HELP! Connecting Axe-Fx3 to Cubase 8

chaos83p

All - I’m in desperate need of help on how to connect an Axe-FX 3 into Cubase Pro 8 so that I can simply record some guitar. I’m at the point where I would pay someone to walk me through it. I’ve tried everything I can think of in terms of both physical and digital connections between the AxeFX 3 and the CPU/Cubase. I cannot get any sound into Cubase, nor can I see anything when I monitor a track. Yes, the guitar signals plays fine out of the connected speaker - - but does not want to route to Cubase.

Can someone with a similar setup or some knowledge walk me through the checklist of connections - - both physically and in the software to see what stupid little mistake I’m making here? There is virtually nothing I can find on the internet on connecting Cubase 8 and the Axe FX 3. My ultimate goal is re-amping, but for now - I want to pick a patch on the Axe-Fx and be able to record that “wet” sound. I would also eventually like to understand how to record a “DI” track and the process to re-amp it to a new track - but that seems like a dream at this point - as I can’t even get damn sound into this confusing program.

Here’s what I’ve done so far…
1) USB cable from AxeFX3 to cpu. Mac OS X 10.11.6. I have a guitar (wireless output) going into Input 1 on the back of the Axe FX 3.
2) In Cubase, I select ‘Axe-Fx III’ as the sound card, under “Devices —> Device Setup”
3) I go into ‘Devices —> VST Connections’ and Cubase has added 8 inputs and 8 outputs as far as I can. Note:
4) I add a new Audio track, click ‘Monitor’ icon and try selecting any number of combinations of the above INS and OUTS. Nothing moves the needle.

I really need someone to walk me through each tab and say select / create input ‘X’, make sure option Y is checked here, etc, etc, and also point out any setting on the AxeFX or physical connection I may be overlooking.

I would GREATLY appreciate anyone willing to troubleshoot and share steps with me. Please, no ‘read the manual’ comments. I’ve done that - it’s over my head. I'm embarrassed to say that I've spent 3 years and have never figured out how to record Axe-FX guitar into Cubase. Thank you all for your help to change that.

3) I go into ‘Devices —> VST Connections’ and Cubase has added 8 inputs and 8 outputs as far as I can.
Are those 8 ins and outs set to specific Axe-Fx data? Can you show a screenshot of this page? You might have to click there and assign them specifically.

They should say things like “In 1 - Axe-Fx Output 1 Left” or something like that. I haven’t used Cubase in a while so I don’t know specifically what it would say.

Thanks for the response Chris. Here's what I see under VST Connections as far as 'Inputs'...

upload_2018-11-10_19-41-13.png

And here's 'Outputs' just in case...
Only the first Stereo Out appeared at first. I added the other 3 outs manually in trying to figure out this monster.

upload_2018-11-10_19-42-28.png

Thanks for the response Chris. Here's what I see under VST Connections as far as 'Inputs'...

View attachment 50560

And here's 'Outputs' just in case...
Only the first Stereo Out appeared at first. I added the other 3 outs manually in trying to figure out this monster.

View attachment 50561
hmm that looks correct. i think there is another assignment page in the Devices>Device Setup area, but again i haven't used it in a while. poke around there.

have you tried without clicking the MONITOR icon, since you'll hear the guitar directly from the Axe (assuming your speakers are connected there)?

i think a current Cubase user needs to chime in here.

Hi,
I just had a look. Please note that I usually don't record through usb, and that I'm working on a PC with Windows 7 and Cubase 9.5., so there might be some differences.
It works perfectly here : (NB : in the vst input connections I have chosen 4X stereo inputs)

Could you post an image of the vst audio system panel in the device setup menu ? Then of the sub menu FAS USB Audio Asio Driver, where you should see that the 8 inputs and outputs are active (Had a look in cubase 8.5 and it works too here)
Someone with a Mac will probably chime in ...

I'm using AxeFXIII, Cubase 8, and Mac OS 11. It works fine for me, so I might be able to help.

In VST Connections, you'll generally only need two inputs. First, delete the input buses that were automatically created, then create a stereo bus from Out 1 Block L/Out 1 Block R. You'll use that to record the wet output from the AxeFXIII. And create a second bus, a mono one, from In 1 Instr. That will be your dry input to use when you want to re-amp.

That's all you need to record from your AxeFXIII. In your mix console window, make your input channels visible and you should see the meters move when you play your guitar. To record, create a stereo track and set the input to the stereo input bus you created in VST Connections.

If you don't see any activity on the input channel meters, work your way back upstream to find the source of the trouble. First, go to System Preferences->Sound->Input. Set the input to AxeFXIII, strum some chords, and make sure you see activity on that meter.

