Headphones

I'm thinking about buying the beyerdynamic dt 770 pro's or dt 880 pros. Any suggestions on which would be better for the axe, or if there are other headphones out there that might be better than these but in the same price range. I want the headphones be as close to frfr as possible.

Damn... $1000 for the Audeze LCD-2.

I have the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro's (80 ohm) and they sound really good. Years before that I used the Sony MDR-V600 and they wipe the floor with those, no comparison, Beyer's hands down. For 'ear phones,' I really like the Skull Candy Heavy Medal earphones. I also just got the Monster Turbine for $80 on Amazon and those bad boys sound even better!

I checked out the DT770s, the AT 50s, AKG 240s and 271s. I chose the 271s and am perfectly happy. The ATs were not far off and neither were the 770s - but for me the AKGs were the winner. NO way I could stretch to the Audeze.

Ditto for the DT770 pro, I got the 250ohms. The hp output of the Axe will drive it fine, just not earblisteringly loud.

Check my other posts for the list of what I compared them to. All of the above and way more. The DTs kept bringing a smile to my face. Difference between 880 and 770 was too small to justify the price at the time.

Here is the DT 770 graph:

graphCompare.php

From 200 to 1,000 they are fine, but that 80-150 hump will hype the bass.

You could add a PEQ around 105hz to flatten it out for headphone use.

It is known for strong bass and some don't like it at all. Lots of people mod the 770 and claim 880 specs. I don't think they have the same drivers.

I seem to like a beefy low end.

But what brought about the smile was mostly the vibrant highs i perceived. It seemed more alive and detailed than others. It had more air and liveliness to it and at the same time a sort of calm that allowed me to enjoy the detail. I heard stuff I never heard before on recordings I thought I knew pretty well. None of the others did that for me. Many were brighter, but not more detailed.

But by all means you have to try them yourself. Above is all my opinion and through my ears. Yours may vary.

thanks for the feedback guys. I think I am going to go with the 880s because I know the axe fx is kinda bass heavy to begin with, and if the 770's add bass and the 880s dont, id rather have the 880s

I wouldn't use them for mixing anything, but in the mobile category, I love my Bose MIE2i's. They sound decent and they're not full in-ear which I hate. In-ears never work for me when exercising and the Bose stay positioned decently, have good bass response and generally sound much better than any Ipod type solution I've used before. Stuff on my Ipod has never sounded so good. I can even hear the bass player and hold a conversation at the same time if I want. I've thought about trying them as monitors, but haven't done so yet.

I did look into and eventually purchase the Audeze headphones based on Luke's ongoing recommendation. They are awesome, though I find that if I tweak only with them, I tend to make patches a bit bright because they have a little high end roll off.

I wouldn't use them for mixing anything, but in the mobile category, I love my Bose MIE2i's. They sound decent and they're not full in-ear which I hate. In-ears never work for me when exercising and the Bose stay positioned decently, have good bass response and generally sound much better than any Ipod type solution I've used before. Stuff on my Ipod has never sounded so good. I can even hear the bass player and hold a conversation at the same time if I want. I've thought about trying them as monitors, but haven't done so yet.

I did look into and eventually purchase the Audeze headphones based on Luke's ongoing recommendation. They are awesome, though I find that if I tweak only with them, I tend to make patches a bit bright because they have a little high end roll off.
Thanks for that MikeyB59. I decided to give the MIE2 (Android) a try after reading this and they're just what I've been looking for for exactly the reasons you list.

Every time I read Luke's posts I wonder what those Audeze headphones would be like... wonder if that's next ;-)

I absolutely love the DT770's for listening to music.

HOWEVER, I thoroughly do not suggest them for the Axe. As you can see in the frequency graph posted above, they are hyped in the lows and high highs. There is a big dip from around 1.5khz to around 5khz. This is the range that is essential to a lot of your guitar tone. Compared to headphones with a flatter response, the DT770's make my patches sound very thin and trebly. Even though the midrange technically is not recessed (again, look at the graph), it sounds recessed due to the spike in the highs and lows.

I've tried the Axe with 5 different pairs of decent headphones, each with different sound signatures, and liked the DT770's the least.

I just got a the Audeze LCD-2 headphones as per Luke's advice.
These really are fantastic, now I really can hear all the quality of my Axe II
Thanks, Luke

After about 50 hours use they will blossom and sound ever better! Hook them up to something like an iPod and run them at around "2" on the volume while you are at work all week to speed up the break in.

Back
Top Bottom