Help/Advice on using FOH & Monitors in a Church Setting

nick07evans

Hello everyone! I know there are a lot of fellow Sunday worship rockers out there like me on these threads, but anyone with some advice would be greatly appreciated. Right now I am using the Axe FX II (MKII) in my church's praise and worship team. Currently, I am running Output 1 to the main mixer in the church's sound booth(FOH), and just monitoring myself with the house monitors. Unfortunately, after a couple of months doing so, I am having trouble hearing myself in the mix. I would love to have a personal monitor with just myself coming through. I'm new to the whole FRFR thing and the various uses for it.... I have looked at various brands such as the QSC K12. I hear a lot of mixed reviews on some of the FRFR speakers. All I want to do is to be able to hear myself more with out being louder for everyone else. I want to have a speaker on stage that I can control and adjust for me. I know there is a lot of info on various setups and rigs here on the forum, but I can't seem to find what I am looking for. Any ideas, reviews on speakers, etc would be great. Thanks!

You can use the out 2 LR to a amp/cab on stage and control this volume independly of out1LR (FOH) at the front. If you use a guitar cab you move the cab to the right in the chain and put a fx-block to the left of it. The OUT2 comes from where the fx-block is put. With a FRFR cab you put the fx-block to the right of the cab-block (or probably more easy use somting called copy out 1 to out 2 in I/O menu)

We use in-ears at church. Were I in your situation I would pick up an Atomic CLR and drive it from Output 2 on the AxeFX II. If you still have trouble hearing yourself in the mix with that configuration than I'd suggest working on your patches. You have to EQ your tones to sit properly in the mix.

Terry.

I see no reason why you would need to worry about having independent outputs. I would use the XLR's to send your signal to the FOH, and use the 1/4" outs from output 1, to send the same thing to a full range amp/speaker. In a bind about 15 years ago, I was sharing a floor wedge with a bunch of singers at church but I wanted to hear more guitar, so I put one walkman headphone into one ear and listened to myself right from my rig's headphone jack (a KORG A1 2-rack space effects module). So I got everything through the floor wedge, and just guitar directly into my left ear.

With the Axe II and cabinet simulation being sent to the mixer, you should be able to monitor the same tone with a FRFR speaker. I imagine most speakers/amp combo units have their own volume control, so you should be able to get all the volume you need from your FRFR by using it's volume knob, and leave the output 1 volume setting on the Axe II alone, to make the FOH guy happy.

Yes, if you intend to monitor yourself on-stage with a real guitar amp, you'll need to split to get around your cabinet simulation. But I would advise you not to do that. I would think you would want to program sounds that sound great through the FOH, and monitor them through a "small sound system" of your own - which is a FRFR rig such as an Atomic, whatevermabob that everyone on here talks about.

Good luck.

Wow... thank you all for the help! I'm leaning towards trying the Atomic. Seems like everyone likes it! I just didn't know which way was best as far as using a FRFR speaker for myself while also going FOH and through all of the other monitors. I don't think I want to have to worry with "splitting" my signal, so I guess I will run Out 1 XLR L&R to FOH and then run the 1/4 L&R from Out1 to an Atomic or QSC. Now to decided on which speaker, Atomic or QSC! Thanks again! ...All of you!

Back
Top Bottom