HELP getting Axe Fx II XL and Ableton Suite 8 to recognize each other for recording

Sitnonair

Hello everyone, I'm having some difficulty getting my Axe Fx and my Ableton Suite 8 to work together so I can record with it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated? Oh and my interface is the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB. And the computer is synched to the Axe Fx with no problems. Thanks in advance for anyones help. Cheers!!!

Yeah, but it's not recognizing it or I can't locate my Axe Fx for some strange reason. I must be hooking it up incorrectly or something. How do you hook it up and is their any parameter inside the Axe Fx that I need to adjust?

How would it "locate" your axe if you have the analog outputs plugged into your other interface?

OK, any advise on how to hook up your Axe Fx II XL to my Saffire 6 USB so that my Ableton recording software locates my Axe Fx? Thanks!!!

Hey, sir!

If you are going from the outputs from Axe FX to the Saffire's inputs, Axe FX will never show as a soundcard option, because your not connecting it with USB.

Ableton will recognize your Saffire as a soundcard, not the Axe FX. Remember to select the correct audio inputs on ableton's channel.

Here are some pics of my signal flow (with an Axe FX Ultra):

Hope you can solve it,

Frank.

Exactly.... I have mine setup like that but still nothing. Could it be something inside of the fractal possibly? I don't know at this point.

Have you tired setting the axe fx as the input device in prerfances ? With my set up in live I can use the axe fx as input and still have my FireWire edirol card as the output device so it comes out my monitors.

2 different things running audio via usb from the axe fx or hooking audio into your sound card.

Last edited:
Been a long time since I have used Ableton but don't you have to arm the track before you can monitor the sound? Also what happens if you bypass the Axe and plug directly into your interface? Do you get sound then?

Hello everyone, I'm having some difficulty getting my Axe Fx and my Ableton Suite 8 to work together so I can record with it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated? Oh and my interface is the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB. And the computer is synched to the Axe Fx with no problems. Thanks in advance for anyones help. Cheers!!!
I use Ableton. If you are planning on using the Focusrite as teh interface and simply want to use the Axe as a DI, you have to go from one of the outputs of the Axe into an input on your interface. So for example if you are using Input 1 on the focusrite to bring in the Axe signal, you need to first go to Ableton Preferences and chose the Focusrite as your input and output source. than once you have, you need to add an Audio Track. Arm the Audio Track, make sure that INPUT MONITORING is on. than choose input 1 as the input source. you should see signal and hear sound coming from the Axe into your Interface and out of your headphones/monitors. If you don't than you are not getting any level on the Axe. That is likely the culprit. If you have signal from the axe FX when plugged in directly, that means that it is sending audio. That audio is no being sent to INPUT1 on the interface and you should be good to go.. let me know what happens. i am a Power user for Ableton.

Been a long time since I have used Ableton but don't you have to arm the track before you can monitor the sound? Also what happens if you bypass the Axe and plug directly into your interface? Do you get sound then?

Yes if I run directly into my interface I get sound.

I use Ableton. If you are planning on using the Focusrite as teh interface and simply want to use the Axe as a DI, you have to go from one of the outputs of the Axe into an input on your interface. So for example if you are using Input 1 on the focusrite to bring in the Axe signal, you need to first go to Ableton Preferences and chose the Focusrite as your input and output source. than once you have, you need to add an Audio Track. Arm the Audio Track, make sure that INPUT MONITORING is on. than choose input 1 as the input source. you should see signal and hear sound coming from the Axe into your Interface and out of your headphones/monitors. If you don't than you are not getting any level on the Axe. That is likely the culprit. If you have signal from the axe FX when plugged in directly, that means that it is sending audio. That audio is no being sent to INPUT1 on the interface and you should be good to go.. let me know what happens. i am a Power user for Ableton.

OK, thanks.... I will try that and see what happens. I appreciate all of the help/tips and suggestions/comments on here.

jiggajewjay, you were exactly right. They only way for my Ableton to recognize my Axe Fx was to use as a DI unless I am doing something wrong on that end also. Nevertheless, using my Axe Fx as the DI works perfectly. So thank you very much for your time and help.

Back
Top Bottom