Help choosing power amp for Axefx II

Hey guys,
I recently have started using my Axe Fx II live with the metal band I'm playing with, going through our guitarist's Crown XLS 1502 Power Amp, but I'm about to go on tour with my rock band and want to get my own power amp so I can use my axe everywhere. The main cabinet I play out of is a Hartke Hi-Drive 4x10, but I also have an ampeg 8x10 that I want to be fully power. I've been having a hard time finding recommendations for power amps to run bass cabs, so that combined with my difficulty understanding ohmage have led me to to ask you guys this:
What relatively cheap but reliable (300ish range) power amp would you recommend for powering my setup? I only need one input one output if that can help with costs, but would love to hear your thoughts on what to get, what to look for, what obvious things I'm missing, etc.
Thanks everybody!
Tags: i don't wanna live forever ringtone download, ringtones free, sms ringtones

Last edited:
Matrix amps are stellar. Come in a variety of power ratings, ohms are automatically sorted by the amp, really light to carry & sound great.
Customer service is exceptional

on the cheap side of SS power amp, but with good quality and "flat tone" for guitar modeling you have:
- Palmer Macht 402
- harley benton GPA 400

The ART SLA1/SLA2 amps are supposed to be good. Also in the same price range is the Carvin DCM200 and the Rocktron Velocity.

@alanwaston do you like that Crown you are using?

It looks like it should have plenty of power.

Run the Crown in bridged mode for Hartke cabinet. That Hartke cab is 8ohms.

IIRC the Ampeg 8x10's are 4 ohms when they run mono? If so you can still run the Crown bridged but you might back down on the output to avoid over powering the cab. The Ampeg can't take as many watts as the Hartke.

Behringer EPQ series or iNuke. I use an EPQ 2000 to run stereo a pair of peavey 215 (700 rms/1400 peak) mid highs for my guitar or a pair of Marshall 1960B (300 watt) 412 cabs. 9 years of countless hours of service with notva single issue. I also have an iNuke 6000 in my PA rack for running bass bins but that's getting above your price range however the iNuke is fantastic at low freq power handling too.

Back
Top Bottom