Heh... reverse delay...

Orvillain

Power User
So here is a thing. I use reverse delay a lot in our material, usually mixing it with a regular delay so you get bouncy textural undulations in time to the beat. Anyway, I was wondering why the Axe wasn't sounding as good as my two Boss DD7's in this respect.

Turns out that one of the devices - DD7 or Axe FX depending on how you look at it - was getting the timing wrong for the reverse delay. DD7 claims to be a quarter note when you tap its tempo, so I set the Axe to a 1/4 note too. But they do not match. At this setting the Axe is half the speed of the DD7... or in other words, the DD7 is 1/8 and the Axe is 1/4. Set the Axe to 1/8 for my reverse delay and it's all cushy now and sounds exactly the same - provided I tweak the crossfade time to 25ms instead of the default.

So here is a thing. I use reverse delay a lot in our material, usually mixing it with a regular delay so you get bouncy textural undulations in time to the beat. Anyway, I was wondering why the Axe wasn't sounding as good as my two Boss DD7's in this respect.

Turns out that one of the devices - DD7 or Axe FX depending on how you look at it - was getting the timing wrong for the reverse delay. DD7 claims to be a quarter note when you tap its tempo, so I set the Axe to a 1/4 note too. But they do not match. At this setting the Axe is half the speed of the DD7... or in other words, the DD7 is 1/8 and the Axe is 1/4. Set the Axe to 1/8 for my reverse delay and it's all cushy now and sounds exactly the same - provided I tweak the crossfade time to 25ms instead of the default.

Sounds like a cool trick. May have to try that. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom