Helix HX one

These 1 effect at a time pedals (H9, M5, HX ONE ...) are great via midi control for effects that you tend not to use simultaneously. I have M5 and H9 connected pre and post respectively to Ax3 (originally had them to supplement Ax2mk1 cpu but kept them for variety) for Chorus OR Vibe OR Rotary OR Flange OR Phaser OR Tremolo OR Detune OR .. all pre or post no 2 of which I never run simultaneously. So, in that sense, more than just a single fx pedal in a way. Both my M5 and H9 still sound great for that stuff as well as other goodies. The problem with the latest ones is that they are over priced imo - at maybe around 30% less I would jump on upgrading my M5 to HX-One

Last edited:
I believe that is the deal. It is sort of reminiscent of the Eventide H9 (where is that these days?).
On a ton of boards still I think - still very viable (though one would wonder here given all the related silly negativity)

Last edited:
I guess I'm looking at it from a FAS prospective! If I had a single pedal type of pedal board or a Tube amp with a few nice pedals on it I might be interested in something like that but I don't. For me it's Interesting! but unneeded and at a price point that leaves me less than excited.

I will admit there are some pedals out there that I really like the Algos and wish the FAS could offer up something that nails them down but that want was squashed years ago.

On a ton of boards still I think - still very viable (though one would wonder here given all the related silly negativity)
Surely there are. It's not like those units sold just disappear. Just for awhile there was a bunch of hype and product updates/new algorithms being added. I haven't seen anything in a very long while (even for the H90). BTW, wasn't being negative just saw a similarity.

Last edited:
For one effect at a time, it would have to be $99. No discussion, end of story.
I can't fathom how to use something like this for anything other than just a single (let's say Delay) pedal usage.
If I need Verb and Delay and Chorus....I need them all independently available and the ability to use them all together.
It's a hard no.

I guess I'm looking at it from a FAS prospective!
+1 - Def not needed with Ax3/FM9 in most cases (tho I still find the odd case where I'm using them with Ax3 - I used M5(pre) / H9 (post) with Ax2-m1 initially to supplement limited CPU). But even today, ie in the case of FM3, an HX1 is a useful cpu expander for those who like mod fx, since mod fx are easy to externalize compared to reverb and delay which can be more difficult given folks often want them running parallel+simultaneously, where as we tend to use mod fx one-at-a-time. Fairly simple (and inexpensive wrt HX1 (tho I think it should be less $) to externalize all mod fx to descent sounding equivilents, and/or as a wildcard effect as mentioned above.

Last edited:
For one effect at a time, it would have to be $99. No discussion, end of story.
I can't fathom how to use something like this for anything other than just a single (let's say Delay) pedal usage.
If I need Verb and Delay and Chorus....I need them all independently available and the ability to use them all together.
It's a hard no.
do you often use multiple mod fx simultaneously? - many don't (or even modfx + pitchfx) which makes this kind of pedal viable still for a relatively lo$ multiple fx cpu expander for modellers.

Last edited:
do you often use multiple mod fx simultaneously? - many don't (or even modfx + pitchfx) which makes this kind of pedal viable still for a relatively lo$ multiple fx cpu expander for modellers.
The scenario I described is my simplest Use Case (Acoustic Gig). Yes I'll use all three together and individually based on the song need.
For cases where I just need effects (for acoustic) I bought a HX Stomp for $350 used. I can't see how this product could compete with a used HX stomp. Again, that's just my needs.

When I saw this product announcement (as there just seems to be so much new coming out in the modeling arena), I was like - oh cool, let's see what it offers. And the 'one effect at a time' had me scratching my head.

It’s been funny seeing the modeling world react to this with “It’s useless”…..yeah, if you’re using a fully packed modeler that can do all this already, duh. This isn’t made for that market and I’m scratching my head a bit at the people who seem to think it was.

In my pre-Fractal days, I got an M5 just because it was the cheapest option at the time for a reverse delay. I thought it was kinda dumb to pack all those effects into a unit and only be able to use one at a time but once I actually had the pedal I found myself using it all the time for random stuff I didn’t even think I’d use it for and it made it’s way onto my pedalboard with all the other pedals.

This HXOne has two loops, while you can only run one effect at a time, it still opens up a world of options for a pedal-based rig. Use it as a boost into an amp for one preset and a delay at the end of a chain for the other. This is PERFECT for the cover band guys who only need a flanger for 4 seconds in one song, or a harmony for one tune and they don’t want to buy an extra pedal just for that.

I don’t see an issue with the pricing, but again, I think this is a concept that might be forgotten to guys who have been in a modeler for years and aren’t doing a traditional board these days; this could either go next to the $400 Vibe pedal that only does one thing in front of my amp, or it can go next to the $350 delay pedal that only does one thing at the end of the signal chain. For $300 and fit anywhere in between those, doing anything pedal-related one could think of. They’re going to sell an assload of these.

It’s also sized just right. The M5 was a chunky bastard and still made it’s way onto plenty of pro-boards for many of the same reasons listed above.

It’s been funny seeing the modeling world react to this with “It’s useless”…..yeah, if you’re using a fully packed modeler that can do all this already, duh. This isn’t made for that market and I’m scratching my head a bit at the people who seem to think it was.

In my pre-Fractal days, I got an M5 just because it was the cheapest option at the time for a reverse delay. I thought it was kinda dumb to pack all those effects into a unit and only be able to use one at a time but once I actually had the pedal I found myself using it all the time for random stuff I didn’t even think I’d use it for and it made it’s way onto my pedalboard with all the other pedals.

This HXOne has two loops, while you can only run one effect at a time, it still opens up a world of options for a pedal-based rig. Use it as a boost into an amp for one preset and a delay at the end of a chain for the other. This is PERFECT for the cover band guys who only need a flanger for 4 seconds in one song, or a harmony for one tune and they don’t want to buy an extra pedal just for that.

I don’t see an issue with the pricing, but again, I think this is a concept that might be forgotten to guys who have been in a modeler for years and aren’t doing a traditional board these days; this could either go next to the $400 Vibe pedal that only does one thing in front of my amp, or it can go next to the $350 delay pedal that only does one thing at the end of the signal chain. For $300 and fit anywhere in between those, doing anything pedal-related one could think of. They’re going to sell an assload of these.

It’s also sized just right. The M5 was a chunky bastard and still made it’s way onto plenty of pro-boards for many of the same reasons listed above.
Looks like it has a true true bypass option as well (my preferred def of TBP is that you can disconnect the power and it still passes signal), which like my M5 means, it can be 100% transparent which is perfect for intermittent fx not used simultaneously. I'll upgrade my M5 to one at some point.

I have TC Mimiq doubler and Digitech Euphoria 12 String effect pedals (never used simultaneously) both of which could be replaced by HX1 pedal's "Double Take" (or alternatively "ADT"), and "12 String" fx (yes, Axe can approach these with some effort but we don't yet have dedicated blocks for them). There's also an Acoustic Sim in there that i'd be keen on using intermittently.

Last edited:
The scenario I described is my simplest Use Case (Acoustic Gig). Yes I'll use all three together and individually based on the song need.
For cases where I just need effects (for acoustic) I bought a HX Stomp for $350 used. I can't see how this product could compete with a used HX stomp. Again, that's just my needs.

When I saw this product announcement (as there just seems to be so much new coming out in the modeling arena), I was like - oh cool, let's see what it offers. And the 'one effect at a time' had me scratching my head.
I agree it needs to ideally be a little less expensive new in relation to stomp new, but comparison between HX1 new and Stomp used won't reveal anything relevant imo since "used" could be a huge range of condition / cost to ship ....

Last edited:
This is PERFECT for the cover band guys who only need a flanger for 4 seconds in one song, or a harmony for one tune and they don’t want to buy an extra pedal just for that.

Yeah, that.

A lot of people really rave about the Line6 effects. IDK...I've never really used them. I have played a Helix back when I was first looking at modelers, and it didn't really wow me...but I was looking for a rig replacement. Chris Buck definitely gets a lot out of his HX Stop big boy or whatever it's called, and he sounds great.

The thing isn't for me, but...I think it's kinda cool.

ETA:

I like this thing much better than basically all of the UAD pedals. Sound/algorithm quality aside...it does more and is less expensive than most of them. And, frankly, the UAD pedals haven't really impressed me, certainly not enough to spend $200-500 on a pedal. I'm not saying they're bad, just that they're not going to tear me away from already being able to do all the things in the Fractal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom