Headphone/monitors for rich sound

These are a studio staple, flat with good low end. Comfortable for hours of use. All my clients comment on how good they sound and how comfortable they are.

https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/dt-770-pro.html
The whole DT 770/880/990 series has an extremely hyped high end. To me these headphones require frequency response correction to sound accurate. Super comfortable though.

I prefer the Sennheiser HD6XX/650. They are more reasonably accurate out of the box, still comfortable and not super expensive.

i use beyerdynamic dt770's 250 ohms.
However, when i am not playing through monitors, i also play on old apple ear pods with a 3.5mm jack are extremely enjoyable. they do color the sound ,but it always always sounds good to me. especially for tight modern metal.
Nothing beats the liveliness of monitors though.

I really like my Adam A7X. If you want to go cheaper, Yamaha HS8s sound very nearly as good and are a fraction of the price. With headphones, I find open-backs much more accurate and detailed. It depends on your budget, but I think the Sennheiser HD650s are pretty much the best of the best before you get into insane audiophile territory. A lot of audiophile-grade headphones have really hyped high end to provide more "detail" but it can be a bit misleading for mixing, especially with guitars.

Hi all, folks with better ears and/or more experience.
I’m using the FX 3 with Audio-Technica ATH-M20 headhones and JBL LSR 305 studio monitors.
My sound is never really rich or close to my real amps. It’s kinda dead. Good, but something is missing. OFC as bedroom player, I cannot really use my Morgan or Fuchs at home :(
When I was at a friends, he had Adam monitors (and Line 6) which sounded alive.
I heard many good things about Adam, I might give them a try (please let me know your experiences if you have!).
But I’m not sure what headhone I should try.
I’m not using it for studio work, only for practicing/noodling at home so maybe I shouldn’t look for something flat response, but something else.

It might sound lame, but maybe some of you still have suggestions?

Laszlo
Try a set of Yamaha HS8's. Or add a sub to to your JBLs to give you some more low end. For headphones, look for a pair that are comfortable first, and sound good 2nd. I went thru a lot of pairs, to end up with AKG's.

Headphones are always going to be tough to find as there's no FRFR headphones out there. They're all going to have heavy coloration, so at this point it's maybe what sounds best to you and what feels most comfortable on your ears

1) Treat your room
2) Get a corrective eq for your room there are a few like the Sonarworks products, dirac and even the trinnov at the top end.
3) Adjust things in the Axe FX to get you closer to your amps. Things like the Speaker Impedence Curve in the amp block, speaker thump, etc.
4) Try IRs that might be a little brighter if things sound dull as you said.
5) Move the jbls around the room to see if you are enhancing a room mode with the placement.

Getting the same speakers your friend has will most likely not fix your issue because the room plays a big part as well. The speakers and room have to play well together. Every room has certain resonant frequencies based on dimensions.

You're not going to like it, but....

1) Treat your room

This is the answer, assuming you're going for a studio style sound. You can do a lot by tweaking speaker placement. But, there's no substitute for a room that actually sounds good.

That being said.....if you're going for an amp-in-the-room sound and if you like your guitar amps in the same room, try moving one of the amps from where you play it and putting one of your monitors in the same place, turn it up to a halfway similar volume, and run mono out of the fractal.

It won't have the same radiation pattern as your cab, and it won't react with the room in exactly the same way. But, it'll be closer than trying to get a stereo image of a guitar amp, especially with complex effects, in front of you in a flawed room. I've done that before, and it's shockingly close to just listening to a guitar amp.

You may hate it, but it's worth a try before you buy more speakers.

Using the enhancer block with headphones make your preset sounds 10 times better . I always hated playing with headphone, but one day I have tried different solutions and yeah the enhancer helps a lot. It make you feel more comfortable, way less ear fatigue
I use phones all the time but I don't like the processed sound the Enchancer gives.

I think im the only one running headphones (first a bose set then 770DT) with zero issues regarding tone and headphones stopping me from having fun playing.

I don't think I've ever heard anything called an "enhancer" that actually made an improvement.
the spatialization of the sound change, it is less harsh . I m not a headphone player, but when I tried the enhancer it was night and day to me . If I had no choice playing with headphone I will use it

You are not the only one. I play with headphones (not by choice) for at least 25 years now. U have tried almost everything. Right now using NEUMANN NDH20 and NDH30 depending what I play.

I also use the cheap ADAM T7V and they sound fine.

The whole DT 770/880/990 series has an extremely hyped high end. To me these headphones require frequency response correction to sound accurate. Super comfortable though.

I prefer the Sennheiser HD6XX/650. They are more reasonably accurate out of the box, still comfortable and not super expensive.
Agree with the hyped high end.

I got the DT 1990 Pro and they sound awesome…..but only with e.g Sound Reference ID in the computer system and Auto EQ IR:s in a IR block last in the Axe signal chain.

Without that it’s nasty.

With headphones, try the Room level at 100 % in the Cab block and for added spatial effect, add the Enhancer block, use the Stereoizer at 100 % Width and 50 % Depth. Dial back from these settings, if too much. Note the Room setting will increase the level. Also, try a preamp in the cab block to tame highs just a bit. I use the Bipolar.

I love the sound from my Ollo Audio S4X Headphones, they translate very well to my Studio Monitors (Nubert X300RC)

Another vote for the Adam A7x from me. I had the JBL 305s and thought they sounded good, until I got the Adam’s. Totally transformed the sound for new with no other changes. Not cheap, but well worth it in my opinion.

Monitors don’t work for me in an untreated room.
I use a Sennheiser HD650 with a Sonarworks IR to flatten it completely.

Back
Top Bottom