Help: Axe-Fx was in house fire, how do I recover it?

Sabastian

Luckily the fire didn’t come close to making contact, it was inside an open rack case. It was taken off to an ers. Met a “professional instrument restorer” he ensured it would be taken care of and two months later after settling into the new temporary residence I called to pick it up they said it was in good condition got it delivered to my door and open inspection opening the rack case she’ll it still had an overwhelming amount of smoke and soot odor radiating from it, being as I’m sure it wasn’t taken out of the case is it possible there is still smoke and soot inside the ax fx? I was told they just ozone cleaned the outside. TL;DR do I open up my ax fx to thoroughly clean the inside risking potentially more damage to it before turning it on? I’m afraid if I do those fans will just kick the soot and ash around more making it worse. Not sure if this is the right place to post but I appreciate any feedback or assistance! Thanks guys

At this point, opening it up to see what it looks like inside is really your only possible course of action. You want to do this before you attempt to turn it on. If it’s free of any debris inside, you should be okay to fire it up.

Not sure I would have contacted some 'professional restorer' to do that work when FAS is a better option. Did you talk to support here?

As long as it works, play on. There are worse odors out there...

I bought an amp extremely cheap that was a fire rescue. Worked fine but the smell was intense. Fresh air works great at neutralizing the odor but takes some time. Take your Axe outside with you on nice days or put in the garage (if you have one) and let it breathe. Take the top off the Axe and tape a fabric softener sheet on the underside and place the lid back on top, put in a couple of screws or some tape to hold in place. DO NOT turn on the Axe without removing the sheet.

If it were mine, I'd take off the lid, give it a few light spritzes of Ozuim (the stuff they use in hospitals when someone didn't make it to the bathroom on time), and leave it open to dry for a full day. Hold the can far enough away that there's only a light mist. While you've got the lid off, give that a good scrub.

1567932306394.png

I had a SMALL house fire from the kitchen. I mean SMALL. And the smell of the burnt food stuck in our washed And cleaned clothes for weeks if not a month++ before it was not noticeable. It may be just the scent. I also agreed with the dousing of compressed air. I imagine that was done already but it would be a great gauge to see/what to expect so your not shocked.

Back
Top Bottom