HELP!! Axe Fx II and Gordius Little Giant 2 (LG2) Setup

dweiskopf

Inspired
Hi!!

Apologize for the newbie question. I just purchased an Aze Fx 2 and Little Giant 2. I'm very excited. But MIDI has always been a weakness. I thought LG2 would be simpler for me because I saw the video with the 'merge' function. Or course, that's not there now.

I have two gigs coming up next week and have tried everything, but I cannot understand how to synchronize the LG2 and AF2. The only way I've been able to do things close is through the Google code third party utility which i really don't want to do. I have both 7 pin and 5 pin midi cables, axe edit and control center and all updated firmware. And a template from Gordius.

Is there anybody who would be willing to and could explain to this newbie - step by step - how to set this up so I can just modify things on my computer and have everything sync to both devices (or I guess even possibly edit on one and sync to the over directly)?

Thank you so much in advance!!!

In the German axefx.de forum there is a member called "Ozzy", who is using the LG....(we were playing some Songs together on Stage at Axe-Fest Germany in Leipzig Last Year...and i've Seen it there...

Email Xavier from Gordius. I used a Little Big Giant before the MFC 101. He was/is stellar in support for his product. He talked me through everything, even at 1am when he should have been in bed like sane people. Nicest Frenchman I ever spoke to.

Hey dweiskopf - I'm assuming that the Google code third party utility you mention is the afx2lg tool. I'm going to have some time in 2014 to improve it, so if you don't mind, it would be great to hear some suggestions for improvements so that you and/or other AxeFx/LG2 users would consider using it without fear :)

Hi!!

I have two gigs coming up next week and have tried everything, but I cannot understand how to synchronize the LG2 and AF2. The only way I've been able to do things close is through the Google code third party utility which i really don't want to do. I have both 7 pin and 5 pin midi cables, axe edit and control center and all updated firmware. And a template from Gordius.

Is there anybody who would be willing to and could explain to this newbie - step by step - how to set this up so I can just modify things on my computer and have everything sync to both devices (or I guess even possibly edit on one and sync to the over directly)?
The LG is the controller, the master... depends on what you need, you should program it.
How you would like to use the Axefx? As a traditional preset with pedal (block) state? Recall by patch? Per song, using a bank of LG to recall all the sound? Mixed all of this? Will you use the scenes of Axefx?
I think you should ask what you want to do, before getting help...

I don't sync.
I set up my Gordius so that all IA's are in there.
Then I make my presets with the IA blocks they contain.
Sounds like you're German.
I would gladly help you out with your setup.
And I won't mention the war ;)

I have the LG2 as well.

As far as I know there is no trivial way to have it synced with axe fx II states and / or presets at the moment, the best way is to sit down and program the functionality you need in the LG editor. It's very powerful and I don't think you will find many things that can't be done one way or another, you just need to sit down with it and do the work.
I admit though that I have only done the work for my main presets, which are only a handful.

tgunns axefx2lg will take a lot of the tedious work out of it, he's done a great job. I think you can use it to save a lot of time already by having it make a skeleton structure for your project (fetching preset names etc.), but it's not up to date with recent firmware yet.
Tomas is a professional programmer, there is certainly nothing fishy about his code, I've studied it. It takes a lot of effort to have a programming project on the side, on your free time! Let's support his efforts! :)

Tomas is a professional programmer, there is certainly nothing fishy about his code, I've studied it. It takes a lot of effort to have a programming project on the side, on your free time! Let's support his efforts! :)
Thanks for the kind words mrMagenta! I guess it might be appropriate to share a little bit of my programming background. I'm a software engineer/manager working on the Google Chrome browser (you could say I'm an old-timer at this point). Juggling the manager+engineering role does take a lot of time + I've also got 2 young kids (+ two teenagers!) so progress on my little project has been slower than I'd like. There's no hidden agenda or anything like that with the utility. I'm a fan of technology, believe in open source code, karma and that's about it. Great to see that someone is checking out the code and I hope it has been useful to others.

Hi.
I've got the same issue as mr. dweiskopf.
Just changing patches with the LG2 would be a great start!
I really need the small footprint of the Gordius, but just have a hard time understanding the basics of the LG2 vs Axe Fx 2.
:cry
Wanted:
LG2Axe2dummies_s.jpg

I suggest you join the Gordius group at this link "https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GORDIUS/conversations/messages"
Here you can find different templates to configure basic axefx and LG

These videos great!
However they don't cover the actual connection between the LG2 and the Axe-Fx 2 - only midi gear in general.
Ive used countless hours studying music, but midi programming hardware stuff isn't all that logical to me.
Wish there was some kind of template base for the LG.

Thanx bobrian! I've checked out the group you recommended. :encouragement:
Can't say i could font these templates you mentioned tho...

Templates for the Axe Fx 2 would be awesome! I seriously don't see why this haven't been done by Gordius or someone though.
I work on different DAWs, and about any outboard gear that connects through MIDI has setups for most common DAWs etc.

I recently bought a new Akai midi keyboard (Midi controller). All i had to do to make it work with Logic Pro on my Mac was to update a settings file.
Pow - working! Adjustments like assignments and stuff gets done as i need them.
I only wish i could have - lets say a couple of LG2-AFX2 templates to chose from. As a starting point.

Last edited:
Xavier is not French but Belgian.

tumblr_m7qdv8nJGL1r30ejpo1_400.gif

Hi Dweiskopf & JorgenFors, I do not understand where to start to help you (as I can). Were you able to connect the two machines? (7 pin midi cable - LG MIDI OUT / Axefx MIDI IN). With LG2 Control Center failed to see the connection? If this is already working, with the help of templates that you can find on Gordius Forum in the section "FILES", you can enable LG to command Axefx more or less simple (change sound, effects, scenes, etc.). The only problem is the name of the patches that LG will not match your Axefx, so with the ingenious program by the very talented Tgunn "afx2lg", you can successfully transfer patches from Axefx to LG. I hope to have helped

Back
Top Bottom