There are different ways to do the output. I prefer to not monitor through Cubase, but the first step is to get the input bus working.

Hi,
I just had a look. Please note that I usually don't record through usb, and that I'm working on a PC with Windows 7 and Cubase 9.5., so there might be some differences.
It works perfectly here : (NB : in the vst input connections I have chosen 4X stereo inputs)

Could you post an image of the vst audio system panel in the device setup menu ? Then of the sub menu FAS USB Audio Asio Driver, where you should see that the 8 inputs and outputs are active (Had a look in cubase 8.5 and it works too here)
Someone with a Mac will probably chime in ...

Thanks Holy - here's the requested screenshot of the 'VST Audio System' as well as the 'Axe FX III' indented tab below it, and the 'VST system link'. I tried doing as you mention (adding 4 new stereo busses under VST Connections - INPUTS that correspond to IN1/2, IN3/4, IN5/6, IN7/8 but paired for stereo). I also did the same thing for VST Connections - OUTPUTS....

Still getting nothing. The only net new thing I've noticed is that the everything now shows as "Active" in the 2nd screenshot below - - which I don't believe was the case before.

upload_2018-11-11_13-3-34.png

upload_2018-11-11_13-7-4.png

upload_2018-11-11_13-7-38.png

I'm using AxeFXIII, Cubase 8, and Mac OS 11. It works fine for me, so I might be able to help.

In VST Connections, you'll generally only need two inputs. First, delete the input buses that were automatically created, then create a stereo bus from Out 1 Block L/Out 1 Block R. You'll use that to record the wet output from the AxeFXIII. And create a second bus, a mono one, from In 1 Instr. That will be your dry input to use when you want to re-amp.

That's all you need to record from your AxeFXIII. In your mix console window, make your input channels visible and you should see the meters move when you play your guitar. To record, create a stereo track and set the input to the stereo input bus you created in VST Connections.

If you don't see any activity on the input channel meters, work your way back upstream to find the source of the trouble. First, go to System Preferences->Sound->Input. Set the input to AxeFXIII, strum some chords, and make sure you see activity on that meter.

There are different ways to do the output. I prefer to not monitor through Cubase, but the first step is to get the input bus working.

Hey Glenn - I created additional stereo inputs in VST Connections but still not getting any sound into Cubase. I went into MixConsole like you suggested and am not seeing any activity in any fader when I strum. Curiously, I also went into OSX System Preferences (good tip) and I DO see activity when I strum. Very frustrated. I do need to monitor in Cubase because the Axe-Fx and all my guitar amps are in another room from where this cpu and my interface / keyboard are. Here's a screenshot of my I/O just in case it helps....I'm all ears for any other suggestions as appears you have a similar setup. Note: the only connection between the AxeFx3 and this cpu is the USB cable (in case that matters at all). At this point, I'm all ears to even the simplest checklist items.

upload_2018-11-11_13-21-20.png

hmm that looks correct. i think there is another assignment page in the Devices>Device Setup area, but again i haven't used it in a while. poke around there.

have you tried without clicking the MONITOR icon, since you'll hear the guitar directly from the Axe (assuming your speakers are connected there)?

i think a current Cubase user needs to chime in here.

Thanks Chris. Yes, I've tried that. Is there anything you can suggest on the AxeFx3 side that I need to adjust? i.e. - I'm currently connected to the CPU via a USB cable only. Everything on the AF3 is default - I haven't picked with any presets / blocks / whatever or any utility / settings. If I need to change anything on the AF3, please let me know - as I'm assuming I don't. Curiously, I will also offer that I have powered KRK monitors connected to the AF3 Output 1 (the balanced XLRs) and am getting NO SOUND through them. At the same time, I have a FRFR powered speaker connected via TS cable and that sounds just fine. Not sure why the AF3 is not passing the sound to the CPU or the KRK monitors, but maybe there's some setting or connection that needs to be adjusted on the AF3 itself? If anything you can suggest on that - I'm all ears on that.

How do you have your tracks routed in Cubase?

Guitar track should have the following:

Input: axefx mono 1
Output: main output

Your main output in cubase should be routed to axefx output 1/2.

Forgive me for the general terms here. I’m not at my computer right now and going of memory.

Hey Glenn - I created additional stereo inputs in VST Connections but still not getting any sound into Cubase.

I suspect the problem is you're getting confused with all those extraneous input buses. Note that I suggested that you first delete those (right click->remove). Try that, then follow my instructions for creating and using input buses (your screenshot shows you didn't quite follow my instructions exactly). While you're trying to get things working, just use one stereo and one mono input bus. And double check that your input channels are visible in the mix console. After you do that, post a screenshot of your vst connections window and your mix console. If you have activity in the sys prefs input sound meter, that means you're very close to getting things working. I have the exact same setup as you, right down to a wireless going into the rear instr input :).

