Hello From Texas!

Hello all!!

Just recently got an Axe II and I figure I had better learn how to use it. I'm not a huge forum guy and the only other one I'm on is TGP. I'm looking forward to reading everyones thoughts on the unit and hoping the knowledge will save me a lot of time. Always been a tube amp guy but, in the short time I've had the Axe, it has inspired me to play things outside my box. My gear consists of a Tom Anderson strat I bought back in 92", a grosh strat, a Fatboy amp from the early 90's, a 66 Super Reverb, a Naylor Duel Highdrive 60 and a pretty good size pedalboard. I'm starting to experiment with using the Axe as a preamp and using it through the effects loop of my Naylor for effects only. Any suggestions for this Axe noob are appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Drop the amp altogether! Your your style of gear you are mentioning, it appears that FRFR is what you want. It sounds beautiful through the right cab, and will save you so much in space and weight. Look up the new Atomic and Matrix FRFR options. Browse the forums and you will find what you are looking for! Good luck!

Congrats man. I'm just a hop, skip and a jump from you (Mansfield) :p

And I agree with Trainwreck. I go FRFR and have never looked back. You'll be rewarded.

Another hop skip and jump here......Granbury. Ditto.....drop the amps and pedals. Don't needem' anymore.

Guitar---->volume pedal----->Axe II-----> DI FOH or to a QSC K-10 is all I need and quite happy.

+1. Those are some really nice amps you have, but you'll never heard the breadth the Axe is capable of running through the Naylor (great as the Naylor is...a guy I know who owns a music store and has had 100s if not 1000s of amps he could've kept loves his Naylor combo as much as anything).

Welcome to the journey. Many, if not most people here think it's the best gear they've ever bought and it's going to get even better with the next FW upgrade.

I'm south of you down in Austin. I would second the FRFR route if you have the coin to do so. I think the amp modeling and cab IR's are just too good a part of the package to only use the Axe for FX. I still have plenty of pedals and several of my favorite amps (mostly vintage Fender) that I don't intend to let go of. But the Axe into FRFR is as good or better for me. I'm on the list for one of the CLR monitors- been using the Axe through studio monitors up to now, so home use only. Just my $.02

Austin Axe II lover here as well. Welcome to the club.

Hotplate, let me know when you get the CLR. I may want to come over and listen.......

just a hop, skip and a flight... lmao... Berkshire UK
but on the odd occasion when I'm in Tx, it's usually in the Plano, Allen area...
with plenty of trips to the AA Centre to see The Stars...
and of course some cultural exchange in Deep Ellum... lol..

violently agreeing with the others, if you've never tried FRFR with the Axe, you should endeavour to give it a shot...

Welcome in! A bit farther than most (in Tx), but a lot closer than Clarky when he's not soaking up culture! ;)

I am in Lake Jackson, about 50 miles south of Houston. I have family in Austin and Wylie so I am all over either gigging or visiting. Welcome to the forum, I'm sure there is someone nearby that will let you run your Axe II through an FRFR cab to get an idea. There are others who can point you in the right direction for Axe + Amp setups. Most here (me included) eventually got to the FRFR option and never looked back. We look forward to hearing how it works for you.

Ha, I'm no were neer TX But I can say from my 4+ years of using the Axe and coming from a tube amp background I went from tube power amp and guitar cabs to SS amps and guitar cabs to SS amp and FR cab. With the Axe II I'm confident you could go right to FR as long as you not too hung up on a back line look. Put a wedge or two on the floor infront of you, tune in a preset and go.

Welcome. Take your time with the Axe II. You can use you're amps for a while, but I think you're going to find yourself slowly being drawn into the FRFR paradigm.
Three and a half years in I still have amps and cabs but I rarely use them. FRFR pretty much full-time.

Another neighbor here... Tarrant county...
And Clarky.. I hate to bbreak it to ya bud, but there's not much "culture" left to exchange in Deep Ellum.. it sorta moved.. to Foat Wurth !! :)

Another neighbor here... Tarrant county...
And Clarky.. I hate to bbreak it to ya bud, but there's not much "culture" left to exchange in Deep Ellum.. it sorta moved.. to Foat Wurth !! :)

all depends on your definition of culture I guess....

my own standards are pretty low...
and I'm kinda proud of the fact that I fail to achieve them... consistently..

Right here in dallas as well. Sold everything and now run an frfr system exclusively: axe fx ii and mfc in december, and GTFX1000 and 2, q12p a few days ago. Happily, I will never look back

Raze

Back
Top Bottom