HELP: adapting my presets to FRFR (Q12) is a mess!!!!

pisquano

Inspired
ok so let me tell you
I copied my old trusty and crucial LEd Zep presets to new locations and started to adapt them to sound good with my new K12....

I put a cab simulation and, to my surprise, my initial reactions is that I found most presets sound way too dark: the only one I really liked is the 2X12 Black with a 57 mic....

anyway... i then found that most of my patches sound ...FLAT_ so it's the opposite problem i though I would have(as the advice I read is to put an EQ to block out frequencies).
in my case they all lack bass and treble... particularly treble....the sound boring!
so I had to put a graphic EQ in each patch with a V configuation, but strangely every patch needs a different tweaking.... A LOT OF WORK with questionable results so far!

what I though was awesome with the AXE is that I could plug it to a variety of amps (which I did so far) and with minimal effort it sounds great and it's true.
but the sound I am hearing now is very different... and not very rewarding.
I almost feel compelled to heavily EQ all presets to get to what I had before much more easily (for example last time I played with a band with an improvised fender amp in the room and sounded awesome)

is it normal or am I missing something?

i think my initial enthusiasm for the FRFR is quickly vanishing - and I am panicking as I start to think I should go back to a trusty amp and send this back to Thomann....
but maybe it's just that I do not know how to tweak this?

all my presets were created with a combo so maybe that's the reason?

Did you turn the Power Amp sim on?
(Sag should be greater than zero)...and make sure the global is on as well.

BBN said:
Did you turn the Power Amp sim on?
(Sag should be greater than zero)...and make sure the global is on as well.

yes to all questions

my avg values for SAG is 5.98
power amp sim is on and global poweramp aND CAB sim are ON

Before deciding you don't like it maybe you should try the Axechange and download a few patches that were created for a FRFR environment and see how you feel about them. If you like them you will quickly learn what they are doing right by looking at the settings.

Coop said:
Before deciding you don't like it maybe you should try the Axechange and download a few patches that were created for a FRFR environment and see how you feel about them. If you like them you will quickly learn what they are doing right by looking at the settings.

good idea,,,, will try that

but I am still a bit shocked...I thought the "transition" would be much easier...

any other experience you guys can share? anyone who had to adapt presets to an FRFR environment?

Thanks
Has anyone experienced the same need to put an EQ in V configuration?
This seems to contradict what the FAQ say...

I guess I'm trying to understand what other parameters than cab and eq need to be tweaked

pisquano said:
ok so let me tell you
I copied my old trusty and crucial LEd Zep presets to new locations and started to adapt them to sound good with my new K12....
... i then found that most of my patches sound ...FLAT_
...in my case they all lack bass and treble... particularly treble....the sound boring!
so I had to put a graphic EQ in each patch with a V configuation, but strangely every patch needs a different tweaking.... A LOT OF WORK with questionable results so far!
is it normal or am I missing something?
One important thing to note here: the sound you hear in your FRFR system is the same sound your audience hears through FOH (assuming your FRFR monitor is close enough to generic, and has somewhat similar characteristics to the FOH system). The tone you were getting with a real amp and a real cab was yours alone, and nobody in the audience was hearing that. They all heard the FOH system.

Why am I mentioning that? Because many users seem to forget that patches tweaked for a real amp and cab will sound a certain way on stage, but nobody else ever hears that tone. If you're feeding direct to FOH, what they hear is the amp and cab modelling. Therefore, if you embrace the FRFR approach, you need to tweak your tones based on FRFR (not based on a real amp and cab). The rewards are significant because your tone on stage will match (reasonably) your tone through FOH.

Switching from real amp / real cab to FRFR is a major reset in approach, and needs some significant effort (for significant payback).

thanks
after 1 more day of tweaking I am getting decent results...

a few things I noticed is that most presets sounded a bit dark becuase "depth" and "damp" were set to 0....
i found it helps to play with these 2 parameters...

strangely some presets required mid to heavy EQ to sound right, while others nothing at all

the other strange thing is I have now a couple of presets where I seem to have a "output clip" issue that I didn't have before...the red light on the Fractal lights up, but I can't understand what the problem is, as the perceived volume is not louder than others... :?

Back
Top Bottom