Axe-Fx III and latest cubase here. Via USB. No problem.

Be sure to select the Axe as audio device for input and output in the mac preferences BEFORE launching Cubase.

Once launched, in Cubase, just assign mono input 1 to IN 1 L (from memory here) and the outputs to the stereo output of the Axe. (I could try to post a pic tomorrow as it’s night here).

Create a mono track. For this track, in the inspector window, select mono input 1 as input and stereo output as output.

At this stade, you should be able to hear and record a wet mono track.

I suspect the problem is you're getting confused with all those extraneous input buses. Note that I suggested that you first delete those (right click->remove). Try that, then follow my instructions for creating and using input buses (your screenshot shows you didn't quite follow my instructions exactly). While you're trying to get things working, just use one stereo and one mono input bus. And double check that your input channels are visible in the mix console. After you do that, post a screenshot of your vst connections window and your mix console. If you have activity in the sys prefs input sound meter, that means you're very close to getting things working. I have the exact same setup as you, right down to a wireless going into the rear instr input :).

Glenn - here are the requested screenshots after removing busses and re-adding them per your instructions. I was very encouraged when you said I was close and saw levels in OSX Sound Preferences for Inputs. However, still seeing no activity in the track, nor MixConsole.

upload_2018-11-11_18-7-32.png

upload_2018-11-11_18-8-3.png

upload_2018-11-11_18-9-2.png

Axe-Fx III and latest cubase here. Via USB. No problem.

Be sure to select the Axe as audio device for input and output in the mac preferences BEFORE launching Cubase.

Once launched, in Cubase, just assign mono input 1 to IN 1 L (from memory here) and the outputs to the stereo output of the Axe. (I could try to post a pic tomorrow as it’s night here).

Create a mono track. For this track, in the inspector window, select mono input 1 as input and stereo output as output.

At this stade, you should be able to hear and record a wet mono track.

Thanks Snail. Yup, tried this. The idea of switch the OSX sound preference to 'Axe Fx III' BEFORE launching Cubase was new...unfortunately, this didn't work. I would like to put the Axe FX and Cubase in a cage and let them fight to the death. I know the Axe FX has a role in this disfunction - as it is connected to powered KRK monitors and giving me no sound through them.

Thanks Snail. Yup, tried this. The idea of switch the OSX sound preference to 'Axe Fx III' BEFORE launching Cubase was new...unfortunately, this didn't work. I would like to put the Axe FX and Cubase in a cage and let them fight to the death. I know the Axe FX has a role in this disfunction - as it is connected to powered KRK monitors and giving me no sound through them.

So, even removing your computer from the equation, you get no sound?

PM - appears the only way for the AxeFx to give me sound is the powered FRFR speaker I have connected via TS to the left "Humbuster" of Output 1. For whatever reason, the 2 balanced XLR outputs directly next to it (still "Output 1") are not giving anything to the KRK monitors I've run to the next room. I thought perhaps it can only send the signal out of 1 at a time (OUT1 hum buster vs. OUT1 balanced XLR) but just tested that. Nothing comes out of the balanced XLRs of OUT1. The KRK monitors are not the problem - they play sound fine through other sources.

Output 1 XLR and 1/4” can be used at the same time. You’ve tried both Out 1 XLR jacks and the Out 1 Level is turned up?

You now have everything set up correctly. If you're getting signal to the system preferences input meter, but not the "AF3-Stereo In" channel in cubase, then something unusual is amiss. Double check to make sure your AxeFXIII preset is sending audio to Out 1. Any factory preset will do that. Maybe try turning off ASIO guard. Otherwise, I can just offer the typical computer advice: Press the "Reset" button in the "VST Audio System" dialog in Cubase, restart Cubase, reboot your AxeFX, reboot your computer.

A couple of other comments:

I'm a little confused. In your original post you said audio from your AxeFX was playing fine through the connected speakers. Now, you say you get no sound through the connected speakers? You definitely should be getting output from the analog Output 1 L and R on your AxeFX.

System Audio settings have no effect on VST audio and vice versa. They are independent. I do not have my system audio set to the AxeFX.

A couple dumb questions to rule out....
1) Is there any change I need to make in the AxeFx as far as 'blocks' or whatever? I've never touched those features.
2) My signal chain is going Wireless Unit into a Morpheus DropTune...THEN to IN1 of the AxeFx3 on the back. Any issue there?
3) Would going balanced vs. unbalanced in certain I/Os on the AxeFx cause this? My thinking is at worst it would deteriorate, not eliminate the sound.
4) The track I'm adding to record / hear the AxeFx signal is an "AUDIO" track, correct? NOT instrument, midi, something else right?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom