Helix as controller for AFX

Kingjimmi

Inspired
Sounds like the Helix (floor version) will work pretty well for my limited needs as a MIDI controller while adding a bunch of cool extras. Attached is some pertinent info about MIDI capabilities for anyone interested in the product as a MIDI controller.

It looks like the Helix Control at launch will not be able to be used as a general MIDI foot controller. It does have a USB port, so the potential does exist in the future for them to add USB MIDI support. Not ideal for a computer-less solution, but companies make boxes that can convert USB MIDI to 5-pin as long as the product is USB Class compliant.

Promising stuff.
Palico, on 11 Jun 2015 - 4:47 PM, said:
On the Expression pedals, will the Mission Engineer pedals for L6 work with it? Or will it use new ones?

Yes, Mission's Line 6 pedals will work.

spider1974, on 11 Jun 2015 - 5:30 PM, said:
Question: How deep would be implemented MIDI command for control external devices? It will be close to solution like Ground Control Pro? I.e.:
under one switch it send for example messages for 5 devices on different channels and for every device it send 1-10 CC#, PC.

It's only one message per switch (or two values, for CC Toggle and CV/Expression Toggle messages), but you also get up to six buffered commands that are instantly spit out when recalling the preset, even if they're not assigned to a switch.

duncann, on 11 Jun 2015 - 5:39 PM, said:
Another MIDI question. Can the device be controlled by a DAW, USB-to-MIDI?

Yes, Helix sends and receives MIDI over USB. We have a setlist of template presets that include DAW remote capability.

PRSGuy, on 11 Jun 2015 - 5:46 PM, said:
Did you change the way the expression pedal switches between exp1 and exp2? I was always uncomfortable with the amount of force necessary to switch between the two.

Does the front panel operate in a "live" mode (display patch info versus signal chain or whatever)?

Do the effect tails remain across patch changes?

If you don't use external expression pedals, EXP 1 and EXP 2 switch in a similar manner, but you can do crazy routing things in the signal flow that can preclude this.

90% of your day-to-day editing is accomplished from the Home screen. The notion of multiple edit pages was actively avoided.

Helix won't have preset spillover at launch. We have some cool ideas on how this might be implemented in the future, but we can't promise anything. The good news is that Helix's routing is incredibly flexible, so you can do all sorts of inter-preset switching that can emulate spillover.

spider1974, on 11 Jun 2015 - 6:11 PM, said:
Six commands like CC, PC? or SysEx :) on different channels?

The six instant commands can be CC, Bank/Prog (MSB, LSB, PC), MMC, External Amp 1/2/1&2, or CV. MIDI commands can follow the Base Channel or be set to their own channel.

No creation of big custom SysEx strings, but if it's something you'd like to see, IdeaScale that sucka!

kquann, on 11 Jun 2015 - 6:47 PM, said:
Can the Helix Control unit be used as a MIDI controller (MIDI in/out ports) without the corresponding rackmount Helix?

Will The Helix Control be backwards compatible with existing POD HDs?

Helix Control has no MIDI jacks. Its USB port is designated "for potential future use (TBD)."

Currently, it only works with Helix Rack, but later—who knows?

EDIT: Additional info - Two way communication to allow scribble strip to sync with external devices is not in the launch. Kind of puts a damper on my plans for it, but at this price point and feature set, I can live with that. I'll probably start an IdeaScale post begging for the functionality. Will edit post and link the thread if anyone else wants to +1 it or however their system works.

Kingjimmi said: ↑
Any word on MIDI foot controller capabilities? Two way MIDI support so the scribble strips can reflect presets on a Kemper, Axe FX, or other?
That would be insane, and Helix's MIDI support is really powerful, but not quite that cool yet.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Helix (floor version) will work pretty well for my limited needs as a MIDI controller while adding a bunch of cool extras. Attached is some pertinent info about MIDI capabilities for anyone interested in the product as a MIDI controller.

It looks like the Helix Control at launch will not be able to be used as a general MIDI foot controller. It does have a USB port, so the potential does exist in the future for them to add USB MIDI support. Not ideal for a computer-less solution, but companies make boxes that can convert USB MIDI to 5-pin as long as the product is USB Class compliant.

Promising stuff.
Confused, here!

The two statements in bold, above, are contradictory... unless the two statements refer to two different units? Is the floor version Helix not the same as the Helix Control?

Yes, the L6 is releasing three products under the Helix line:
1. Helix - The all in one foot controller
2. Helix Rack - Rackmount version
3. Helix Control - foot controller for the rack version

Also, just used the Woodwind & Brasswind: Band and Orchestra Instruments Store 20% off promo. YOU MUST CALL TO GET THE PROMO. $1199.99!!!

Ah, ok. And which of the three *can* be used as a midi floor controller (for an Axe-FX, for example?)? Just number 1 (Helix)?

Yes, the L6 is releasing three products under the Helix line:
1. Helix - The all in one foot controller
2. Helix Rack - Rackmount version
3. Helix Control - foot controller for the rack version

Also, just used the Woodwind & Brasswind: Band and Orchestra Instruments Store 20% off promo. YOU MUST CALL TO GET THE PROMO. $1199.99!!!
Wanted to repost this as the price will be $57 cheaper(depending on your state tax).
I try and buy from Musicians Friend on major holidays, 4th of July, Labor Day, ETC. for 15 % off and no tax (8.75% in NY) and free shipping.That's 23.75% off. Next 15% off window is July 4th, after that Labor Day. Price without GOLD 3 YR extended warranty (you can buy the plan within 30 days of purchase, as there is NO discount on it anyway) $1142.99

The tax savings alone usually pays
for the gold 3 year super warranty. THEN if someone spills on, drops or kicks it to death, I just take it in to my local
GC and they honor the warranty.
This method of shopping has saved me 1,000's initially and 1,000's more over the extended warranty time frame. Just sayin'

The deal I listed is 20% off with no tax and free shipping which I think is more than the 15% off you're talking about.

$1499.99 + 8.75% tax + free shipping = $1631.24
$1631.24 - 23.75% ($387.42) = $1243.82

If I'm wrong and the 23.75% savings are applied to the list price of $1499.99 then I'd be happy to cancel my order and wait till July 4th. But, if it's not, I'm gonna keep my pre-order locked in.

Could you please clarify? Cause ~$50 is a nice meal.

Edit: I don't think sales tax would matter in my case as I live in PA, so 20% seems like it would be greater than 15%. Still would like to be wrong and save some money! The extended warranty is kind of nice.

Last edited:
Tax is never covered in discounts IIRC. The main advantage is dealing with GC for repair/replacement with the gold coverage INSTEAD of using Line 6 repair. Your 20% off purchase IS cheaper, as you not paying state taxes. You could still improve your purchase by simply ordering it with a VISA (other cards may have similar warranty extensions). It DOUBLES the 1yr warranty. WARRANTIES are going to be the critical factor with any new floor based product. Especially, 1st gen stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom