Help choosing - USB/Firewire Interface about 200 used

Keg8605

Power User
Looking for some recommendations. I'd love the Motu Ultralite but i don't necessarily "need" to spend 350 (used) on it.

What I need and will use it for. I have a 2011 Macbook pro

1) Live synths stereo or mono from using the fishman triple play.
2) two preamps for my hobby of recording. (new to this)
3) Needs to have midi so I can change patches via footcontroller

What i'd like

1) It would be cool to record my bands live shows. We use about 14 channels.
2) Staying half rack size is probably a good idea but not a must.
3) Never know if I'll need more outputs.

I have been looking at the Focusrite scarlett's and saffire pros mainly. Thanks for the help.

Firewire is dead tech. Don't make it a factor in your decision. Even Apple (one of its creators) has eliminated it in all current Macs. While your MacBook Pro does have a Firewire port, I personally recommend getting an interface that has a longer lifespan.

I'd go for the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 given your requests. They sell for $250 new, so I'm sure you can find one for $200 used. FYI, I'm a big Sweetwater Music fan, and they do like to discount off of MAP. I'd just call them up (you'll be assigned a salesperson - an actual knowledgeable professional) and ask flat out - what's the best price you can give me?

interesting. I just have read a bunch that firewire is more stable but I guess you make a good point. USB would probably be cheaper too. I actually do buy a bunch currently through SW. They are great. Just sometimes stuff used can be had for half the price. I did have my eyes on the scarlett 6i6. Looks pretty nice too.

One thing to keep in mind is that none of the above mentioned interfaces have the 14 inputs you are hoping for... I think 8 is the max on most interfaces. I have a MOTU 24i that has 24 inputs but it uses an audiowire cable/card combination that would be be available for laptops.

I didn't even make 14 inputs a factor in my recommendation, mostly because there is no such interface in the price range he mentions. I just assumed (perhaps wrongly) that he wanted to have the facility to record 14 channels, not necessarily 14 inputs needed, with a mixer or the like.

Yeah, if you need 14 inputs, you'll be forking out some dough (not to mention dealing with some major hassles).

Yea 14 channels is only a wish. I've seen the same things :S. 8 would be nice. I do see a presonus firepod 8 used for sale here for 225. Any thoughts there? Yes its full 1u rack but at least i could mix acoustic band gigs. Plus i could record most of the channels and record my guitar from the axe at the same time...

That Motu 24i looks perfect except for price of course. Maybe i could sell our in ear mixer and replace it with that...hmm each of us controlling our mix with ipads. Plus recording possibilities too... i digress

Back
Top Bottom