Headrush Pedal board. Eleven modeling

This seems to be the most comprehensive HR thread here so I'll sort of revive it, though it's not that old.

Most of the discussion about the HR seems to revolve around amp modeling. What about just the effects? I have the amps and cabs and speakers I want so my only interest is in FX. Are the editing parameters of the various FX limited to "classic rock" style performing? Are the FX themselves geared toward "classic rock"? My interest is specifically in, non-"rock", "post-rock" , or whatever it's being called this particular hour. Think Brian Eno. Robert Fripp, Hammock, This Will Destroy You, etc.

The gapless thing is key, a interface that is easy to use when performing is key, being able to line up multiple delays or multiple reverbs, or multiple modulation effects in any order is exceedingly important: D>D>M>D>M>R>R.

After almost a year I'm hoping opinions and conclusions born out of real world performing are coming more to light.

Also, can exterior FX be inserted anywhere in the FX chain via a flexible audio loop; stereo sends and returns? If I want to insert an EHX Superego anywhere in the audio path, can it be done?

How do the FX compare to standalone boxes made by Strymon, Eventide, Moog, Empress, etc.?

I have an 11R and used it for quite a few years. The FX aren't bad quality-wise - the reverbs and delays actually sound quite nice. They are a bit "hi-fi" which I honestly like and they sound fairly "real". On the 11R itself (the Headrush might change this!) the limitations are pretty large though - you can't put any effect in any order outside of a few changes. The effects themselves have only a few parameters exposed. The FX loop can be on the input, right before the amp, right after the amp, or at the end of the chain.

The amp sounds are pretty darn good. I could live with it as a preamp into a better FX engine with an IR loader. Luckily the Axe does all of this!

All in all I'd say it's great for more classic rock rocks and not for really exploring ambient landscapes or deep ENOish thought experiments in sound. That's what the Axe excels at.

I have an 11R and used it for quite a few years. The FX aren't bad quality-wise - the reverbs and delays actually sound quite nice. They are a bit "hi-fi" which I honestly like and they sound fairly "real". On the 11R itself (the Headrush might change this!) the limitations are pretty large though - you can't put any effect in any order outside of a few changes. The effects themselves have only a few parameters exposed. The FX loop can be on the input, right before the amp, right after the amp, or at the end of the chain.

The amp sounds are pretty darn good. I could live with it as a preamp into a better FX engine with an IR loader. Luckily the Axe does all of this!

All in all I'd say it's great for more classic rock rocks and not for really exploring ambient landscapes or deep ENOish thought experiments in sound. That's what the Axe excels at.

That's just the kind of insight I was looking for! I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I think it's nice looking but now that I have had some time to think about it after my time with the Helix,the touch screen thing to me is very distracting but I do like the UI.
To me a better idea would be to have the ability to separate the two in a dock like fashion so people have the option to not have that business on the floor but maybe at the back line area via bluetooth, away from beer spills and such.

EDIT: I found Pete Thorns demo though this guy can sell ice to eskimos but the demo sounds killer!

Last edited:
I tried one at a guitar show in Dallas. I wanted to not like it but It’s awesome. You can dial in tones quickly and the interface is VERY good (and I generally think touch screens are gimmicky). I’m not sure if it’s got the deep editing and depth Is want but overall you can dial in VERY good tones quickly... I like it better than the Helix UI. Their FRFR powered speaker also sounded good. For the money it’s quite a slick rig. I’m not selling my Axe II yet though :)

It seems clear that they’ve spent their money on developing a very user-friendly interface - I especially like being able to tweak settings using the expression pedal.

Just saw a festival headliner run an 11r direct. He sounded bloody fantastic. Better than all the Kempers and 'pedalboard into Marshall' rigs that preceded him. Of course that had a bit more to do with having a good soundcheck and being a magnificent player. I was really surprised to see the 11r up there though.

Back
Top Bottom