Headphone output clips sooner than output 1

I just noticed this yesterday when I ran my axe fx through a PA for the first time.

When I plug a moni XLR cable from output one, left, and send that to the PA it clips alot later that the headphone output. Normally on all my headphone patches I have to drop the levels by 12-18Db to prevent clipping. Through the PA i dont have to do anything. Does this happen to anyone else?

I haven't noticed it, but there are a lot of different factors involved. First they are probably different amps inside since one is a headphone and the other is line level. Another is that the impedance of headphones can vary all over the place which can roughly be equated to how sensitive a set of headphones will be meaning that the lower the impedance the sooner they get loud which means you can overdrive them easier than a high impedance headphone.

You should be able to adjust the output level on the front panel to set good levels when switching between each. That way if your patches are all balanced you only have to make one adjustment to tweak them.

As a matter of fact the output level acts as the volume control for the headphones and probably more like a trim control for the line outputs which to me makes sense based on what you are experiencing here.

I just noticed this yesterday when I ran my axe fx through a PA for the first time.

When I plug a moni XLR cable from output one, left, and send that to the PA it clips alot later that the headphone output. Normally on all my headphone patches I have to drop the levels by 12-18Db to prevent clipping. Through the PA i dont have to do anything. Does this happen to anyone else?

I have seen this as well and was going to try to duplicate it. I have patches that I play through my EV ELX112P's and there is no output clipping (headphones not connected)......I shut off the EV's, connect headphones to listen (Shure SRH440) and now my output...with exactly the same patch.... is clipping the outs.

Thanks,
D

Back
Top Bottom