Help Connecting my Piezo-equipped Ibanez

webmaestro

I'm in a bit of a bind here since receiving my Axe-Fx II a couple weeks ago, because the Axe-Fx is physically deeper than my old POD HD Pro.

My electric has a single, stereo (TRS) output jack, because I've installed a piezo system. I was getting along just fine (with my HD Pro) with a stereo (TRS) cable that I then split into two mono signals with a Y adapter. I plugged one mono tip into the guitar input on the front (for the magnetic pup signal) and the other into the line input on the back (for the piezo signal). The two signals are completely independent--no blending or anything. So, this setup worked perfectly.

Well, the Axe is so deep that my Y splitter no longer reaches, so I need some other solution to run the same setup with the Axe. I need to plug one tip into the Axe's front guitar input, and the other into the Left line/Mono input on the back. I've tried plugging both tips into the L and R line level inputs, but I get too much hiss with this method when using any level of overdrive/distortion (had the same problem on the HD Pro).

I can't find any Y splitters with enough length, and have no idea what I'm looking for with regards to splitter boxes. Ernie Ball used to sell a splitter box for it's piezo-equipped guitars, but it has been discontinued.

Any suggestions... brands... or alternate connection methods would make me a very happy camper.

Suggestions:
1. Plug both cables into the rear sockets.
2. If your Y cable is the type with two cables side by side then get a sharp knife and separate them a bit further, then put a cable tie or tape around the new join point to stop them separating any further.
3. Make your own splitter and stereo guitar cable. Below my Axe in the rack I have a blank plate which covers an empty rack slot. I drilled a hole in the plate, and put in a stereo jack socket. Two 18 inch cables are soldered to the socket tags, and run to mono jacks which are plugged into L and R rear sockets on the Axe. I used microphone cable. Instead of your Y cable make your self a stereo cable with two stereo jack plugs and a length of microphone cable.

Which ever method you adopt, use a noise gate to take out the hiss.

I use an RG2127X which has two separate outputs for the mags and piezos. Mags go in the front, piezos into input 1 R in the back. Obviously having two separate outputs is a bit different. But in my case, I put together a front panel for all the connections I need, and both inputs go into that. The rest are MIDI, input 2 L & R, output 2 L (I think it's L... whatever... the other one goes straight to the other side of my poweramp), and Speakon connections. Nothing really gets plugged into the Axe directly anymore coz it all stays permanently connected to that panel.

So if you're at all handy with soldering or know someone who is, I'd probably either just make my own cable, or more likely, put together a panel or (if I was only interested in this input problem) even just a little splitter box to plug into. I'd probably lean more towards a box or a panel, just because then you've always got that and you can plug whatever stereo lead into it. Doesn't really even have to be a box, but I'd want to do it that way to a) make things nice 'n' neat, and b) cable tie things into place inside to make sure the solder joints aren't strained. Plus then you can just stick the box to the side of the rack in the back or something.

More to the point... care to elaborate on this at all? :)
My electric has a single, stereo (TRS) output jack, because I've installed a piezo system.

Thanks for the input. I'm no good with electronics, soldering, etc. The good news is... I just found a Y cable on the 'bay that will work (the split is much deeper than my current Y adapter). Interesting, it's made by LR Baggs, the same brand as my Piezo X-Inserts.

One of the forum members here, shotgunn, actually installed my piezo system. So, if all else failed, I was going to have him make a splitter for me. I may still do that one day, but for now the Y cable I found should do the trick.

One of the forum members here, shotgunn, actually installed my piezo system. So, if all else failed, I was going to have him make a splitter for me. I may still do that one day, but for now the Y cable I found should do the trick.

Ahh yes, Shotgunn. I'm already aware of his rather nifty mods. I was rather hoping there was some simpler, less expensive and labour intensive type of solution out now. Evidently not. :(

Man, I feel like such a noob here, but I'm still struggling to figure out how I should connect this thing, and what the proper I/O settings should be. My "normal" guitars are fine, no-brainer there, but the piezo-equipped Ibby is giving me fits. So, this time I've included a pic, and to re-cap, here's my setup:

1. I have an LR Baggs piezo system retrofitted in my Ibby's Edge Pro 7.

2. My guitar has a single, stereo output jack. The tip carries the signal from the mag pickups, the ring carries the signal from the piezo inserts.

3. I use a Y cable (see pic below) that is stereo (TRS) on one end, then splits the signal out into two mono (TS) signals. Mags on the tip, piezos on the ring.

My question is how should I physically plug into my Axe-Fx? Further, what should my corresponding I/O options be in the menu?

I would LIKE to plug one end (the mags) into the front input, and the other (piezos) into the L/mono line-in of Input 1 on the back (or, should I be plugging into the R input?). However, this is where I'm currently struggling. I can't seem to get the I/O options right.

When I plug both tips into the L & R line inputs on the back, it works, but I get excessive hiss whenever I apply ANY overdrive, so I'd like to avoid connecting both to the line inputs if possible.

8543188938_31c9cdc5da_o.jpg

Well holy crap, I may have just figured it out. All this time, I've been plugging the one tip into the LEFT (mono) line-in on the back. I decided to give the RIGHT line-in a try instead and, low and behold, I finally have sound from my piezos. So, I think I'm finally doing this right, but feel free to still weigh-in if you have a better setup suggestion.

I'm still not sure I have all my I/O settings correct. I'm getting sound, sure, but I'm a little confused about the meaning of "Left Only" vs. "L+R Sum" vs. "Stereo" etc.

Awesome, thanks Chris. Will go take a look now...

--- one hour later ---

Yup, EXACTLY what I needed. Thanks again.

Last edited:
You can also use a female TRS jack wired to a split. This is how I do it and it also allows me to go dual wireless when needed. I use a low capacitance Mogami mic cord when I use a cord (TRS to TRS 1/4") and it's worked perfectly over the last year and hundreds of gigs.

I use 2 female TRS jacks and a jumper when running wireless (middle of the rack below the snake splits):
dsc4739w.jpg

dsc4735d.jpg

That's awesome. I'm using an 01v96i too and I like how you have it integrated. I thought the lighting was just for your guitar haha! I love that it's all direct!

Back
Top Bottom