Headrush 108 Issue

As long as the Mac or OSX is not more than a couple years old LOL seriously though
Okay so I covered some troubleshooting steps last night. Started by just playing the FM3 via my headphones so only headphones were connected. I experienced no issues. Then I plugged in my audio cable (PC to FM3) which goes in OUTPUT 2L & 2R; signal remained fine. Then I plugged in the USB cable; signal was fine for around 10 - 15 minutes and the weird noise started happening again across any type of tone. Turned off the FM3 for a bit, came back and tried the USB and audio cable to my macbook, and played without any issues for awhile. I didn't experience any issues with that combo. Tonight I will try all these steps with my Headrush monitor and new USB cable that Im receiving today. But Im starting to think there is an issue with that specific USB cable and my PC because when I hooked up my Kemper Stage to PC via that same USB cable, my PC would become unresponsive after a short amount of time (keyboard would not work, mouse could move cursor, but couldn't actually click anything). Any ideas on what could be causing the breakdown between my PC and that specific USB cable? At least tonight I will be able to test a new USB cable with the PC and if it works, then I will know it's the other faulty USB cable, but if it doesn't work, then there's something weird going on between my PC and USB, which I find hard to believe because I use my PC and mouse everyday via USB without issue. Look forward to hearing more experienced opinions.

I have a Headrush 108 that I use with my FM3 sometimes. I'm not experiencing any of those issues. It kind of has a blanketed sound but I think I paid like $175 so I can't really complain...

Okay so I covered some troubleshooting steps last night. Started by just playing the FM3 via my headphones so only headphones were connected. I experienced no issues. Then I plugged in my audio cable (PC to FM3) which goes in OUTPUT 2L & 2R; signal remained fine. Then I plugged in the USB cable; signal was fine for around 10 - 15 minutes and the weird noise started happening again across any type of tone. Turned off the FM3 for a bit, came back and tried the USB and audio cable to my macbook, and played without any issues for awhile. I didn't experience any issues with that combo. Tonight I will try all these steps with my Headrush monitor and new USB cable that Im receiving today. But Im starting to think there is an issue with that specific USB cable and my PC because when I hooked up my Kemper Stage to PC via that same USB cable, my PC would become unresponsive after a short amount of time (keyboard would not work, mouse could move cursor, but couldn't actually click anything). Any ideas on what could be causing the breakdown between my PC and that specific USB cable? At least tonight I will be able to test a new USB cable with the PC and if it works, then I will know it's the other faulty USB cable, but if it doesn't work, then there's something weird going on between my PC and USB, which I find hard to believe because I use my PC and mouse everyday via USB without issue. Look forward to hearing more experienced opinions.
New USB cable is a great start. Make sure OS is updated, and all drivers are up to date as well. (Drivers can be wonkee sometimes, and OSX can be tricky with some peripheral drivers). I would still confirm if the FM3 mains out to 108s experience these issues without any connection to the PC (I wish I could get that last phrase to blink). To isolate any issues with drivers / OSX / USB cables I would isolate that entire ecosystem from the FM3. My hypothesis is that there is a potential incompatibility with the FM3 USB drivers (which would not be an FM3 issue).

I would not have FM3 Edit open and connected at the same time at this stage either.

New USB cable is a great start. Make sure OS is updated, and all drivers are up to date as well. (Drivers can be wonkee sometimes, and OSX can be tricky with some peripheral drivers). I would still confirm if the FM3 mains out to 108s experience these issues without any connection to the PC (I wish I could get that last phrase to blink). To isolate any issues with drivers / OSX / USB cables I would isolate that entire ecosystem from the FM3. My hypothesis is that there is a potential incompatability with the FM3 USB drivers (which would not be an FM3 issue).
Yeah first thing Im trying tonight is FM3 only connected to Headrush and see if signal is fine. If I experience no issues, then I will try the new USB cable

Yeah first thing Im trying tonight is FM3 only connected to Headrush and see if signal is fine. If I experience no issues, then I will try the new USB cable
That's the ticket. Now you are a scientist too. Fix all variables but one, test hypothesis, move to next variable. :sunglasses:

Be thankful this isn't happening during a gig. That is the absolute worst, with your bandmates staring down at you while you jiggle wires and such. I've been there, and learned from the stress and humiliation.

