Headphones?

I use an Alesis iO2 Express interface, which I use between my computer and Axe-Fx II audio outputs. I've found this relatively inexpensive little box to be quite indispensable. There are lots of similar options available on the market. I send audio to a pair of Yamaha HS80M powered monitors and Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones. It also serves as a MIDI interface. You can use it to record and play with a DAW (I'm using Cubase) and the MIDI is useful when playing virtual instruments like drums and keyboards (just plug a MIDI keyboard and/or pad controller). MIDI interface also useful for updating firmware on MFC-101. You can blend backing track levels and overall volume from the iO2. I rarely use the headphone out on the Axe-Fx II since this interface has so many features. However, there's nothing like playing through monitors and moving some air.

Last edited:
The Axe FX definitely can sound good through headphones! Just get the best headphones that you can afford! I got me some Blue Mofi ($350) on recommendation from this forum and am happy with them.

I use Sennheiser HD600 phones. Because of their input impedance they need a headphone amp.

I'm using Beyerdynamic DT100 headphones with my Axe-FX II XL. They are pretty high impedance (400 ohm), and most modern "consumer" headphone outputs will not drive them. The Axe-FX drives them just fine without needing a headphone amp.

Liam

When I finally decided to get into a decent set of headphones I found that after trying out 15 or so different sets that I really liked open backs instead of closed back / isolation phones.

From there I ended up with the BeyerDynamic DT990 Pro 250 Ohm, and they translate perfectly between a pair of atomic CLR wedges and my desktop Mackie monitors.

I've even used em live with my Carvin wireless instead of my IEMs buds, and it's a pretty cool experience when you are not isolated but still get a high end quality monitor mix on you ears :)

Also the Axe FX II has no problem driving these 250 Ohm headphones. I never have to use more than 50% phones output.

I find that I need an amp to drive headphones; too old and too much wear and tear on the eardrums. I can't imagine 50% on 250ohms!

I find that I need an amp to drive headphones; too old and too much wear and tear on the eardrums. I can't imagine 50% on 250ohms!

Perhaps it's just in how you've leveled your presets? When I said 50% I meant that as any more signal than that and I would probably blow out the drivers in these headphones.

/shrug

Perhaps it's just in how you've leveled your presets? When I said 50% I meant that as any more signal than that and I would probably blow out the drivers in these headphones.

/shrug

Yes, that could be it - most patches (@ the AMP) are down 9-12 db on output. You make a good point. What is the headroom people tend to leave? I'm rather new, so I've left many patches as they were at Q1.01, but so many firmwares later ... perhaps time to revisit.

I use a set of Bose QC15's. Truth be told, headphones are as good a sound as you can get out the Axe. Imaging blows away real cabs...and you get a real sense of exactly what it should sound like. If you're not using FRFR monitors, headphones will give you something very close to that; far closer than any (non FRFR) cab.

I use the BeyerDynamic DT 880 Pro. I don't use headphones much but they sound pretty good and seem to translate well to my XiTone and Friedman wedges and to PA.

Yes, that could be it - most patches (@ the AMP) are down 9-12 db on output. You make a good point. What is the headroom people tend to leave? I'm rather new, so I've left many patches as they were at Q1.01, but so many firmwares later ... perhaps time to revisit.

I typically have -12 to -13 dB at the amp output, and leave the cab block at default values. I use a few very saturated fuzzy sounds, and was getting occasional output clipping if I went very much higher. At these settings I tend to need Output 1 to be around noon or 1 o'clock to have satisfactory volume in my 400 ohm DT100 headphones.

I'm rather new to this as well, but seem to have put some hours in. ;)

Liam

I'm using Beyerdynamic DT100 headphones with my Axe-FX II XL. They are pretty high impedance (400 ohm), and most modern "consumer" headphone outputs will not drive them. The Axe-FX drives them just fine without needing a headphone amp.

Liam

Agreed - the AFX will drive my HD600 phones just fine, too. In my case, the reason for using a headphone amp with them is not for volume but for better range, especially bass response.

I did an A/B comparison and that sold me on the outboard amp. Of course, YMMV.

I use the BeyerDynamic DT 880 Pro. I don't use headphones much but they sound pretty good and seem to translate well to my XiTone and Friedman wedges and to PA.

I just ordered these over the weekend, really looking forward to hearing them. I've heard wonderful things from friends who use them with the AFX.

Agreed - the AFX will drive my HD600 phones just fine, too. In my case, the reason for using a headphone amp with them is not for volume but for better range, especially bass response.

I did an A/B comparison and that sold me on the outboard amp. Of course, YMMV.

It might vary a bit yet - I'm hoping to find that straight DT100s will give me a reasonable feel for what I'm going to get from an FRFR cab when it arrives. If I can't make sense of that, and outboard amp might well be needed...

Liam

Back
Top Bottom