Helix Control Pedal + Axe FX III

Hey guys,

Just curious about this. I've been trying to figure out if I could use a Helix Control Pedal as a midi pedalboard for my Axe III. Anybody have any experience with this? Probably doubtful with the III being so new. But I love the look of the Helix Control Pedal and would love to use it.

Since there is no MIDI, to make the Helix Control work with the Axe-Fx 3 you would need to build a box that does the following:
  • Has a controller like a small Arduino or other cheap little thing with a programmable firmware.
  • Ports for each unit (XLR for FASLink, Ethernet for Helix Control)
  • Program said controller to a) intercept the messages sent by Axe-Fx 3 and b) translate them to whatever format understood by the Helix Control.
  • As above but to the other direction from Helix Control to Axe-Fx 3.
With no spec for either you would have to do a fair bit of reverse engineering and port sniffing to figure out the data formats. If you put value on your time, you're looking to spend a fair bit more than just buying a FC12.

There are more than one forumite experimenting with Helix-as-III -controller as we speak..I tried to use my first gen Helix as a controller for multiple units in my home studio with limited success (before Line6 beefed up the MIDI specs on Helix fairly recently) but If you have the patience, it can be done successfully...but gimme dat FC6, puhlleeze.

There are more than one forumite experimenting with Helix-as-III -controller as we speak..I tried to use my first gen Helix as a controller for multiple units in my home studio with limited success (before Line6 beefed up the MIDI specs on Helix fairly recently) but If you have the patience, it can be done successfully...but gimme dat FC6, puhlleeze.

The Helix Floor or LT can work for this as it outputs MIDI and has actually really good controls for determining what it sends but the Helix Control is more like the FC, a proprietary "dumb" box.

Hey guys,

Just curious about this. I've been trying to figure out if I could use a Helix Control Pedal as a midi pedalboard for my Axe III. Anybody have any experience with this? Probably doubtful with the III being so new. But I love the look of the Helix Control Pedal and would love to use it.

It will absolutely work as long as you use this dongle:

helix.jpg

Back
Top Bottom