That's the ticket. Now you are a scientist too. Fix all variables but one, test hypothesis, move to next variable. :sunglasses:

Be thankful this isn't happening during a gig. That is the absolute worst, with your bandmates staring down at you while you jiggle wires and such. I've been there, and learned from the stress and humiliation.
Oh believe me it's happened before, not with FM3, but I know people have experienced issues live with FM3. But my second gig with the Kemper Stage I switched to a profile that was a half step down and after the song I switched back to a normal profile but something happened and the profile stayed tuned to half step down even though I had no active transpose effect. For a whole song, my band and I didn't know what to do lol. That's just the nature of electric units I guess, instead of tubes blowing, we have weird glitches. I just hope I can find the solution to this because I want to be able to edit stuff on my more powerful PC

Oh believe me it's happened before, not with FM3, but I know people have experienced issues live with FM3. But my second gig with the Kemper Stage I switched to a profile that was a half step down and after the song I switched back to a normal profile but something happened and the profile stayed tuned to half step down even though I had no active transpose effect. For a whole song, my band and I didn't know what to do lol. That's just the nature of electric units I guess, instead of tubes blowing, we have weird glitches. I just hope I can find the solution to this because I want to be able to edit stuff on my more powerful PC
Imagine getting stuck with this tuning / setup:

The Headrush speakers are phenomenal and I have owned several...ran a FOH rig in Budapest several times and they were spot on. They do of course have a tiny bit of ambient hiss that goes away once a signal is applied. I've used them outdoors for DAYS on end for gypsy weddings...in the middle of the July summer sun/heat. They never faltered.

Imagine getting stuck with this tuning / setup:

The sound did come back when I used headphones. Sometimes if I move the unit or lift it up and put it back down it goes away. I also tried changing the noise gate settings as per suggested by another user and that can help. But overall it still seems like this issue is a dart throw. But last night was much better than prior nights

The Headrush speakers are phenomenal and I have owned several...ran a FOH rig in Budapest several times and they were spot on. They do of course have a tiny bit of ambient hiss that goes away once a signal is applied. I've used them outdoors for DAYS on end for gypsy weddings...in the middle of the July summer sun/heat. They never faltered.
I partially agree. I think they’re great for the cost and sound fine when you can turn it up. But they always make some low hiss that’s very annoying and they sound pretty bad at bedroom levels.

The sound did come back when I used headphones. Sometimes if I move the unit or lift it up and put it back down it goes away. I also tried changing the noise gate settings as per suggested by another user and that can help. But overall it still seems like this issue is a dart throw. But last night was much better than prior nights
Are you plugged directly into the wall, or are you using a power strip with multiple other items plugged in? Are you using any power conditioning? If not, I might try that. While you are not getting 60 cycle hum, you could have some kind of line anomalies that could be playing with the output.

For background: https://www.techhive.com/article/30...noises-from-your-audio-and-video-systems.html

I partially agree. I think they’re great for the cost and sound fine when you can turn it up. But they always make some low hiss that’s very annoying and they sound pretty bad at bedroom levels.
NEVER had an issue at 'bedroom' volume, and I was playing them VERY low (our house in Hungary is all brick/stucco, so playing loud is not appealing). The hiss is nothing worse than even a good pair of Adam monitors. Maybe you received one that was defective? At one time I had 6 108s and 4 112s, and were all purchased from different companies (that had the best deals going here in the EU), at different times. The venues loved them, couldn't believe the sound, and the crowds had no complaints. The gypsies were always trying to get me to sell them to them for half price as well...

Are you plugged directly into the wall, or are you using a power strip with multiple other items plugged in? Are you using any power conditioning? If not, I might try that. While you are not getting 60 cycle hum, you could have some kind of line anomalies that could be playing with the output.

For background: https://www.techhive.com/article/30...noises-from-your-audio-and-video-systems.html
I use a power strip with my PC and phone charger plugged in as well

I use a power strip with my PC and phone charger plugged in as well
Get it away from your phone. Seriously my iPhone 12 would interfere EVEN with the FM3... As soon as I unplugged the iPhone, issues went away. PC will cause all sorts of fun stuff as well. Or at least get a power conditioner (you can get one of those single plug belkin things) for your FRFR speaker.

Get it away from your phone. Seriously my iPhone 12 would interfere EVEN with the FM3... As soon as I unplugged the iPhone, issues went away. PC will cause all sorts of fun stuff as well. Or at least get a power conditioner (you can get one of those single plug belkin things) for your FRFR speaker.
DING-DING_zpsk6iih1xk[1].gif

I can 2nd this in my own observation - at work and at play. I would always put my phone into Airplane Mode during gigs for this exact reason.
Good catch @mtripp

Used FM3 live for the first time at rehearsal last night. Plugged OUT1 into the board and OUT2 into my headrush 108 monitor. NO weird sound. That was the biggest platform I was concerned about.
Great news.

To help solve potential future line interference issues, this would be an excellent thing to have with your gig tools. It has saved me a few times from bad power conditions, and especially isolating the ground of the "amp" from that of the "effects" (or two amps running in stereo in my case). No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Amazon product ASIN B0002E4YI8

Back
Top Bottom