Hello, Introduction and question

icu81b4

Hi,

I'm Alan from the UK, and have my name down on the list for both an AX8 and an FX8, however I don't intend to buy both but I am as yet undecided as to which one to get, but as you see I have posted this on the FX8 forum so my leanings are with that.

I have been a L6 guy for years, and my reason for wanting to change are twofold,
1. my HD500 pedal broke, and
2. L6 seemed to have dumped the channel switching linkage to the DT25 amp on the Helix.
(I really like the L6/Bogner DT25 amp, in fact I have two of them)

What I liked about the HD500 and DT25 is the simple setup at gigs, (the DT25 emulation line out takes some beating) and since my HD500 broke, I have been using my Mesa MarkV/25 with TC Electronic G Force and some Drive and Wah pedals in front ( Nova drive and TS) and I like that option too, but it means I'm carrying one too many things to load into the car/stage/storage/studio (Amp,Effects Rack,Speaker,Pedalboard).

But I'm a little concerned about the posts which state that the FX8 runs out of cpu, I recall when the HD500 did that then L6 produced the HD500x and am wondering if FAS are about to do the same thing, or if I'm worrying unduly.

Anyhoo, Sorry for the long first post, but a problem shared and all that ... :)

Al.

Hi,

I'm Alan from the UK, and have my name down on the list for both an AX8 and an FX8, however I don't intend to buy both but I am as yet undecided as to which one to get, but as you see I have posted this on the FX8 forum so my leanings are with that.

I have been a L6 guy for years, and my reason for wanting to change are twofold,
2. L6 seemed to have dumped the channel switching linkage to the DT25 amp on the Helix.

What I liked about the HD500 and DT25 is the simple setup at gigs, (the DT25 emulation line out takes some beating) and since my HD500 broke, I have been using my Mesa MarkV/25 with TC Electronic G Force and some Drive and Wah pedals in front ( Nova drive and TS) and I like that option too, but it means I'm carrying one too many things to load into the car/stage/storage/studio (Amp,Effects Rack,Speaker,Pedalboard).

But I'm a little concerned about the posts which state that the FX8 runs out of cpu, I recall when the HD500 did that then L6 produced the HD500x and am wondering if FAS are about to do the same thing, or if I'm worrying unduly.

Al.

I highly doubt it. BTW As a previous HD500x owner, I promise you will never look back.

Hi,

Al.
The FX8 is relatively new as a product. I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if they have any plans to replace it for years to come.

As for the CPU:

I and most users have no issues that we can't work our way around. It's literally not an issue to me ever.

It's also the best sounding, search ending pedal of my dreams. :)

It has exceeded every expectation...
The CPU is a non issue...
The best sounding pedal board I have ever used...

Reactions: Ka2
Ok, thanks for easing my concerns.

I have seen posts that state that it works ok with the relay switching on the Mesa mark 5/25 so that's good, i just need to wait now then.

I have an FX8 into a Mesa MKV/25 in 4CM and it works a treat. I suspect the people who are running out of CPU are using the highest quality reverbs and other CPU hungry effects all at the same time. Depending on what you are playing, the reality is that you don't need the high quality reverbs (the standard ones ar high quality anyway) as it would all get lost in the band mix anyway. 'Less is more' and all that :)

I have an FX8 into a Mesa MKV/25 in 4CM and it works a treat. I suspect the people who are running out of CPU are using the highest quality reverbs and other CPU hungry effects all at the same time. Depending on what you are playing, the reality is that you don't need the high quality reverbs (the standard ones ar high quality anyway)

Seconded. I play post-rock, prog and other ambient genres with tons of delay and reverb effects, and never run out of CPU realistically. The "normal" quality reverbs sound more dimensional and detailed than the Strymon Big Sky to my ears. Not saying you don't want to hear the high-res versions, but if it comes down to it and you have so much going on that you're hitting CPU limit, taking the reverbs down a notch will be a complete non-issue. I do use the highest settings for recording, but live there's no real reason, especially going through a guitar head/cab. The sound is absolutely beautiful regardless.

Thanks for all the feedback folks, much appreciated. I have a question for 'sonicman' but I need to do some research first. :)

I've used the FX8 with a Mark 5 with no issues at all. It sounds incredible I'm 4cm.

If you live near Sudbury, Suffolk your welcome to come over and have a look at mine.

Hey bread, most kind of you, I lived in Suffolk for a couple of years in the mid 80's but am now on the Fylde coast in Lancashire, so a tad too far.

I'm still waiting for an invite to purchase the FX8 here in the UK, but because of upcoming gigs, I've tried and managed to fix my HD500 switch problem, Rats!!!
This means I have less need for the FX8 and more guilt about getting one :(

Alan,
Welcome from another English FX8 user !

Stuff the HD500... Its like comparing a Mini to a Rolls Royce :)

Just get the FX8...

Ive spent thousands on the 'great' pedals. Follow my threads and you'll see.

About 5/6 weeks ago, I spur-of-the-moment bought a Helix to use as effects with my great amps. Very average. Affected the tone, muffled, and it was hard to get unity etc etc. Anyway, someone on the UK Fretboard Forum offered a straight swop with the Fx8. Id barely heard of it. But, research taught me that the FX8 would be easy to flip, so I did the deal...

Im a technophobe really, with very little patience, and a horror of tweaking...

THE FX8 IS, WITHOUT DOUBT, ONE OF THE BEST PURCHASES IVE EVER MADE !

The sounds easily beat the Helix; unity straight out of the box. Simple, intuitive to use. The looper is magnificent (wish it could save your loops), and the verbs are stunning. The drives need a touch more work and tweaking.

I had a few hours last weekend re-wiring my Gigrig based board. Frustrations, noise issues etc etc.

Plugged in the FX8. Played. Created. Grew as a musician.

AND IM STILL LEARNING HOW TO BLOODY USE THE THING !!!

But heres the rub. I a/b some of my fave pedals. Nailed them on the FX8. Sold £1500 of pedals this week, including Moog 104SD, Rotobone, Infinity Looper, Meteore. The FX8 does the lot.

Pretty sure my new Salvage Custom board, Gigrig G2 and assorted pedals are for the chop next ;)

Tonight, I played into my Rambler and Lazy J20. Stunning sounds. Best ive ever played AND sounded. No hum, no interefrence, no Lehle amp switchers, etc etc. Just perfect sounds. Bloody incredible :)

Oh, and ive placed pedals before AND after the FX8. Perfect.

Yep, Im overwhelmed, shocked and truly delighted by the FX8.

Right. Now to see how it shapes with this lot...

Hey, thanks for taking time to respond, :) I really appreciate that feedback and I have now just purchased one from another member of this forum, So I'll hopefully get it on Wednesday.

I now have to source some cables for the 4CM method (although I may have an old 'snake' lying around I could butcher) and a decent foot pedal, like the Mission SP1 to find.

That is some lovely kit you have there. ... is that two Lazy J's? I'd never heard of them but just checked the website and I bet they are super.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for an invite to purchase the FX8 here in the UK, but because of upcoming gigs, I've tried and managed to fix my HD500 switch problem, Rats!!!
This means I have less need for the FX8 and more guilt about getting one :(

You won't look back. I sold my HD500, not even close to the same calibre. I also sold all my pedals, and don't think about buying more.

Like others have said, the FX8 lives up to the hype. I have had no regrets whatsoever. The CPU "issue" did make me nervous since I had already purchased it and it was on the way. Thankfully it's never been a problem. I'm not going to say you can't run out of CPU because it is possible to create presets that do but it's never been an issue for me and countless others.

Another former HD500 user here too. Emphasis on "former." :)
The drives in the FX8 are in a different class. And "no tone suck" is exactly that! Unlike any other multifx I've ever used.
I have bumped up against the cpu limit when I had a rotary and a reverb block in a preset with all of the slots used. Easily worked around by creating a different preset. Most of my regular presets it hasn't been an issue at all.

Back
Top Bottom