Headphones?

but you are using an audio interface,what happen when you cant use your audio card?that is why i use a headphones amp.
Read the rest of my post. I used the sound and volume I get with the audio interface as a reference for comparison to the volume and tone I get with headphones only.

Thanks for replies people, surely you can see how confusing it gets. Sorry but "I have a pair of AKG K271 @ 55 ohms, use a Steinberg UR22 audio interface and have the AX8 Out 1 nominal set to -10 dBV when using this configuration" No offence bloke and the advice is valuable, But I cant spell it any simpler. I just want to just plug it headphones via an adaptor. No interface, Space Shuttle 747 flight deck. Surely you must know what I mean. I now have the AX8 on its way. Y cable or ordered too. Sony headphones with specifations above. Will this do? Cheers. Gotta say again with no fear. What the hell was Fractal thinking of? From modest Boss, Line 6 all have headphone sockets or did they try and emulate Apple on being awkward?

Surely they know people just want to play on the sly without annoying folk
I explained how I use headphones without an interface:
When I use the AKGs with the AX8 alone, I use a female TRS to dual male TS Y cable, set the Out 1 nominal level to +4 dBu and get the same tone and feel that I do running the headphones through my UR22. If this is too much trouble, then you may want to consider a headphone amp but the 10 seconds it takes to switch the Out 1 nominal is not enough of an inconvenience to justify the price of an amp to me.
I took the time to compare the tone I get with the interface in hope's of showing the type of tone you can expect with headphones only. Sorry if it's too much but I try to spell things out and give context rather than just a glib yes or no then be asked why or how. You'll find a lot of guys here that have a lot of knowledge and are willing to help and will go to great lengths to explain things to eliminate as much confusion as possible. Might be worth it to read what they have to say rather than skim over and disregard their reply because the question wasn't answered in the first sentence.

but the 10 seconds it takes to switch the Out 1 nominal is not enough of an inconvenience to justify the price of an amp to me.

i tried to plug my headphones to an audio card and with Y cable and i didnt like the sound,with a headphone amp i get better sound,buy the M-Audio Bass Traveler is less than $30 bucks,do some test with the audio interface,Y cable and the M-Audio Bass Traveler and come back to me with your results.

Simple answer: No. Ax8 was not designed with an integrated headphone amp.

Not so simple answer: If your headphones have a low enough impedance, the line level signal should be able to run them.

... and the 40 ohms of the Sony headphones should be low enough.

@Sonofiam why do you use -10 dBv level for your audio interface? +4 dBu should be optimal.

... and the 40 ohms of the Sony headphones should be low enough.

@Sonofiam why do you use -10 dBv level for your audio interface? +4 dBu should be optimal.
Because -10 dBv gives me the best results for my purposes. I spent a fair amount of time dialing in the AX8 with my system and live and it's the setting that gives me the control I need to get what I want to hear. I could go into more detail but I don't feel the need to justify how I use my gear to people who think they know how to use it better. Sorry if that seems snarky but I for one am growing weary of seeing comments from users that think their way is the best, correct or 'optimal' when there are many ways to achieve the same thing.

You need a headphone amp/ audio interface for nice balanced proper headphone sound on the AX8.. I have tried going directly from the outputs on the AX8 and it is not designed for headphones, so it sounds BAD. To make it work for headphones its really no drama... I got hold of a UR12 USB audio interface (many to choose from), i plugged that into my PC and installed the drivers.... I then take an XLR lead out of the AX8 into this audio interface box, and on the front of the UR12 is a proper headphones out with dedicated volume knob. The sound quality difference is noticeable it gives a far more balanced sound.

You need a headphone amp/ audio interface for nice balanced proper headphone sound on the AX8.. I have tried going directly from the outputs on the AX8 and it is not designed for headphones, so it sounds BAD. To make it work for headphones its really no drama... I got hold of a UR12 USB audio interface (many to choose from), i plugged that into my PC and installed the drivers.... I then take an XLR lead out of the AX8 into this audio interface box, and on the front of the UR12 is a proper headphones out with dedicated volume knob. The sound quality difference is noticeable it gives a far more balanced sound.

That’s not my experience, the HD650s sound the same direct from AX8 via a Y cable as they do when the ax8 is plugged into my £200 mixer running the same headphones.

Simple answer... when your AX8 and adaptor arrive try it with whatever headphones you wish. If it doesn't give you the results you want then add a headphone amp to the equation. I'm thinking you will be more than happy without an amp with your headphones.

Gratitude mate for much help. But I am seriously getting the hump. My headphone isn’t XLR. The Y cable isn’t XLR. Proper frustrated mate. I’m throwing money in a goose chase. No fault of anyone, cos the help is plentiful but everyone has a different version. I tried the Y into random 1/4 sockets. Not many left after other cables connected and was dead quiet. Many thanks though mate. Especially for the diagram!

Gratitude mate for much help. But I am seriously getting the hump. My headphone isn’t XLR. The Y cable isn’t XLR. Proper frustrated mate. I’m throwing money in a goose chase. No fault of anyone, cos the help is plentiful but everyone has a different version. I tried the Y into random 1/4 sockets. Not many left after other cables connected and was dead quiet. Many thanks though mate. Especially for the diagram!
you need a cable like this one ...https://www.ebay.com/p/Hosa-YMP-434...m=292502742879&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850 also most headphones come with a 1/4 adapter,but like a told you before get a headphone amp,you will need a cable like this one https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1252217-REG/kopul_smyc_m2pm6_stereo_mini_to_dual.html

There are also two 1/4” outputs circled in that image - next to the XLRs on the RHS. That’s the main output- plug the y cable into the R and L and turn the output 1 dial up.

Mate, I cannot show my gratitude enough! Output level +4dbu was the one. Sounds the same as my Ax2 volume now. I'm as happy as Larry. Just why the hell there are multitudes of threads on this I don't know?

Interface and the rest? I made my post clear enough I hope. When people think of any headphone use, what do they think? Headphone into phone, stereo, tv? Again no offence to many others but sometimes people just think of the most complicated or out of the box ideas. Plug into desk? Interface? Headphone amp? My bigest beef is with Fractal. Why the hell don't they post advice message to users? Fractal is boss, but without the footsoldiers on this forum, we are left with the controls of a 747 flight deck! Blaggers and others who post tips videos and adviceI salute you, many many thanks. Fractal sorry but you can do one!

I'm reading along trying to learn here myself. But I have a question.

I am considering the blue mofi's but before I go to the store to try them I thought I'd plug my (cheapo) headphones into my ax8 directly here to see what it's like first. They are a bit too quiet so that answers that for me but this is the first time I've actually tried to plug them in direct. Normally I have them plugged into my interface.
What I notice is that when direct, its in mono only coming through one side.
My question is: This y cable adapter that keeps being mentioned (Hosa YMP-434), will that turn it to stereo in the headphones? Or will headphones plugged direct always be in mono?

Plugging into the interface is great and is mentioned a lot as the easy answer to questions about headphones... but personally that stuff is all set up near the computer. I don't necessarily want to sit at my computer when just practicing guitar. :)

Back
Top Bottom