Headphones?

I scoured far and wide on different threads but none the wiser. Can I just buy a cable to enable me to use headphones and play in quiet? Keep seeing headphone amps, interfaces, etc. Just a cable, no drama. Many thanks I’ve seen mention of Y cable but my Maplin has many different types. Many thanks

You’re joking? Sold my Ax2 yesterday and just won’t pull trigger over this. So just this cable, plug headphones and bobs yer uncle? What was all the other stuff about interfaces, certain headphones not working, headphone amps? Many thanks

Read thread again. This cable is mentioned but then just below is comment “but you’ll definitely need a headphone amp” Am I just making this complicated. Read that certain headphones don’t work too. Honest truth this is major for me. Fractaless! But no way buying if I can’t play in silence with a whole studio setup! Lol what were Fractal thinking anyway in leaving it out?

I have one of these adapters with a female mini-jack and it works great with my Blue 'Mo-Fi' headphones. Their impedance is only 42 Ohms. They have a built-in amplifier for low power output devices, but I haven't needed it yet.

What phones do you have? What's their impedance?

Sony MDR MA300. They work well from my HD500X to the Axe2. Cheers for help mate. Can’t wait for the AX8. Can actually carry and use it at gigs now!

• Sony MDR-MA300. Cable Length: 2 m. Width: 15 cm. Acoustic system: Open
  • Frequency: 10 - 24000 Hz
  • Sensitivity: 102 dB
  • Impedance: 40 ohms
  • RMS rated power: 4 cm
  • Magnet Type: Ferrite. Cable Length: 3 m
  • Contacts: gold-plated. Weight: 245; COLOUR OF PRODUCT: Black. Don’t even know what this stuff means but they work and sound pretty good!

Arghhh! Don’t want a headphone amp. Will the Y cable not work? Thanks for advice but this forum kills me sometimes. Why is this so hard to do?

You don't need a headphone amp! I have a pair of AKG K271 @ 55 ohms, use a Steinberg UR22 audio interface and have the AX8 Out 1 nominal set to -10 dBV when using this configuration. I have the AX8 going into the UR22's 1/4" input therefore it's line level. I have my presets just over nominal or zero on the VU meter and Out 1 level set @ 50%. The Gain and Output on the UR22 are at 50% as well, going into a pair of Behringer Truth B2030A* powered monitors set to nominal as well. Plenty of volume and "punch".

When I use the AKGs with the AX8 alone, I use a female TRS to dual male TS Y cable, set the Out 1 nominal level to +4 dBu and get the same tone and feel that I do running the headphones through my UR22. If this is too much trouble, then you may want to consider a headphone amp but the 10 seconds it takes to switch the Out 1 nominal is not enough of an inconvenience to justify the price of an amp to me.

*BTW, don't knock the Behringers, I had a pair of Event TR-8's that crapped out on me after a couple of years and the Behringers were supposed to be a cheap fix. They ended up sounding amazing so I had no need to look any further. Been using them for over 10 years.

Purely depends upon the headphones. I have Sennheiser HD650 which are plenty loud enough, but some B&W and Bose earphones are slightly too quiet. Depends on the headphones efficiency and impedance.

Thanks for replies people, surely you can see how confusing it gets. Sorry but "I have a pair of AKG K271 @ 55 ohms, use a Steinberg UR22 audio interface and have the AX8 Out 1 nominal set to -10 dBV when using this configuration" No offence bloke and the advice is valuable, But I cant spell it any simpler. I just want to just plug it headphones via an adaptor. No interface, Space Shuttle 747 flight deck. Surely you must know what I mean. I now have the AX8 on its way. Y cable or ordered too. Sony headphones with specifations above. Will this do? Cheers. Gotta say again with no fear. What the hell was Fractal thinking of? From modest Boss, Line 6 all have headphone sockets or did they try and emulate Apple on being awkward?

Surely they know people just want to play on the sly without annoying folk

I have a pair of Sennheiser hd 201 and I just use the headphones and y cable and it sounds perfect. NO headphone amp required.

Arghhh! Don’t want a headphone amp. Will the Y cable not work? Thanks for advice but this forum kills me sometimes. Why is this so hard to do?
is hard for you man to just connect a headphone amp?you will get a better sound and you connect cables to the AX8 and headphone amp in lees than a minute.

Back
Top Bottom