axe-Fx than weighing the wait for an FM3. As an amp modeler and effects processor, it's capabilities are truly peerless. I find it to be the most inspiring piece of equipment I have ever owned. My gig rig requires three trips: 1. Axe-Fx and FC6; 2) Powered Monitors; 3) Stands, Laptop, and make sure I locked the car (LOL).

There's more to the Axe-Fx than weighing the wait for an FM3. As an amp modeler and effects processor, it's capabilities are truly peerless. I find it to be the most inspiring piece of equipment I have ever owned. My gig rig requires three trips: 1. Axe-Fx and FC6; 2) Powered Monitors; 3) Stands, Laptop, and make sure I locked the car (LOL).
What about the GUITAR ?!?!

Is there a guitar involved in those gig rigs by chance or are you just beat boxing it? :p

I'm almost ready to grab a 3. Very happy with my ax8 but here are my justifications -
I could sell the ax8, use that money to fund an AxeFxIII plus FC6 package deal. When the time comes for me to get an FM3 can sell the Ax3 but KEEP the fc6. With the extra $$ from the 3 sale, I can grab a decent pedal board. Also, HUGE reason for this is the ability to transfer presets from ax3 to fm3..... I won't lose any of my presets provided they are designed with the FM3 in mind (no dual amps, etc).

I've almost talked myself into it.

Just pulled the trigger on a AxeFx myself. Another FM3 waitlister bites the dust! First Fractal product of my life. I've been lusting after Fractal gear since my guitar teacher handed me a cable to plug in to his brand new AxeFx over 10 years ago and I saw the crazed excitement in his eyes. Finally in a spot where I feel like I can afford it. Couldn't be more excited!!

My gig rig is only two trips. First trip is my 4u rack, two K12s, one K10, rolling laptop case (my accessories bag containing the GR-55, 2 Android tablets, wireless transmitter, mic, and miscellaneous stuff), Pelican case with the XR-18, cable bag (40 pounds or so), and speaker and light stand case. Second trip is 5 guitars, the 7-slot guitar stand, and my pedal board.

Thank goodness for the Rock-n-Roller cart, lol.

Amazon product ASIN B003AYN834

• Wow
Reactions: jon
Back
Top Bottom