HELP!:Gettin´mad tryin to record Axe with a M-Audio F.T. Pro

SteelEdge

Well, I´m an old Axe Fx Ultra user, and I´ve recently purchased a M-Audio Fast Track Pro for recording purposes with the Axe.

The thing is that I don´t get even near to the sound I hear LIVE from teh Axe to what I hear/record in my PC.

I have this "LIVE" rig: Axe Fx Ultra--->Mesa 20/20 Stereo Poweramp----> 2 4x12 Cabinets (Rectifier V30+ENG V90)

When playing live, I have the poweramp sim off.

Well, when I connect the Axe to the M-Audio Fast Track Pro and record a single track, the sound is WAY different, sounds crappy, digital.....

Of course, I turn the poweramp sims ON (tried with it OFF too...worse results!), I´ve adjusted the M-AUdio sampling to 48khz and set to EXTERNAL...I´ve used S/PDIF out, I´ve used Axe Line out to M-Audio line In,Axe XLR Out to M-Audio XLR In...and NOTHING!!!!

The sound I hear from my Axe when playing is, as I said, faaar away to the sound I record.

Can you guys please help me a little with this???

I´ve seen tons of clips recorded with the Axe and they sound AWESOME, even recorded with the M-Audio Fast Track Pro.

Is there anything I´m missing???

Re: HELP!:Gettin´mad tryin to record Axe with a M-Audio F.T.

You didn't mention a cab block. You need one to record direct.

GiRa said:
You didn't mention a cab block. You need one to record direct.

Thanks, bu I have a cab block too, have one in all my patches, I even use the redwirez.....any other idea?

Well, some improvements, but still sounds....not right! :evil:

This is what I´ve found out that improves my sound:

- I´ve noticed that all my patches had the Master in the AMP BLOCK very high....lowering this, I´ve got better sound / results.

- The MAIN OUTPUT was high too., so I´ve lowered it down and seems to sound better (thu now I have "low" volume in my headphones).

- The S/PDIF connection is quieter than the Line / XLR ones (wich is logic...so I´m keeping using the S/PDIF OUT from the Axe)

- I don´t have any monitors, so I´m using headphones...wich are HIFI and not "top notch", so I think they´re coloring my sound...seems like I´m gonna have to buy some FRFR headphones, like the AKG 141 Studio or whatever.....

- I´m getting better results in Cleans sounds...the overdrives don´t sound as right as they should, they "break" to much, like if there was too much signal or overdrive....the High Gain patches sounds too much noisy-digital, lack of dynamics IMHO....

Should I adjust the Global EQ for the output??? Can it be done with the S/PDIF out???

This is my first time recording with the Axe, and, as I´m finding out this is not plug-and-record.....I thought it was easier, as I got excellent sounds with the Axe the first time I used it, in a couple of hours got exactly what I wanted....My goal is to record the sounds I hear when I play live thru my Poweramp and cabs...but I´m far away from that....

So, as I´m a TOTALLY NOOB recording, please, help me finding out what I´m doing wrong...It could be the more BASIC thing that everybody knows when recording with the Axe...but I do not :cry:

Thanks to all for helping!!!! ;)

SteelEdge said:
- I´m getting better results in Cleans sounds...the overdrives don´t sound as right as they should, they "break" to much, like if there was too much signal or overdrive....the High Gain patches sounds too much noisy-digital, lack of dynamics IMHO....
Lower the poweramp values in your patches again. I usually set it to about 3 - 4 for high gain, but it strongly depends on the amp model and how much I want it to color.

High gain patches also heavily depend on a well matched cab sim.

Are you using ampblock -> cabblock -> realpoweramp -> realcabinet?

Or are you doing some routing?

GiRa said:
Are you using ampblock -> cabblock -> realpoweramp -> realcabinet?

Or are you doing some routing?

When playin´ "live", (Axe FX---->Mesa Boogie 20/20 Stereo Poweramp--->Mesa Bogie 4x12 RectifierV30 + ENGL 4x12V90) I have CAB SIMS ON and POWERAMP SIMS OFF, and I always use an Ampblock+Cabblock in my patches.

I know I should turn the CAB SIMS off, as long as I use real cabinets, but I found the Axe sounds great with CABS SIMS ON and using the CABS of the Axe Fx or, even better, the Redwirez ones.

When I´m recording, i turn both CAB and POWERAMP SIMS ON and use ampblock and cabblock.

SteelEdge said:
I know I should turn the CAB SIMS off, as long as I use real cabinets, but I found the Axe sounds great with CABS SIMS ON and using the CABS of the Axe Fx or, even better, the Redwirez ones.

Here's the problem: you have two guitar cabinets in series!!!
I think your ears are now "bad trained".

Try a patch with INPUT -> Amp -> Cab (no mic) -> Cab (with mic), you should get your sound.

I suggest you to start from scratch only with amp + cab -> direct recording and build new sound from there.

GiRa said:
SteelEdge said:

Here's the problem: you have two guitar cabinets in series!!!
I think your ears are now "bad trained".

Try a patch with INPUT -> Amp -> Cab (no mic) -> Cab (with mic), you should get your sound.

I suggest you to start from scratch only with amp + cab -> direct recording and build new sound from there.

Thanks for the answer!!!

What you say makes sense, but it´s not the problem...

I used to play with the CAB SIMS off, thu I changed to play with them ON because I loved the sound and flexibility of changing the cabs.

I´ve tried what you say (cab with no mic+ casb with mic) and my problem get worse, the sound is even more colored, more digitally than with just one cab.

I think is a matter of the poweramp/amp configuration, I´m getting better results lowering the masters and the levels, as well as de DAMP and SAG.

What do you think about the sound I got on my recordings??? Think is right???

Are you sure that cabinet emulation is not disabled in global menu?

How many mids are you running?

GiRa said:

How many mids are you running?

Yes , I´m sure....

I´m not a mids fan, usually get V sound (less mids)....maybe there´s something to tweak in that direction....

Back
Top Bottom