Headphones: What are your go to reverb and room settings in the cab block to give the sound just a touch of air and width?

I’ve always used the room settings in the cab block along with either a small room reverb or a medium room reverb to get a noticeable room sound that makes it sound like I’m across the room from the amp in either a small room or a big room, but I’ve been re-evaluating this today. My go to sound always sounds a bit far away, but as a result some of the detail gets lost and the low end isn’t as refined.

I was experimenting today with completely different settings for a tighter, more direct sound. I’m trying to dial in settings that make it feel like the amp is right in front of me with a little width and a very subtle room sound that isn’t obvious. It’s really a balancing act between the room setting, the room reverb, and some EQ tweaking and I haven’t been able to find that balance yet.

Anybody have some go to settings they can recommend?

I use reflection free ir’s and a small room reverb. I prefer that to the cab block room settings and full res ir’s.

Recording Studio C with the mix at 10-15%.

I’ve been using the small room, medium room, ambient, and even the drum room which all work fine for my taste depending on the sound I’m going for.

London Plate
Input 100%
Mix 10%-15
I don't use the room in the cab block.

The plate reverbs all sound too big for me.

It would seem based on the responses so far that the room parameters in the cab block are an underutilized tool for shaping space. I can honestly say that the reason I will never switch to a different modeler is because I can’t live without this feature. If you haven’t ever messed with this page, do yourself a favor. It’s invaluable for fine tuning the amps environment if you’re looking to give some “air”and room feel.

When using the YA 4x12 IRs (I like the KW pack!), try the 4x12 room mics in slots 3&4, mixed underneath until you can just sense their presence. Uncannily realistic in stereo.

For listening through headphones, I only use the Cab room page to add the 'openness'. Using the Reverb block feels and sounds a bit 'forced' IME. Here are the settings I use in the FM3, it's subtle but effective to my ears:
Adjust the Room Level and Size to get more or less of the effect.

1704741342639.png

Just now discovered the air and room settings in the cab block and I'm honestly blown away. I had no idea! The sweetness on the top end is amazing, really does a lot to clean up the chimeyness and make it more warm and pretty. I'm using a high gain setup btw. It just adds a realism and feel that I can't really explain but I'm pissed I've had it for 3 years with no idea how awesome it was for sound shaping

Back
Top Bottom