Help! FM3 sounds dull vs Tonex or Amp w/Pedalboard

First thing I would do is examine that volume/pan pedal. If you're using that drive block, changing the value of that volume pedal will alter the sound of the amp's output on the other side. Same if the drive block is bypassed, you're changing the input into the amp block, like rolling your volume knob around. Also, it looks like some kind of control is assigned to your gain knob on your amp, another spot that changes the amp sound. If overall drive/distortion is your issue, setting those, and then touching the volume pedal block or the gain knob changes those to something else and they interact. I wouldn't put my volume pedal there anyway (I like it after the amp so I can keep the same tone/distortion at various levels - I'll use my guitar volume knob to change that attack). Preference there, but I'd eliminate the volume block, take off whatever is controlling the amp's gain knob, and then dial in the amp sounds to your taste. Also, as everyone else notes, anything/everything affects anything/everything else. So many variables, so little time...but if amp tone alone is your challenge, I would start there.

Help! I'm fully aware this is probably user error, so guidance is requested. I know the FM3 can sound awesome, but i'm struggling. When compared with my current pedalboard with ToneX one (WT Fender Pro capture). Pedalboard is Ego>Boss BD2>Tumnus Dlx>BossSD1>ToneX One>EP booster>HX Stomp (delay and reverb). To be as close as possible, i've been testing against the WT Fender Pro patch for the FM3, (although I have tested with others as well). I know the sounds are in the FM3, it just doens't seem as alive, either in headphones or a FRFR (QSC 8.1). I've also been trying to build from an Austin Buddy patch as well. I know this leaves a ton of variables, but are there any suggestions anyone would have? Do you notice this as well?

For reference, I play 90's country/southern rock. I seem to find way more for High Gain players with Fractal than lower gain like my style. I'd love to have it all in the FM3 size to setup and carry reasons, but I need to sound/feel good to me.
I second or third building your own! You know what your after in a sound start with the basics and go from there! There is no need to deep dive to get what you are looking for if you start with the right amp and cab.

Back
Top Bottom